SAR insurance, who has it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
My health insurance covers medical and emergency transportation. Where we live it's all helicopter transport. I don't know if I'd be covered out of state. I'll check on that now!

I looked into the InReach option for Air Ambulance service however, I was informed the KRH (Now Logan) Air Ambulance works in conjunction w/ Two Bear Air. At least for my stint in the Bob, BCBS covers though the sticking point is... it must be an "emergency" as defined by BCBS.

Anyone viewed their standard med insurance to see what they provide?

I looked into the InReach option for Air Ambulance service however, I was informed the KRH (Now Logan) Air Ambulance works in conjunction w/ Two Bear Air. At least for my stint in the Bob, BCBS covers though the sticking point is... it must be an "emergency" as defined by BCBS.

Anyone viewed their standard med insurance to see what they provide?
Since the county runs S&R anyway and services extremely limited here most here have PHI to cover the cost of a lifeflight out to a hospital. PHI is about $50 a year.
My lifeflight was covered by ins. Cost was $75k on the bill...

raw SAR is free in colorado.

helo costs.... pretty sure just depends on if it's a black hawk or flight for life that picks you up.

usually the national guard ferries around the SAR teams and the SAR teams themselves are free of charge to the victim.

when/if you get on a flight for life i feel like your medical insurance starts figuring things out.

need to research some of this again.

raw SAR is free in colorado.

helo costs.... pretty sure just depends on if it's a black hawk or flight for life that picks you up.

usually the national guard ferries around the SAR teams and the SAR teams themselves are free of charge to the victim.

when/if you get on a flight for life i feel like your medical insurance starts figuring things out.

need to research some of this again.
SAR is pretty much free in the US, helicopters included, generally it's a state-funded firefighting bird if available, or an NPS short-haul capable aircraft if available, or the Blackhawk, if things are bad... things change as soon as they hand you over to the air ambulance, those are for sure not free, not a lot of subscription options in CO that I know of either, at least on the western side there are so many providers it would be hard to predict what aircraft you would end up in anyways.. that said just recently the law was changed regarding billing, I believe the bill is now capped at what your insurance will cover, and out of pocket is capped if you do not have insurance? not sure what the exact amounts are... FWIW I usually keep up a global rescue or Ripcord insurance plan anyway, and definitely get that for international trips where the cost and availability of rescue are unknown, it's pretty reasonably priced for the peace of mind it provides.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back