San Francisco

Brian in Montana

I have to go to a conference next week in San Francisco. I can't say I have any interest in going to SF or really any city bigger than Dillon, MT, but I'm told I must. Any ideas on what I might do there in the off time?

Head down to the pier.check out pier 39.Great food and sights.Lots of seals!
Walk the boardwalk and check out the street vendors and breweries.And famous restaurants.
You can spend an entire day wandering and checking out the "Kooks" :cool:

Skype or some other sort of video conference...other than that don't wear your good boots.

Don't go to fisherman's wharf. Alcatraz is actually pretty interesting and the ferry bar makes a good bloody Mary. A ferry trip out to Sam's anchor for lunch is another good trip. A walk across the bridge on a nice day is worth it. For restaurants and bars just about every corner and street will have a good one, Google maps is pretty useful to find nearby ones with good ratings wherever you are. Best view of the bridge for pics is out on hawk hill out on the headlands.

Drive up the coast to Pt. Reyes and look for Tule Elk.

Good idea,Go up HWY 1 along the coast through the Muir Woods and back down
through Pt.Reyes Station.Great restaurants in Pt.Reyes.Ask the locals.Kind of $$.though.
I was stationed at Pt.Reyes and rented a cabin off base in the Muir Woods,Beautiful
area right on Tamales Bay. :cool:

The USS San Francisco memorial out at Land's end is a pretty sobering experience. A Giants game is also a good time on a nice day. Two of the best bars in town are on Haight - The Toronado has an incredible selection of beers, but be prepared to see some alternative looking people and cranky bartenders. Don't wave money.. Aub Zam Zam is a shrine to a different time and place..

Are you going to have a car? The Presidio @ Golden Gate. great hiking just north of the golden gate bridge and south San Bruno Mtns, or many other locations if you drive south on the 1. Go see redwoods or elk

Before you do any of those things suggested make sure you pick up your human feces/used syringe maps. Sorry you have to go to that craphole man!

Zarzuela has great tapas. Swan Oyster Depot and Tadich grill have great seafood. If you're single and looking for a West coast cowgirl hit Jaxson's. If you're looking for city girls, hit Union Street/Marina district.

I won't have a car while I'm there.

My supervisor has been trying to send me to this conference for 3 years and I always wriggle out of it. Just don't like cities and noise and crowds. I was born in West Texas but I'm pathologically Montanan in my old age.

Uber to Presidio and take a hike in the San Bruno Mtns (between SFO airport and downtown, very close); Hike up the hill towards the towers and you'll have great views

I've been to SF a couple times. Alcatraz was cool. My favorite thing about visiting big cities is trying new food...Ethiopian, Basque, try something new.

Alcatraz, the Ferry Building, SF Giants game, salmon fishing with the legend Jacky Douglas...aka Wacky Jacky, or the Rescino's on the Lovely Martha, walk or bike the GG bridge, and way way too many restaurants to list from hole in the walls to as fancy as you want. The Eater 38 list is usually pretty good for a range of restaurants.

SF is a cesspool.
Use Uber to get around.
Catch a giants game If they are in town.
Take a wander through the Tenderloin just to see how bad urban life can get.
Tommy’s Joint has pretty good sandwiches.

I have to go to a conference next week in San Francisco. I can't say I have any interest in going to SF or really any city bigger than Dillon, MT, but I'm told I must. Any ideas on what I might do there in the off time?

You will almost certainly reinforce your lack of interest in big cities, I find San Francisco Awful. And very expensive.

What I found interesting is having a rented car and taking side trips to affluent surrounding communities. Silicon Valley, wine regions up north etc.

If you do rent a car, NEVER LEAVE ANYTHING, OF ANY VALUE, EVER, IN A CAR, UNATTENDED in S.F. That is what the car rental agent told me.

Winchester Mystery House in San Jose if like that brand of gun. Can Uber there if have some money to burn. Maybe some other attendees have a rental car or will share the Uber fare. The 49ers play close to there is a game in town while are there.

In SF proper, can hit Scoma's on waterfront in SF for seafood and a view. After dinner, walk over to Ghirardellis for ice cream treat. If had an open day or two could take a wine tasting tour outside SF. SF Giants game can be nice but chilly after sundown. As Mark Twain noted, "The coldest winter I ever knew was summer in San Francisco."

Back