Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

San Francisco

We were just there for a couple of day at the end of family vacation (spent the week up in the redwoods). The Maritime National Historic Park was a huge highlight. Worth the $15 to go out on the pier and walk around the couple of 3 masted ships they have. The rest was interesting too but the big ships were pretty neat.

Fishermans Wharf is a once in a lifetime experience...carry your wallet in
your front pocket and your gun behind your belt.Seriosly,it can be a
great experience. :cool:

SF is a great place to visit. If you're not into mainlining heroin, enjoy the food and history. A car is a worthwhile investment to get out of town but in town, I like Hog Island Oyster Bar on the pier. They farm their oysters just out of the bay. Crossing the bridge to the Highlands and seeing the city from the North is a cool couple hour excursion. Alcatraz tickets are likely already sold out. Japanese Tea Garden inside the Golden Gate Bridge Park is pretty cool as well.

Good idea,Go up HWY 1 along the coast through the Muir Woods and back down
through Pt.Reyes Station.Great restaurants in Pt.Reyes.Ask the locals.Kind of $$.though.
I was stationed at Pt.Reyes and rented a cabin off base in the Muir Woods,Beautiful
area right on Tamales Bay. :cool:

X1000. I couldn’t of made a better recommendation.

Like the others have said if the Giants are in town catch a game if you're a baseball fan. If you decide to go to Fisherman's Wharf/Alcatraz, I'd definitely uber to get there - parking costs a small fortune. Being a "retired" submariner, I'd recommend visiting the USS Pampanito on Pier 45.

I took a total of 5 trips to SF over the course of a year staying almost 3 weeks one time in 2015-2016 for medical reasons. I hate cities but absolutely loved going to SF. My recommendation is to double your estimated food budget and enjoy some great food. My favorite part is that it is really a geographically small city only being about 7 miles by 7 miles but you can see just about any culture you want. My wife and I walked every where; one day her fit bit said we had gone over 23 miles. I did see some crazy things, a guy injecting another guy in the jugular, a guy rollerblading where only one tube sock, a really funny homeless beggar that I would go out of the way to walk by just to see what he was telling people that day. I only felt uncomfortable walking in the Tenderloin district one early morning. It was early enough that only the street people were there and some were tweaking pretty hard, one barely clothed lady was really freaking out looking for her crack pipe. For a short trip I would recommend getting a Hop on Hop off buss pass. It is about $50 for a couple hour tour of SF but you go through all the different districts and across the bridge and they tell you the history. The pass is good for 48 hours? maybe 24. Just ride it around once and then use it for the rest of the time to get close to where you are going. Check out the Wharf and pier 39 but I wouldn't recommend eating or spending any money there. One of my favorite meals was an Indian restaurant ordering a lamb curry. I had not eaten lamb or Indian food before. My wife has the names of all the best restaurants that we ate at if you want them. Alcatraz is worth the trip but you need reservations well in advance. We didn't take in any clubs or night life generally being home by about 9:00 so I don't have any recommendation if that is what you are after. Go with an open mind and enjoy yourself seeing how the crazy people live and thank the lord you can come back to MT.

If you go to Alcatraz make sure you buy your tickets from the main vendor, not a re-seller. We had tickets from a re-seller (unbeknownst to us) and they cancelled our trip the morning we were supposed to go because there wasn't enough spots. Refer to https://www.nps.gov/alca/planyourvisit/fees.htm . We're not sure how we got steered wrong but there are lots of folks that will tell you they are the only ones who sell tickets I guess.

Maybe walk through the Hate-Ashbury distict,then you'll be havin' Fun!!
We used to go down there on weekends when I was Stationed in Pt.Reyes
and harass the Wierdos and Kooks.Ah!, The Memories... :cool:

I had a great weekend in San Francisco in the early 80's. Fisherman Wharf was a must. Hired a small sailing boat for a couple of hours and took a sail under the Golden Gate. Highlight of the trip. Did a helicopter tour of the city. Not worth the money, but I did it. Dinner at a ship south of Fisherman Wharf docked; best swordfish in my life. Jazz club at 2 in the morning, fun.

The 80's. Should be different now and not as pleasant. Drove down the crookest street in America and it was crooked.

The best time was crossing the bridge to Oakland and doing shots in Jack London'd old bar.

Do what I did in San Diego this winter. Go to walmart, buy a cheap fishing combo and some hooks and sinkers and go sit on the piers at night and fish. Cheapest relaxing time there was, for me at least.

Muir Woods is really cool and a great walk/hike. Those trees are just neat. Alcatraz is neat and fisherman's wharf has some good chowder. You NEED to try Millionaire bacon at Sweet Maple. Lish.

Look up Hank Shaw and see if you can do some foraging... Maybe JR is having one of his fancy dinners?

Oh, and the Tenderloin is always an interesting walk.

Back