Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sam is going in the US Army!

T Bone

I'm proud to announce that my son Sam has enlisted for a 6 year hitch in the US Army.

He leaves in 4 days!

He's been a handful, as some of you know.... Two years ago I wanted to kill him quickly. One year ago I wanted to kill him slowly.

But he has shown some real signs of intelligence in the 12 months since high school graduation, and this is a very good thing for him!

He'll be a UH60 mechanic.

We'll be seeing him in 10 weeks at graduation in Fort Jackson, SC.

And yes, this will be our 2nd kid in the armed forces!

Congrats to him. Admiration and respect for you and the family you have raised.

Good to hear and hope he makes the most out of it! While he's active, make sure you ride his ass to get that civilian A&P, use the crap out of tuitions assistance and hire a financial planner beyond the confines of the base to handle his retirement stuff! The new blended retirement plan can be useful in the right hands and pay dividends for his future.

Last edited:
Big ups to dad for not killing the boy. :)

And congrats to the new soldier. I'm sure he'll make us all proud!

Congrats from the Ol Sarge here on the Front Range!! He picked the right time of year to get basic done.......Jackson in the summer is no-bueno :) Here is the bit of advice I gave all my brand new Joes...1) DO NOT buy a brand new car as soon as you get to your first duty station, and if you need/want a vehicle find someone senior to at least go with you for a voice of reason 2) Take advantage of your surroundings where ever you get stationed (aka Don't be a barracks rat), get our and experience things and 3) (and this one some don't like but I won't apologize for) DO NOT DATE ARMY CHICKS....PERIOD!!! Go as far from post as possible to find a girl....church....local sports clubs......meet folks doing something actually worthwhile. I (and I would bet the rest of the vets on here) am and always available to ask any questions for a new Brother!!

Congrats to you and you son! Uh 60 mechanic he may be air cav����

Congratulations to your son. Thumbs up to dad for not killing him.

Congrats to Sam and the entire family. The optimal path is not always easy to locate. I have more than once over my 6 decades stared in the mirror wondering whether to continue on the current path or venture boldly down a less known path. Most of the times I stay the course though a few times I confidently veered to pursue the new challenge. I have worn many hats and have all been interesting. May Sam have a wonderful adventure the next 6 years with his new hat!

Congrats from the Ol Sarge here on the Front Range!! He picked the right time of year to get basic done.......Jackson in the summer is no-bueno :) Here is the bit of advice I gave all my brand new Joes...1) DO NOT buy a brand new car as soon as you get to your first duty station, and if you need/want a vehicle find someone senior to at least go with you for a voice of reason 2) Take advantage of your surroundings where ever you get stationed (aka Don't be a barracks rat), get our and experience things and 3) (and this one some don't like but I won't apologize for) DO NOT DATE ARMY CHICKS....PERIOD!!! Go as far from post as possible to find a girl....church....local sports clubs......meet folks doing something actually worthwhile. I (and I would bet the rest of the vets on here) am and always available to ask any questions for a new Brother!!

4) Select a percent of your income and invest it into your TSP and NEVER stop. Any pay raises.... BUMP IT! Compound interest is your best friend!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back