Caribou Gear

Ryan Busse. Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title of the book is "Gunfight: my battle against the industry that radicalized America." But the details of what he fought against and how he fought that battle or the specific actions he took, didn't stand out? Or he did not say?

Notice it's "industry", not just Kimber.

Still waiting.

Did the lion slayer mention if he's an endowment NRA member, or just a life member?

Because honestly, it's pretty hard to believe, the 2 time salesman if the year, wasn't an NRA member.

I'll gladly stand corrected if proven so, but I can't think of a gun shop I buy guns at, that aren't very pro NRA.

I'm not a member, btw.

Notice it's "industry", not just Kimber.

Still waiting.

Did the lion slayer mention if he's an endowment NRA member, or just a life member?

Because honestly, it's pretty hard to believe, the 2 time salesman if the year, wasn't an NRA member.

I'll gladly stand corrected if proven so, but I can't think of a gun shop I buy guns at, that aren't very pro NRA.

I'm not a member, btw.
I think that's irrelevant.

I just won't be able to read the book for a while and genuinely want to get people's perspective on it.

The title makes it sound like it's a book documenting a major push against the industry to combat or change pillars in the gun industry. But I haven't seen (maybe I missed it) anyone really confirm that by sharing those significant actions. But I've heard multiple people say it's more of a memoir that recalls some of the things in that industry he didn't agree with or things he didn't approve, with the preface being his story about his life and how guns were part of it.

I just won't be able to read the book for a while and genuinely want to get people's perspective on it.

The title makes it sound like it's a book documenting a major push against the industry to combat or change pillars in the gun industry. But I haven't seen (maybe I missed it) anyone really confirm that by sharing those significant actions. But I've heard multiple people say it's more of a memoir that recalls some of the things in that industry he didn't agree with or things he didn't approve, with the preface being his story about his life and how guns were part of it.

Google Ryan Busse, NRA.

You don't have to read the book he's the toast of the town on left leaning podcasts, and radio. And, that "centrist" , The Daily Show.

Problem is, he stays real slick about HIS culpability in this "change".

He's also REAL slippery about who is paying him, it's not just Gifford's.

Trust me. If Randy or Steve Rinella are on the board of PETA next week, I'll take the same shots.

There are contractors I won't work for, because they do shitty work, cut corners, etc.
There are companies others won't work for in all industry for the same reason.

But I, or they, won't spend 25 years pushing those companies or contractors, then pretend it's "the other guy".

Go look at Kimber's website. Go Google Kimber's history.

Then figure out if Busse "waged a war" with the industry, or if he helped create it.

But compare Kimber Tactical pistols and rifles (remember, AR isn't the only tactical) and their year of creation, to Busse quitting in 2020, and try to figure out exactly how he "fought the industry".

I'm sure he's a good neighbor, treats his mom nice, but come on, how much reality do we suspend to believe the yarn tells?

The title of the book is "Gunfight: my battle against the industry that radicalized America." But the details of what he fought against and how he fought that battle or the specific actions he took, didn't stand out? Or he did not say?
I read the book about four months ago and I remember the main points, and that he described a lot of things he did, but I don't remember how he handled the particular situation you describe. Sorry if I don't meet your expectations for total recall. It really wouldn't hurt you to read it yourself and find these things out. Borrow it from someone or get it from a library.

If you already knew all about him, why did you bother asking?

The OP was more open minded. Read a few excerpts. Read a little. Was honestly curious if it was the usual media BS.

Then I got the he's a good neighbor, nice guy responses. Or my favorite, "he's not going to take your semi auto", and real quick it became obvious, the dudes defending him, weren't aware of what his new boss was calling for. They are, indeed, trying to take my 11yr olds break down, 10/22.

My dad was a big, "don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining, kind of guy". Just how I was raised.

So, a multiple, salesman if the year, dude from a 1911 manufacturer, who fell out of love with tactical, I can get.

But one who now works for an org, that would LOVE to end Kimber, not really.

My Spidey senses tingle. Be it his NRA membership status. Or his contention that the NRA came for him for his "public land advocacy"(BHA), something is off.

Especially as he is mildly challenged, and his response is "I have more guns than I can count".

You know anyone that has guns, but doesn't know how many? Any bets on how many of those are Kimber 1911's? Any bet on his NRA membership status?

I was mildly curious so I asked. But even his defenders, walked a bit of a circle. So I started looking.

But hey, I'm sure Tevor Noah really challenged him, so......(hint, go watch it, he didn't).

I never challenged if he was a nice guy, a good neighbor, a good citizen.

I did challenge his motivation.

Want to bet on what pays more, his board position and "consulting", or salesman?

Last. What's the difference between the NRA, and Gifford's? Other than the side they are on?

Both hype extemism. Both create half truths. Both create narratives. Both influence, via donor. Both are on polar extremes. Both paint the other as radicals.

I read the book about four months ago and I remember the main points, and that he described a lot of things he did, but I don't remember how he handled the particular situation you describe. Sorry if I don't meet your expectations for total recall. It really wouldn't hurt you to read it yourself and find these things out. Borrow it from someone or get it from a library.
Thanks for taking the time anyway.

It wouldn't. That's my intention.

You seem genuine. I was more interested in his perspective of what was happening around him with the industry and how it was being radicalized by an NRA that was nothing like the NRA of his youth. I didn't care much about his particular "battles" he engaged in so they don't stick out in my mind, but I do remember he got Journalist Elliott Woods into a SHOT show so he could see first hand the bat-shit crazy stuff that was going on. Elliott went on to write an article for the New Republic that didn't endear him to the NRA crowd.

I don't know what you mean by years, but had you read the book you would know that the gun manufactures wouldn't even allow them to be displayed at their industry trade shows when he started. Now they are heavily promoted. Do you dispute those facts? I lived through them.
Military guns have been converted to civilian uses since the beginning of firearms.

Military guns have been converted to civilian uses since the beginning of firearms.
You and Sytes must get your knee jerk reactions from the same source. As I told him, my comment was clearly about what gun manufacturers displayed and promoted at their events.

True but not relevant to this issue. This issue focuses on more recent ramping up of advertising and widespread promotion of such firearms, changing the public landscape.

What has really changed is the display of wannabe military garb and toting of these firearms at rallies, parades, and other public gatherings where citizens are intimidated, angered (as are veterans such as myself), and subsequently motivated to "fall off the fence" and be more inclined to support gun control measures. The irony is that these wannabe-warrior gun toting knot heads are unknowingly creating gun control supporters and in armed bliss are potentially motivating certain authorities to push for regulations, laws, policies in opposition to the gun-toters' vest pocket Constitutional perspective of their "rights".

Looks like the wife was the driving force in his change.

Behind closed doors, Busse was starting to question some of the political positions he’d accepted all his life. His wife Sara, who came from a Kansas hunting family, challenged Busse to think deeply about whether the Republican party really stood for his values. “With every school shooting, things became more and more fraught,” she told The Trace. When two teenagers killed a dozen of their classmates at Columbine, Sara called her husband at work to ask if he felt complicit in the tragedy. Whispering into the phone, Busse protested that Kimber rifles were usually too expensive to be used as crime guns. But Sara balked. “That’s what you have to say for yourself?” Busse remembers her asking. “That they didn’t use your guns?”

“She was asking me some pretty hard questions, and I didn’t have awesome answers for her,” he said. “And that sort of started the evolution and opened my eyes.”

True but not relevant to this issue. This issue focuses on more recent ramping up of advertising and widespread promotion of such firearms, changing the public landscape.

What has really changed is the display of wannabe military garb and toting of these firearms at rallies, parades, and other public gatherings where citizens are intimidated, angered (as are veterans such as myself), and subsequently motivated to "fall off the fence" and be more inclined to support gun control measures. The irony is that these wannabe-warrior gun toting knot heads are unknowingly creating gun control supporters and in armed bliss are potentially motivating certain authorities to push for regulations, laws, policies in opposition to the gun-toters' vest pocket Constitutional perspective of their "rights".
I understand where you’re coming from, but everything in America is about excess. Whether it be about motor homes, boob jobs, or 50 BMGs.

You seem genuine. I was more interested in his perspective of what was happening around him with the industry and how it was being radicalized by an NRA that was nothing like the NRA of his youth. I didn't care much about his particular "battles" he engaged in so they don't stick out in my mind, but I do remember he got Journalist Elliott Woods into a SHOT show so he could see first hand the bat-shit crazy stuff that was going on. Elliott went on to write an article for the New Republic that didn't endear him to the NRA crowd.
I never heard of the New Republic, Rob. So I read a few of their articles. One was by this guy.
That is definitely some bat shit crazy stuff.

@Sytes they also originally put cocaine in Coca-Cola. You can find adds for all kinds of stuff that wouldn’t fly today.

IMHO you have to compare firearm advertising to their contemporaries is other industries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back