Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

RIP Swiss Family Robinson

Those trying to wield it improperly can only wield it against those who don’t know it. When it’s only existence can be altered at will, it can be wielded improperly against everyone.
There is no real-world basis for this concern from my perspective. The theory of no paper and a single online source creates that theoretical possibility, but there are literally over a billion in print copies that are scattered to the four corners of the earth, and even if they somehow all evaporated there are thousands of separate independent repositories of existing versions across the internet. Over the next 100 years, there is zero chance that even half of the billion copies get destroyed and zero chance that all the myriad of current cloud versions get erased leaving us with a single revised "authorized" cloud copy that is used to materially change the message of the gospel. Thousands of Torahs survived the Shoah. Absent complete societal collapse this is a non-issue.

Not sure whether I should've posted this in this forum or in "Jokes", it could go either way...

Disney+ has removed Swiss Family Robinson, one of my all-time favorite movies as a kid, from it's service because of how the pirates are portrayed. So glad my kids got to watch (they loved it) it before the Thought Police swooped in! Now, I don't want any pirates to get offended, so keep this thread civil or I'll ask the mods to lock it...
images (1).jpg

There is no real-world basis for this concern from my perspective. The theory of no paper and a single online source creates that theoretical possibility, but there are literally over a billion in print copies that are scattered to the four corners of the earth, and even if they somehow all evaporated there are thousands of separate independent repositories of existing versions across the internet. Over the next 100 years, there is zero chance that even half of the billion copies get destroyed and zero chance that all the myriad of current cloud versions get erased leaving us with a single revised "authorized" cloud copy that is used to materially change the message of the gospel. Thousands of Torahs survived the Shoah. Absent complete societal collapse this is a non-issue.
Apparently you've never seen the Book of Eli.

Those trying to wield it improperly can only wield it against those who don’t know it. When it’s only existence can be altered at will, it can be wielded improperly against everyone.

Sounds like you have a bone to pick with Martin Luther. Never should have translated the Greek into German and given it to the printer.

I believe that the complete elimination is impossible, but I also believe that stamping out widespread availability of print versions is entirely possible. It’s been less than 100yrs since the Nazis were burning books, and the only thing that prevents it from happing again is teaching others that it’s a bad idea. Look how easy it would be to essentially eliminate Swiss Family. If Disney took it down completely, and Amazon and eBay disallowed selling the DVD on their platforms, it would suddenly become exceedingly difficult to come by. Books and book stores have been closing down because the cloud is more convenient for consumers. I’ve thrown dumpster loads of books away for customers because they were moving or cleaning, and the used book store and local library didn’t want them. Sean Hannity is suggesting that publishers just edit Dr Seuss to be less offensive. Consolidation and control of knowledge via disuse of print publication and centralized control of electronic data is entirely possible.

Keep in mind that “possible” is very different from “eminent”, “likely”, or “in the works”. For me to suggest that something is possible, is by no means suggesting that someone with the power to do so is actively planning to do so.

You also don’t think that there is any need for US citizens to be concerned that their government would abuse them if they were to become disarmed, yet disarmed citizens have been abused by their government repeatedly throughout human history, and as a species we are no more intelligent or moral today than we ever were.

Who owns all these independent clouds? It immediately became almost impossible for the president of the United States of America to make a statement to a large audience over the internet after Jan 6th, and Parler lost their hosting.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a bone to pick with Martin Luther. Never should have translated the Greek into German and given it to the printer.
I think you’ve failed to understand my post. I would very much be on Luther’s side. I’m suggesting that with widespread distribution of print versions, it’s difficult to change and suppress that the change occurred. If it only exists on the cloud, it can be changed, and anyone who claims that it was changed can be labeled a liar. In Luther’s time, the clergy could claim that the Bible said whatever they wanted to claim that it said, and there was a very limited number of people who could argue?

I think you’ve failed to understand my post. I would very much be on Luther’s side. I’m suggesting that with widespread distribution of print versions, it’s difficult to change and suppress that the change occurred. If it only exists on the cloud, it can be changed, and anyone who claims that it was changed can be labeled a liar. In Luther’s time, the clergy could claim that the Bible said whatever they wanted to claim that it said, and there was a very limited number of people who could argue?
I probably did miss your point, but I do agree that Luther was correct on many things and, of course, he did have some flaws too. Documents existing in totality, whether print or digital, can be taken out of context or misconstrued for whatever purposes the purveyor chooses, and it is incumbent on the recipients to be informed. Unfortunately, this is probably not the state of some elements of our current society.

It immediately became almost impossible for the president of the United States of America to make a statement to a large audience over the internet after Jan 6th, and Parler lost their hosting.
Luckily Vocl will save the day.🤮

Documents existing in totality, whether print or digital, can be taken out of context or misconstrued for whatever purposes the purveyor chooses, and it is incumbent on the recipients to be informed. Unfortunately, this is probably not the state of some elements of our current society.
Nicene?

Removing the gospel of Mary?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cohunter14
Back