MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Rifles

HighDesertSage

Well I purchased my wife a Remington model 750 Semi-Auto 270 rifle a few years ago for hunting and have regretted is ever since. It's an ok weapon, if kept clean it wont jam, and its accurate enough for deer and elk out to 300 hundred or so yards. However it really lacks the rugged durability I require for back country big game. It takes a certain degree of "Babying" to keep it functioning dependably. Given the current political situation regarding semi auto's I have decided to keep the rifle. But I plan on getting her set up with a new weapon system for next years hunts. I really like the performance vs recoil of the 270 round on deer and elk, so I probably will stick with that.(Here come the comments about the 270 being inadequate....We have killed four elk with this round). Anyways who here has the Howa rifles? I see randy uses them and seems to like them, anyone else? I have a browning xbolt, which I love, but its out of our price range right now. I am also looking at the Tikka T3 and Savage Models. Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks.

Oh and I want Synthetic stock and a blued barrel.

I have not shot the Howa.... but I do know that the savage is a great bang for the buck (pun intended) Very accurate rifles at a very good price, also easily customizable if you choose. Rugged and durable.... I would say that Savage fits the bill of what you are looking for exactly.

My wife has a savage 110 in .270 Win. shoots .3" groups at 100 yds with 140grn SST's on RL22

The .270 is a great round, killed 6 elk with mine. I just picked up a Tikka in another caliber (7mm08) and it shoots lights out better than any gun I have owned. For the price you cannot beat it.

My suggestion is to get her a bolt action in 308 Win. The short action will be a bit shorter and lighter than the same model in 270. When both are loaded with the same weight bullet, they are ballistic kissing cousins. Since it's for your wife and your considering Savage, I'd look at their Lady Hunter model as the stock is designed for ladies whom generally have longer necks, narrower shoulders, and bigger boobies :D than men. I know it's not 'synthetic', but IMO most factory synthetics aren't all that great (ie too flexible).

0L2VgAUD6_qOvfrnKji.png

Another one that uses the 'same' action as the Howa is the Weatherby Vanguard. A prominent gunwriter states that the Weatherby monte-carlo style stock often fits women better. As you can see it shares alot in common with the Lady Hunter.

11002-2.jpg

If you don't like the 308 suggestion, either can be had in 270. I'd top either with a Leupold or a Weaver fixed 6X scope and get to shooting and filling tags.

I'd go with the 7mm-08, it hardly kicks...my 12 year old daughter shoots it, and I liked shooting it so much I got myself one. Both Savages...just different models.

My son has a Howa 1500 (7RemMag) blued metal with the Hogue overmold stock, very nice shooting & accurate gun, plus the newer Howa's have an improved trigger over the one my son has. We have several Savages and they have all been very accurate rifles. I would say either rifle is an excellent choice, go have her handle both of them at a gun shop and buy whichever she prefers with confidence.

Bass Pro has the Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker on sale until August 18 in .270 for $599.95. I like my X-Bolt better, but the A-Bolt is a pretty close second. I've killed a bunch of critters with my A-Bolt Hunter in .270.

So many great options out there, but I have a hard time getting away from Remington 700s and Winny M70s. They are generally in abundance and aftermarket products are easily available.

Over on 24hourcampfire there's a stainless mountain rifle in 270 for $625, or $825 sitting in a Ti take-off stock. That's a "cats ass" combo right there if you can make it work.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...t/Number/7976782/gonew/1/Mega_gun_sale#UNREAD

IMO you can't beat the savage you get good value and a great rifle, I have a savage 110 that out shoots my weatherby, go figure! The late Jack O'Connor had some opinions about the .270 I think it's a great big game cartridge. Go for it!

I have the Howa in a .270 and .243 and I love them both, great shooting and the feel is tough to beat. I'm also a big Savage fan too, I have several and they also are lights out. It's going to be a tough choice, lots of great guns out there right now for sure. Good luck and let us know what you decide. RJ

I have a Howa in 7mm-08 and really likt it. It will shoot 1/2" groups at 100yds all day. I think this rifle in .270 would be a serious elk rifle for your wife. Comes with Houge overmoulded stock that is very comfortable. I believe it also comes in a youth model which would maybe help in a good fit for her.

The 270 is a great round and one could argue the overall best for various reasons. I really like this diameter and therefore also am a huge fan of the 7-08. For myself but more so for women. A shorter stock may be in order to fit her right. Savage and wby make great compact synthetic rifles at great prices. The Howa is essentially a wby and are a great buy as well. I've stated for awhile now that savage is building one of the best rifles on the market right now, money kinda aside. So few issues considering their sales.

I have a Howa in 7mag and love it. Its a tack driver after replacing the original trigger with a Timney. Its an older model and had a really bad trigger. The recoil pad is awesome. I have put as many as 150 rounds through it in one day and did not feel sore at all after. The 7mag is probably a little too much gun for her and I would suggest the 7mm-08 as well. I did have a chance to pull the trigger on one not too long ago and it was one sweet shooting rifle

I'm a Remington guy for the most part and haven't owned a Howa or Savage yet. A co-worker purchased a new Savage .308 last week and absolutely loves it!

Let your pocket book be your guide, as all that you mentioned are good guns. I prefer the Savage over the newer Remingtons, but I have not used a Howa or a Tikka. You really can't go wrong with any of those choices.

for the last few years I've had a "lightweight" addiction which eliminated some of the manufacturers until recently - I've 2 Tikka superlight models that I really like a lot but I'm giving that Savage Lightweight Hunter a long hard look (while my wallet finger twitches) It certainly is a "better world" for us folks who love "things that go BANG" .........

Given a choice between the three brands listed, I would opt for the Tikka whatever the caliber. THe quality of the weapon is superior and the accuracy speaks for itself.

Tikka is the sister company to sako and is therefore a great company. I plan on taking one as a backup to my bow for my mnt goat. The t3 is a great choice for light weight but that equals recoil. You better put an aftermarket pad on that, I use the limb saver. Is your wife comfortable with a gun or just kind of dabbles, a t3 in 270 had better be loaded down if she just dabbles. Otherwise it might as well be a bowling ball with your name on it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back