Rifle Suggestion for Wife

montejello

Greetings,

I appreciate everyones willingness to help when I posted on Optics about Binocs. I once again come to you guys seeking advice. Initially my wife and I were going to hunt using my Savage 11 .308 however she says it recoils too much for her. It does have a limbsaver pad but she doesnt like the "bounce". Was shooting 150gr CoreLokts, Federal Powershok and Winchester Powerpoints.

She did try out a 243 (Remington 770) and 270 (Tikka T3 Lite SS) a friend of mine had to get an idea of what she would like. She of course noted the 243 had almost no recoil however what surprised me is she found the 270 a pleasure to shoot even though it "theoretically" should recoil more.

The Tikka is a nice rifle but to buy it I would have to purchase a scope as well and that puts it outside my price range. So far I've had her try a bunch of rifles for feel at Sportsmans Warehouse and so far this is what I have come to.

She likes the Tikka T3, Savage 11/111, and Howa 1500 series. Her only complaint about Howa is it is a bit heavy. She did not like Savage Axis, Remington, Ruger American, or Weatherby feel.

As far as caliber I am not sure what to get her. She will try hunting Hog, Deer, and Elk. Predominantly Arizona as our hunting grounds. What I am thinking is either 243, 7mm08, or 270. My fear is buying a 270 in anything other than Tikka and have her be recoil shy.

What in your folks experience would you go with? My budget is pretty much for package rifles. about 500-600 range for everything. Something accurate and can last her a good portion of her hunting life.

She is 5'07 165lbs so basically my build. I shoot the 308 all day no problem.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Montejello

My guess is her assessment of the 270 was an anomaly and you should go with a 243

Hard to beat the 7mm-08 with a good bullet. That, or a 270 WSM would be my choice. Look at a Howa or Weatherby Vanguard package

I would experiment with some different loads first. You can probably bring the felt recoil down quite a bit, by going to a lighter bullet and lighter load.

As for calibers, one of my favorites is the .25-06., but the .243 is hard to beat too. I have even shot a few deer with some .223 hand loads with acceptable results.

I almost bought my wife a Savage model 11 Lady Hunter, seemed to be a very nice rifle. I don't mean to muddy the waters, but if that was available for her to handle it might fit the ticket in a 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

I see a lot of votes for the 243. Within its limits, say within 200 yards, how is it as an elk gun? I understand she will have to be very selective with her shots.

7mm08 I know has a bit more to it than the 243 but understand it is fine for elk as well. Insurance so to speak in comparison.

I know next to nothing about 6.5 Creedmoor. At the moment I am not reloading. I am just getting into hunting and starting out factory ammo right now. I have a Dillon 550 a friend gave me but it is just sitting collecting dust.

7mm08 will kill everything you want to kill, has mild recoil, and is popular enough that ammo is around.

I see a lot of votes for the 243. Within its limits, say within 200 yards, how is it as an elk gun?
By having the confidence in it and putting the bullet in the right place.

6.5x55 are getting very popular in the UK and might fit the bill.
Take a look at the Browning X-Bolt as well.

Cheers

Richard

Sportsman's Whorehouse will probably have a black friday deal coming up, if it includes Tikka, a .243 T3 and a Burris FFII will be a good package for cheep. Throw the factory rings away and go with the Warnes.

My wife shoots a Browning bolt action in 243 and loves it. The Browning micro Medalion is a great gun.Bought my wife's used with a 4-12 Nikon Monarch scope for $500.

Another vote for the .243. Have you seen the Mossberg Patriot? It's a lightweight rifle and I think it comes as a package deal as well. Fluted bolt & barrel, wood stock. Detachable magazine. under $400.00.

My wife is about the same build and the 270 recoil is to much. She loves the 7mm-08, and I am very confident in the cartridges ability to take elk size game at moderate hunting ranges, and you can get 140 - 160 grain bullets.

Although I love my Tikka, but for someone who is recoil sensitive, I would buy a rifle in the 7 lb. category. My first pick would be a Rem 700, second would be the Weatherby Vanguard, which can be had for about $500 bucks.

A .243 is a marginal elk round, but has worked many times. .270s are some of the hardest-kicking guns that I was ever around. I would vote for the 7-08 stoked with 120-grain premium bullets. It will do it all and with a bit less recoil than a .308.

She has got to be willing to compromise at some point. Nothing is going to be perfect.

Savage 11 Lady Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought this one for my wife and the Lady Hunter in a 243 for my daughter. The morning that we headed out for my daughters antelope hunt I told her to go get her gun and bullets and she came walking out with the Creedmoor. They love how the gun fits them and little recoil. Their second choice is my Remington 700 BDL 25-06.

Don't even consider a 270 WSM if she is recoil sensitive!! I'd be looking at a 7mm-08 if I was in your shoes. I'd also be looking for a used gun so that I could put the best scope on that I possibly could. You won't regret putting extra money into the scope, even if you have to save up for an extra year.

I would do the 6.5 Creed. Flat out shoots, and you can find good factory ammo if you dont reload. Lots of animals falling to the creed nowdays

I hope to put an elk down with my wifes creedmoor in the next couple of weeks

I'd vote for 270. My wife has shot one for many years now and kills elk, deer, antelope etc. very proficiently.

Howa for the win.

If you're going to take advantage of the 7-08's low recoiling characteristics you're going to be slinging the 120's. If somebody can "feel" the difference between a 130gr and 120gr bullet, I'd consider that pretty amazing and I've yet to meet the shooter that can.

I'd also ask yourself if she is really going to hunt elk regularly. People often buy big "just in case" they one day go shoot an elk or a moose or whatever. I buy for what we hunt the most, not the least.

Travis

There is nothing magical about a 6.5 Creedmor, other than the American way of shiny new object/caliber syndrome.

Pick up a package deal on sale and dust off that Dillon. My 12 year old daughter shoots my wife's 30-06 and has for two years. You can do wonders with reduced loads to introduce new shooters, then work up a light to mid-weight hunting load. Most factory loads are loaded on the hotter side of the equation because everyone wants muzzle velocity.

I'd vote whatever you can find within your budget that she likes, and I wouldn't lose sleep over any of them.

Back