Rifle Scope...........

Moosie

Grand poopa
Tell me the best one and Why !!!

I like I'Buglers because it has the distance on it with lines. But jsut wondering what you guys would buy if you had the coins.. Or what you've bought and how you like it !!!

I have been very satisfied with Leupold scopes. The quality of the optics is hard to beat for the money.
Have pretty well settled on the 2.5 x 7 power scopes for my guns that aren't likely to shoot at something over about 250 yards, and the 4x12 power scopes on my longer range hunting rigs.

Longest I've ever shot a big game animal was a touch over 400 yards, so I don't need the mil dots or any of that stuff for hold over. Just carry a laser and know where my rifle hits out to those ranges.

I like the simplicity of a single cross hair. My go to guns are .270 and .300 Weatherby which have similar trajectory. Sight these rigs in for a 250 yard zero, and you don't need to think about much, so long as the critter is under 300 yards or so. Just center up on the vitals and shoot. Sometimes there is not much time for shot evaluation and analysis.

Sometimes there is not much time for shot evaluation and analysis.

I agree, At close ranges sometimes not. But uhhh, at 300-400 yards if there isn't enough time to Drop a range on the animal and get a good rest Then you're just winging a bullet anyways .. ???

Last fall I used 'Buglers gun and liked the different Cross hairs. Dunno if I'll buy one or not but I have some good tags this year and I'd love to change my setup a little...

And Cali... no, I don't mean my bullets ;)

Not sure what "the different crosshairs" are, but I will guess a ballistic plex reticle.

I purchased a Burris ballistic plex last year and didn't like it. I sent it back and got a Leupold B&C 4.5-14. Lots of folks think it is silly for that much magnification, but it works for me and I think you can get a 2.5-8 (3 oz difference) if that floats your boat.

leupold-vx-iii-boone-crockett-biggame-deer.jpg

Don't know if I need the ballistic plex, but it is pretty cool aiming dead on at 500 yards when shooting milk jugs.

Good luck on the hunts this year.

MtMiller... NON of us "NEED" a scope even, Pa used to use a 30.30 open sights ;)

I'm looking at the Leup. VX III 3.5-10x 40mm Matte (B&C) @ About $550.

The 14x runs around $680. Something at 500 yards looks like it's at 50yd's. With a 14x it looks like it's at 36. 14 yards closer... ?? At 300 it's 30 and 22. a difference of 8.

I would think instead of the higher magnification, would it be better to go with the 50mm instead of the 40mm for light gathering ? (Sure I can use a spotlight... but ... ;) )

I think the 40 glass light transmission is more than adequate for my hunting.

Your price quote on the 14x is for the 50mm, if you go with the 40mm it is only $579. The 10X is $549. What do $30 and 1.5 oz mean to you.

I am not seeing the logic in your math, but that's alright. I see it as 40% more magnigfication, but that's just me.

Some folks like the straight 6, others 3-9 and for me 4.5-14. Lots of choices and hell, you have a clean credit card, buy 3 or 4 scopes and decide.

Later, I am out to scout a lope in this 100 degree weather.:D

Nikon 4-12X44 MilDot Reticle. With a little practice, you can compensate for bullet drop and windage out to farther than you should be shooting.

:cool:

Not sure what "the different crosshairs" are, but I will guess a ballistic plex reticle.

I purchased a Burris ballistic plex last year and didn't like it. I sent it back and got a Leupold B&C 4.5-14. Lots of folks think it is silly for that much magnification, but it works for me and I think you can get a 2.5-8 (3 oz difference) if that floats your boat.

leupold-vx-iii-boone-crockett-biggame-deer.jpg

Don't know if I need the ballistic plex, but it is pretty cool aiming dead on at 500 yards when shooting milk jugs.

Good luck on the hunts this year.
I use the 3.5x10x40 and love it. I haven't used all the scopes out there but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be looking for a new one for a while.

I just put a new "Kahles" 3X9X42 with the "TDS" reticle on my mule deer gun.
I've only taken it out shooting once, but so far I'm impressed.
Opticaly, this thing is super clear and bright. It replacedl a Leupold VX III 3.5X10X 40, and the difference is like night and day. The Kahles is so much clearer and sharper it is like having a bigger scope, I didn't need my spotter to see .270 holes at 200 yards. The adjustments worked better, 1/4 MOA ment just that, 3 klicks ment 3/4" at 100 exactly.
I havn't had a chance to play with the TDS system yet, but it looks good.
TDS is similer to Leupolds B&C, it's the same range/drop reticle that Swarovski uses.
Kahles discontunied these, but "Dave Kauffman" still has some in stock, and for under $600, you might want to check them out.

Another euro scope to look at is the Zeiss Conquest. Ziess has their version of a range compensating retical. The Conquest is within a hundred bucks of the Leupold, and like the Kahles it's in a whole nother ball park opticaly.

I recently bought 2 scopes. A Lupy and a Nikon with the bullet drop compensator. I like both of them.

I am not seeing the logic in your math, but that's alright. I see it as 40% more magnigfication, but that's just me.

MtMiller, What does 10x mean ? Doesn't it mean it brings the object 10 times closer ? some soemthnig at 100 yards looks like it's at 10 yards ? That was my math, If it's wrong, thats OK, butthen explain what the "Magnification" on the scope means.

I just bought a Meopta Meostar 4x16x44 for my 25-06. Great glass and It has the mil-dot reticle. Not sure if it's the best but it's one of the best for sure......

Thats a great choice, the local gun shop has one and a Docter optics for sale, man those Europeans scopes are great, I just bought a 2.5 to 10 by 48Hertel and Reuss for my 25.06 waiting for it to arrive from Germany,
Cheers.

I've never liked the scopes with different cross-hairs or dots...too "busy" for my liking.

I do prefer the dot reticles versus standard crosshairs. Its easier and quicker for me to pick up the dot in the scope in low-light, plus I can use the dot for a range-finder if I dont have an actual range-finder with me.

I sight my rifles in for dead zero at 300...which means I dont aim off hair out to 400. The rangefinder stays in the pack for everything from 0-300. Past 300 I range first and typically have time...so no need to be "winging" quick shots at 400 plus.

I prefer nothing bigger than 40mm objectives and nothing over 12x. Most of my rifles have either 2x7's, straight 4x's or 3x9's...with the exception of my varmint rig which has a 4-12x...and has spent 99% of its time on 8x. I prefer leupold over all others for price, clarity, warranty, and ruggedness.

I have burris, redfield, and a few old k4 steel-tube weavers that I've never had a problem with and have been good scopes as well.

I bought a Zeiss 3x9x50 for my new rifle. Only shot it a few times but so far no complaints. I really like how clear it is compared to other scopes I've used.

I just bought the Lepould VXL 6.5 to 20 by 56 then I shipped it off to the custom shop and had them build a bullet drop comp for my 300 win mag they say its good out to 850 yards but I don't feel to good beyond 600 with NO wind I have only put 60 rds down range so far but I have killed a lot of paper plates!! For the winers those type of shot are shot from prone only with a solid rest with only my check and finger touching the trigger

I always sware by the leupolds with the premier reticle dot system up intell premier reticle stopped doing them for leupold. I have 3 - VX III 4.5 - 14 X 40MM scopes and 2- V X III 6.5 - 20 X 50MM on my rifles all with the dot system and have never had fogging issues or any accuraccy issues. Only negative things i have seen with the dot system is your scope has to be cranked up to full power for the dots to work correctly.

For future scopes
Since I can no longer go with the doy system i will stick with Leupold but go with the turrent system

Most all my scopes are 3x9 leupolds, either VX1 or vari x 2's. I have a couple 2x7's on short range big boomers, also have one 4x12 leupy, and a 4x14 Simmmons on my 22. I've had problems using the higher magnification scopes, because I tend to use my x-hairs for range finding. I missed a really nice antelope one fall because I used the 14x scope on 14 and figured he was much closer than he really was. Consequetly I got to watch my bullet strike the dirt infront of him, and then run off. Bought a range finder the next fall. :D

No fancy reticules just standard crosshairs for me. I sight in for dead on at 300 yards +/-, and with most of my rifles at 400 its not more than 12" drop, most are in the 8" range with is holding on the spine and a dead critter at that range. I think the farthest I've ever killed an animal was a little over 400 yards, I'd say 90% of all other critters were inside 300 for the most part. The only problem with sighting in for a 300 yard zero is you really should aim about 3-4" low at 100 yards otherwise you'll shoot em in the spine. Still dead, but tends to ruin a little back strap from time to time. :D

Boy, I guess I am old school. All of my rifles carry fixed 6X Leopolds on a 42mm tube. After a while, you get very accustomed to gauging distances just by how large the object is in the scope. Had variable scopes, but found that I really didn't need the highest powers and the hassle of adjusting them all the time.

Straight powers work for me, but I have always been a little slow to pick up on a good idea.

Back