Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Leupold scopes love or hate em?

I'm not real "into" scopes. Most of my life if my bullet hit where I held the cross hairs, I was OK with it. I don't generally shoot farther than about 350yds.

All that said, the old Leupold VX-1 and the newer VX Freedom (both simple, 3x9 duplex reticles) I've used on light weight back-country hunting rifles are very hard to beat for my purposes.
Haven't you been paying attention? No way that works and you actually kill stuff. mtmuley

Can someone school me on the new Leupold Mark 5 HD vs. VX-6HD for western big game hunting purposes?

I don't guess I get around the interwebs all that much, but I'm sure I've never heard people trashing Leupold. I'd say most who've tried them like - love them. This is really a thing on other sites?

This thread sums up a lot of the talk around the web nicely. Most people who say Leupold works great are the ones who usually never dial, don't shoot past 400, and quite frankly, wouldn't know if their gun didn't return to zero or was off by a little while dialing. If you don't dial, Leupolds usually work great.

My entire life I used Leupold because that is what my dad had always used. I was happy and didn't noticed any problems because shooting longer range and dialing a scope wasn't a thing for me back then. A number of years ago I started shooting much more often and started messing around with shooting farther than I ever had. It wasn't long after that I started to notice all was not well with my Leupolds. The RTZ would be the most common issue I noticed after a session with lots of dialing. Since then I haven't purchased another Leupold and most likely never will until they start earning a reputation for durability with the "dialing" crowd.

With all that said, there is no other scope brand I would love to see return to their former glory than Leupold. I think their MK5 line would rule the market if they would take care of the rtz, and to a lesser degree, the tracking problems. Glass, eye relief, turret feel, weight, and price....the MK5 is arguably one of the best buys in that class of scopes. I wanted to buy one so bad for my latest rifle but I just couldn't risk it. The only thing holding the MK5 back is their durability and repeatability.

This thread sums up a lot of the talk around the web nicely. Most people who say Leupold works great are the ones who usually never dial, don't shoot past 400, and quite frankly, wouldn't know if their gun didn't return to zero or was off by a little while dialing. If you don't dial, Leupolds usually work great.

My entire life I used Leupold because that is what my dad had always used. I was happy and didn't noticed any problems because shooting longer range and dialing a scope wasn't a thing for me back then. A number of years ago I started shooting much more often and started messing around with shooting farther than I ever had. It wasn't long after that I started to notice all was not well with my Leupolds. The RTZ would be the most common issue I noticed after a session with lots of dialing. Since then I haven't purchased another Leupold and most likely never will until they start earning a reputation for durability with the "dialing" crowd.

With all that said, there is no other scope brand I would love to see return to their former glory than Leupold. I think their MK5 line would rule the market if they would take care of the rtz, and to a lesser degree, the tracking problems. Glass, eye relief, turret feel, weight, and price....the MK5 is arguably one of the best buys in that class of scopes. I wanted to buy one so bad for my latest rifle but I just couldn't risk it. The only thing holding the MK5 back is their durability and repeatability.
What do you now use?

I have more Leupold scopes than anything else. They always work like they're supposed to. I put a Vortex HSLR on a gun and it was terrible. It helped me to miss the biggest buck I've ever shot at. I literally gave that to a guy I met on a hunting forum who lived in California. I even paid shipping to get rid of it.

I bought a Swaro Z5 and it is crystal clear, but has been in for warranty work. I don't think it's as sturdy as a Leupold.

Leupold is the best combination of optics, weight, and durability that I've used. I've never shot a NF though.

Can someone school me on the new Leupold Mark 5 HD vs. VX-6HD for western big game hunting purposes?
One is a front focal plane scope with reticles designed around holdovers/wind holds/measuring, with more elevation adjustment range, more tactile turrets, exposed windage turret more aligned with historically tactical or practical competition shooting applications. The other is a more weight conscious second focal plane scope designed like most other hunting scopes have been but with the sales pitch that people who don't understand ballistics can get a free custom turret for it that will do the understanding for them.

One is a front focal plane scope with reticles designed around holdovers/wind holds/measuring, with more elevation adjustment range, more tactile turrets, exposed windage turret more aligned with historically tactical or practical competition shooting applications. The other is a more weight conscious second focal plane scope designed like most other hunting scopes have been but with the sales pitch that people who don't understand ballistics can get a free custom turret for it that will do the understanding for them.
Fantastic. Thank you! Sounds like the preference is MK5?

I own several. I would buy another if I needed one. I am proud to support an American company.

I’ve had a bad experience with Zeiss. I had a cheap bushnell on the first rifle I owned. I’ve got a redfield on my .22 mag Savage. My lever action Browning .22 wears a leupold. As does my Ruger .338…. No dials. No math at the moment of truth. Get closer.
My ownership and affinity go back to when Randy was only an accountant.

My binoculars are swaros. My rangefinder is a Leica.

Was curious to see what folks on hunt talk thought about leupold scopes. Have you used many, were they reliable, have they failed you, if so how, didn't hold zero, didn't track etc.

If you have used them how far are your average shots.

Just curious as if you go to rokslide they are the worst scope you can own and talk about some stupid threads over there.

So, how about we don't turn this one into a bunch of idiots bashing each other over each person's equipment choice. Just simply state your experience and move on.

For me personally I've used a lot of them over the years and have always felt confident in them. Most of my shots hunting are inside of 300 yards. I occasionally stretch it to 400 or a touch over but that's about my max on game.
I've got 5 "hunting" rifles that I rotate through every hunting season (so they all get their exercise). Everyone of them has a Leupold scope...varying from VX3 to VX6 (3 of each I believe.) IMO they are the best scopes out there. I've owned Nightforce, Leica, Swarovski etc. and Leupold is my go to. Just my two cents.

Any opinions on a 44mm vs 50mm VX6HD? Throwing it on a 300 win mag. Previously, I had a 50mm, but a couple friends like the smaller 44mm.

Any opinions on a 44mm vs 50mm VX6HD? Throwing it on a 300 win mag. Previously, I had a 50mm, but a couple friends like the smaller 44mm.
The 2-12x42 VX6 is my favorite. Never messed around with the 44 or 50 mm. My friends have them, and they seem to be too heavy/bulky for me. Just my opinion.

The 2-12x42 VX6 is my favorite. Never messed around with the 44 or 50 mm. My friends have them, and they seem to be too heavy/bulky for me. Just my opinion.
I wish there was a way to compare how much light transmission difference there is at dusk/dawn between those options.

I wish there was a way to compare how much light transmission difference there is at dusk/dawn between those options.
Obviously more with the larger mm bells...it just depends on the country you hunt. Where I hunt it's not a major issue with me. I shot a bull this year with a 3-9x42 Leupold at 455 yards (my furthest shot to date) at first light and could see him fine. I would maybe contact leupold...I bet they have the statistics on that!

There is an 11 page thread on LRH about one guys experience with the vx-6, and that's just one thread.

You seem set on a Leupold but there are more reliable scopes in that price range. If you're set on a Leupold, I honestly hope you get a good one.

"Friends who dial scopes don't let friends buy Leupold scopes"

I've got 5 "hunting" rifles that I rotate through every hunting season (so they all get their exercise). Everyone of them has a Leupold scope...varying from VX3 to VX6 (3 of each I believe.) IMO they are the best scopes out there. I've owned Nightforce, Leica, Swarovski etc. and Leupold is my go to. Just my two cents.
Have you ever tried a Zeiss or a Trijcon or Meopta?

There is an 11 page thread on LRH about one guys experience with the vx-6, and that's just one thread.

You seem set on a Leupold but there are more reliable scopes in that price range. If you're set on a Leupold, I honestly hope you get a good one.

"Friends who dial scopes don't let friends buy Leupold scopes"
Recommendations for dialing? Working on my first set up and was planning to go NF NX8

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back