Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Resizing brass

nidahunter

I have a 7mm08 that I would like to reload for, however I cannot find any brass for it. I can get .243 brass, is it possible (and safe) to resize .243 to 7mm08? Would I just run it through the full size 7mm08 dies? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Use .308 brass and neck it down. Don't know if that can be done in one step or not. Probably can, as it is only .024". Don't know if you have to do anything else or not. Definitey don't use .243, neck is too short.

It can be done but you are stretching the neck a lot and I would expect split necks relatively quickly. If you anneal the split neck problem is reduced. Going from 308 to 7mm-08 would be better as would generally create longer necked brass that can be trimmed.

Good advice above. A good general rule is to neck down,you can get in trouble real fast necking up if you aren't careful.

This reloading component search is ridiculous. I have a few hundred cases of 7mm-08 brass on backorder right now. Hope your resizing works out for you.

I found several bags of 7-08 brass about 4 days ago...bought only one bag as I already have 400 or so.

You are lucky.....I cannot even find .308 in stores or online to neck down. Finally just bought some already loaded ammo so I at least can reuse the brass....

Going from .243 to 7mm-08 you could probably fire-form the cases. Small charge plus cream of wheat over the top - never have done it myself but have read about it. A pretty common procedure. Try posting on accuratereloading.com. I normally buy ammo, then shoot and reload.

You shouldn't have any trouble necking down new or once-fired 308 brass. I get good results using Imperial/Redding sizing die wax to neck down 7mm and 264 mag brass for my 257 Wby. practice loads.

I may be stating the obvious but you may want to avoid using 308 brass for your 7-08 if you also have a 308 rifle.

Good news! Between 2 local stores, a mail order company and a friend in Wyoming I now have everything to start loading for my 7mm08! Never thought it would be this difficult....Thank you BuzzH for the information.

Yep, components are bit harder to come by for the time being. I'm having to switch directions in my plans for working up loads in my 260 Rem as I can't find my 1st choice bullets anywhere.

That said, for anyone that doesn't load their own I suggest that you spend the money on the gear to do so before buying any new guns. It'll make the ones you have much more interesting and fun.

That didn't last long. Midway came through with some 139gn btsp yesterday. Make sure if you get set up for alerts on there...that you get online ASAP when you get. More times then not they have been sold out by the time I get on there.

Very true. The real challenge is powder and primers...4350 which is my go to for 7mm-08

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back