Caribou Gear Tarp

FL Resizing Neck Issue

Once again I’m at a loss, a once fired case from the same rifle should chamber with out resizing. It might take a little more pressure than a fresh factory load but it’s just kind of a snug feeling. Many people neck size only, myself included. Perhaps I missed it, can you chamber a once fired case without resizing?
It will chamber, just very tight bolt closure.

My thoughts are on die setup...not far enough or too much. It seems the trouble with not enough has been resolved. I'm leaning to too much and it move brass at the case head causing chambering issues.

What die setup method are you using?

Last edited:
My thoughts are on die setup...not far enough or too much. It seems the trouble with not enough has been resolved. I'm leaning to too much and it move brass at the case head causing chambering issues.

What die setup method are you using?
I have a single stage Lee press. I have followed the manufacturer’s instructions for setting the die up to the proper distance from the ram. I have experimented by screwing the dies further down and also to less than touching the ram, using both the Lee and RCBS dies I have.

I have a single stage Lee press. I have followed the manufacturer’s instructions for setting the die up to the proper distance from the ram. I have experimented by screwing the dies further down and also to less than touching the ram, using both the Lee and RCBS dies I have.
A visit to the gunsmith is probably likely because it seems like your brass is stretching a lot but before I want to double back to the beginning...

EDIT:
1) if your loads in the new brass how did you arrive at the load you're shooting?
2) If you have new brass still before trimming, what's the length and what's the length of the oncefired brass?

A visit to the gunsmith is probably likely because it seems like your brass is stretching a lot but before I want to double back to the beginning...

EDIT:
1) if your loads in the new brass how did you arrive at the load you're shooting?
2) If you have new brass still before trimming, what's the length and what's the length of the oncefired brass?
1. Tested to find the most accurate. The brass represents three loads I made and one factory load.
2. New brass measures 2.0925, fired brass 2.0935

1. Tested to find the most accurate. The brass represents three loads I made and one factory load.
2. New brass measures 2.0925, fired brass 2.0935
Ok great I was concerned it was one of those "I got it from the max load on the website" kind of cases.

I think you managed to stump a lot of the reloaders here and I definitely don't know enough to make a good call on things so if you have a local shooter's group maybe tracking down one of the would help. I'm hoping it's something simple that I can't think up.

I have found the issue, and as it turns out I AM THE IDIOT.

Trialing the RCBS dies again today I decided to screw the die in further than the manufacturer recommendations. Fixed the problem instantly. Sorry for wasting everyone’s time on this.

Thank you all for your help as well!

Last edited:
I have found the issue, and as it turns out I AM THE IDIOT.

Trialing the RCBS dies again today I decided to screw the die in further than the manufacturer recommendations. Fixed the problem instantly. Sorry for wasting everyone’s time on this.

Thank you all for your help as well!
Glad you got it figured out!
Just curious have you measured how much you’re bumping the shoulder? Sometimes screwing the die in very far causes the shoulder to be pushed a bit.

Glad you got it figured out!
Just curious have you measured how much you’re bumping the shoulder? Sometimes screwing the die in very far causes the shoulder to be pushed a bit.
From what I can measure it’s not bumping it at all. Length to where the shoulder starts and where it narrows to the neck are right at saami length. Also measured against virgin brass and found measurements to be the same

From what I can measure it’s not bumping it at all. Length to where the shoulder starts and where it narrows to the neck are right at saami length. Also measured against virgin brass and found measurements to be the same
What are you using to measure your shoulder? Not that it’s a big deal as long as the brass chambers and lasts a while.

Funny thing, I've actually had this same issue with my 284 win. It was puzzling for sure. I was using Hornady dies so a call to Hornady got this straightened out. I was going to suggest measuring from base to shoulder and screwing the die in a little further, but looks like you figured it out. 👍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back