Remington 700 Build

Still waiting for bottom metal to come in. I think industry is driving us to pay twice as much for off brand removable magazines and such. Fingers crossed.

Awesome watching the process unfold.

How did you get in to building rifles?
Sorry for the delayed answer! My family has a history of building rifles in America back to the early-mid 1700s in Bedford County PA. Seems every now and then someone will pick it up again. I really got into it when I saw what they custom cost so started building my own.

Team,

Wanted to update on where I am at. Stainless bottom metal was in no hurry to come into stock, so to speak, so ordered black and once here finished buttoning up. Will post a picture of the rifle asap but wanted you to see the results of the build. The target below is the first group once I got on paper at 50 yds. This 100 yd group is almost one hole of three rounds. Don't hate me for only three, it was a feels like 105 and humid day and I was good with this group until further testing. This is what custom yields. The group can be measured in different ways but I do outer edge to outer edge and subtract caliber. Doing yielded 0.162" for this group. I think the rifle can do better! Shoot-n-see targets are not the best for group measurement but I think the clover tells the story.
First Group at 100 yds.jpg

Well this is the finished rifle, minus the elevation turret cap. Will replace that once done sighting and set the zero stop. This has been a fun build coming in just under 10lbs. Shoots nice, action is smooth, and the accuracy is phenomenal. Looking forward to an elk hunt with it this fall. Thank you for reading it.

Finished Rifle.jpg

Great write up, thanks for sharing. SKD pack? Handy little buggers.
Thanks! The buttstock pack is a Tactical Sharpshooter. I agree they are handy. I keep a cleaning snake and detachable brush (to push in front of a stick if I may have stumbled and barreled-first in the mud...), marble and valve grinding compound (in case there was a rock in that mud that dinged the crown...), and wrenches specific to scope and action (if that rock led to losing grip and it rolled down the mountainside...). For me it is a tool kit to keep me in the field and have confidence in the rifle's ability to perform safely.

Well the result of all this work was a great Colorado public land 6x6 bull for 2023! Shot through the eye at 315 yds. Confidence in your shooting and your rifle is what custom and practice bring.
I read all your stories back from the truck break in to now. Helluva story, and a sweet looking bull to end it on. Congrats on the bull, and thanks for sharing! I needed a good story like this.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back