Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

REI stance on public lands

rideold

I reached out to the board at REI regarding where they stand on the issues. I was hoping for a better answer but below is what I received. From what I read they are sitting back and letting others do the work by "supporting companies that support the issue". Anyway, thought I'd pass this on for those that may want to push on them a bit. Be a shame if they don't get involved.

"Thank you for reaching out on this topic. You are right that access to public lands is important to REI and our members’ ability to enjoy the outdoors. Public lands have been and will continue to be a main focus area for the co-op.

Our membership base spans the country, encompasses many communities and reaches into the millions so, in full transparency, we don’t fully know what politically or policy-oriented communications our members have an appetite for. We know the gear they like, but not whether they are looking to us for perspectives on hot issues. Closing this knowledge gap—and learning how we can be helpful in the advocacy space—is an aspiration of ours, but it’s a good size undertaking and we’re currently in the early stages of that learning process. We hope to learn fast, but it will take some time.

That being said, we don’t currently have the resources to engage on this topic state by state. Rather, our approach is to establish strong relationships with nonprofits throughout the country that are very active in their advocacy on this set of issues. If you check out www.protectourpublicland.org, you’ll see the organizations driving the conversation. We support many of these, including Outdoor Alliance, IMBA, The Mountaineers, OIA, OIWC, etc.

Again, I appreciate you raising this issue as it’s important for us to hear what’s top of mind for our members. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Take care,
Amy Leo
Staff to REI Board of Directors"​

I am a bit surprised, but I guess not that much. REI is about $ more than anything else. They're no pataguchi.

I reached out to the board at REI regarding where they stand on the issues. I was hoping for a better answer but below is what I received. From what I read they are sitting back and letting others do the work by "supporting companies that support the issue". Anyway, thought I'd pass this on for those that may want to push on them a bit. Be a shame if they don't get involved.

That being said, we don’t currently have the resources to engage on this topic state by state. Rather, our approach is to establish strong relationships with nonprofits throughout the country that are very active in their advocacy on this set of issues. If you check out www.protectourpublicland.org, you’ll see the organizations driving the conversation. We support many of these, including Outdoor Alliance, IMBA, The Mountaineers, OIA, OIWC, etc.

Seems reasonable:

1.) We really don't want corporations lobbying politicians. Citizens United was a horrible decision.

2.) They don't have the resources to go State by State, and, it is likely more effective not lobbying State by State.

3.) They want to support the organizations that will do the heavy lifting. As they should. And you should.

Not seeing much reason for faux outrage.

Funny. Current Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell was their CEO. She's been a steadfast opponent to this.

Not much different than Leupold or some other company directing their efforts through groups such as BHA and RMEF. I like the Sitka approach where they donate directly, but if REI is directly supporting groups that support public lands then I'm okay with that.

I think with the current, or I should say, soon-to-be-current administration, pro-public land support will need to come from the businesses directly, since business is all that they'll care about.

I think with the current, or I should say, soon-to-be-current administration, pro-public land support will need to come from the businesses directly, since business is all that they'll care about.

I think the soon to be administration will not give a $#!t about public lands unless they can make a buck for themselves off of it's sale.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back