Reasonable Expectation ?

If this is a once in a lifetime trip, I think that any of those would be safe. If this is a trip you will be repeating on a annual basis, I would shoot any of those bucks. Sets the bar for the future and some tender steaks.
Antelope bucks are tough to judge, you will see that 70% of the bucks are in the same 12 inch horn category. I would look for a goat that is most eye appealing to you. Some like heart shape, some wide flare, hay hooks, mass ect. Either way it will be a great trip. Im jealous

On my first antelope hunt I just wanted to shot a buck of any kind. On my second hunt I had a very nice one come down the hill towards me on his own and shot him at about 80 yards. On my third hunt we looked over probably 20 bucks over a week before I pulled the trigger on a good one. This one which was my last one probably wouldn't score well because it's thin horned but I liked how tall it was.
I would say look at as many pics as you can to see what you like and don't base your choice on what a buck might score.
Good luck on your hunt.

Attachments

• DSCN1149.jpg
    DSCN1149.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 402
You will find way better bucks then those if you hunt hard enough.My first muley trip to Montana I passed about 6 of those till found one a little better.That trip was a year or two after the big die off from the winter.I personally will eat my tag before one of those on the tag I have this season.But, like was said, its what makes you happy.Hunt a few days before deciding on what to take.Or, better yet, get there early and look a bunch over before the shooting starts
Antelope is the same;look a bunch over and pick out a few to try and hunt for.Sometimes the antelope have so many people hunting that you may have not be able to be too picky.Then again, my biggest antelope came the 2nd week of season after all the other hunters went home.So if you have the time,the hunters thin out and then the hunting can get great

I'm Probably Shooting

Thanks Guys, very much appreciated.

Note to Opslt79. Would you consider these shooters? I really have no clue, simply researching In-field experience. Whitetails are free game on this tag, and I will tag one if it gets late, but I already have about 40 under my belt, a Mulie is the goal.

Looking at the bucks in the photo and knowing what I've seen in region B over the years, I'd be hard pressed to pass on these. I know there are bigger deer out there and I've taken some bigger than these, but in this area those heavy, chocolate-horned monsters are tough to come by.

I drive 1400 miles from my home in whitetail-rich Ohio to hunt the Newcastle area so my focus is always on mulies as well (along with antelope). If you can get out a few days early, scout in the mornings, and talk to Joe Sandrini, the local WG&F biologist, you should get a good idea of what the herd is like this year.

Looking at the bucks in the photo and knowing what I've seen in region B over the years, I'd be hard pressed to pass on these. I know there are bigger deer out there and I've taken some bigger than these, but in this area those heavy, chocolate-horned monsters are tough to come by.

I drive 1400 miles from my home in whitetail-rich Ohio to hunt the Newcastle area so my focus is always on mulies as well (along with antelope). If you can get out a few days early, scout in the mornings, and talk to Joe Sandrini, the local WG&F biologist, you should get a good idea of what the herd is like this year.

I agree. That's typically what you'll run across out there. I've seen a few slightly better on private land, and a few dead ones at the processor that were bigger, but never anything that is generally thought of as a big mulie.

Sorry for posting a 'Thanks' for the updated info a little sooner, but I just put in 13 straight days of swing shift . Numb.

For a Lope, I've always liked the classic heart shape horns, wide is nice too. Narrow spread and tall just doesn't float my boat. I guess it falls back to over 50 yrs ago and seeing a ronghorn, for my 1st time reading, an Outdoor Life Mag story, at my uncles.

For a Mulie, I would not go home unhappy with either the far right, or left one, in my above posted photo.

What does a 70-ish Pronghorn look like? Somebody(s) post a pic and help us nimrods see what ya'll are referring to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back