PEAX Equipment

Reaching the end?

Bigjay73

Seems that every year my anticipation for hunting season lessens a bit, but this year, I honestly feel nothing for the upcoming draws or hunts that I've already drawn. Usually once tags are received in the mail, my thoughts and excitement are focused on the upcoming possibilities of fall, and days are spent dreaming of mountain air and the pursuit of game, but now, I couldn't care less if I step foot in the wilderness in pursuit of elk or deer. I go hiking several times a month, love every chance I get to fish, but I'm afraid I've lost my drive to hunt. Anyone else feeling this way? How can something that was once my one true passion for decades not instill an ounce of excitement into my mind?

It’s temporary 😂 I have been there when I guess I over did it. I can hunt almost year round where I live if you hunt everything all seasons in Idaho. I usually just mix it up and lion hunt with the dogs more one year or next year more time bow hunting elk and deer etc etc. I have definitely felt a lack of excitement for doing the same old hunts for the same species. My experience is it goes away pretty quickly. Try mixing up the species or the method. Or you could just be done and fish a bunch!

@Bigjay73
May I suggest considering mentoring someone who needs some help from a seasoned outdoorsman such as yourself. Perhaps their enthusiasm will rub off on you as you help guide their budding interests.
I have way more fun helping other people fill tags or catch fish than I do for myself any more. Whether they are experienced or not, I find I think a lot more clearly about the situation and give better advice to other people when the tag is theirs, than my own internal monologue to myself When I have the tag in my own pocket.

@Bigjay73
May I suggest considering mentoring someone who needs some help from a seasoned outdoorsman such as yourself. Perhaps their enthusiasm will rub off on you as you help guide their budding interests.
Actually, that is one thing that still piques my interest, never thought of it as a way to motivate myself

I have way more fun helping other people fill tags or catch fish than I do for myself any more. Whether they are experienced or not, I find I think a lot more clearly about the situation and give better advice to other people when the tag is theirs, than my own internal monologue to myself When I have the tag in my own pocket.
I hope I never get tired of helping others. I think hunting for myself has just become work in my mind, we all know how much sweat goes into filling a cooler full of meat.

I was lucky to grow up in a family that bridged the gap between the hook-and-bullet and REI crowds. All of my hobbies over the years have been some sort of variation of seeing what is over the next ridge or trying to better understand our wildlife.

When I was younger, killing was important. Now, a cow for the freezer and spending more time on other pursuits seems more important.

Hunting isn’t everything. There are more important things in life. Nothing wrong with having your passion change over time.

Personally, I am more rabid than I’ve ever been. I have about 50 tags and units in my mind that I want to draw/buy, and not enough years in my lifetime to do it all. I dream about it at night, daydream about it at work, and plan and replan my hunts, pore over maps, etc. all the time.

It happens. While I still like to hunt my desire to kill something has substantially diminished. I think it is part of the stages of a hunter.
This is along my thoughts.

I enjoy hunting though mostly I enjoy the camaraderie around camp. Young ones rising the ranks is our joy of the hunt.

I've let several critters pass that early years I would've found a means to kick my own arse for letting by.

My deal the past five years has been and still going: Kicking my arse pushing limits and loving every minute (bs but sounds good right now). 5th time sled into the Bob. Passed on deer and (or) elk a couple of those years. I watched through the scope or binos and simply... watched. Little desire to work my way or send it. Wasn't interested in killing it. I think it's the thrill of feeling the Wilderness in its raw form.

This year with my new Lyman muzzleloader during rut hunt w/ my dog for 9 days. Yep, sled again... getting to know the areas. I'm pretty excited for this change of firearm.

I believe it's digging for unique experiences. Iron sytes, black powder and lead .54. This has me back in the game.

I take my dog for hikes around my house... he's fully tuned to my actions. We've stealth walked, crawled toward deer I made sure he's seen. Think we're good to go this year. Wife requires if I go solo the dog goes with especially after my griz incident last year.

This has me rejuvenated to hunt.

This is along my thoughts.

I enjoy hunting though mostly I enjoy the camaraderie around camp. Young ones rising the ranks is our joy of the hunt.

I've let several critters pass that early years I would've found a means to kick my own arse for letting by.

My deal the past five years has been and still going: Kicking my arse pushing limits and loving every minute (bs but sounds good right now). 5th time sled into the Bob. Passed on deer and (or) elk a couple of those years. I watched through the scope or binos and simply... watched. Little desire to work my way or send it. Wasn't interested in killing it. I think it's the thrill of feeling the Wilderness in its raw form.

This year with my new Lyman muzzleloader during rut hunt w/ my dog for 9 days. Yep, sled again... getting to know the areas. I'm pretty excited for this change of firearm.

I believe it's digging for unique experiences. Iron sytes, black powder and lead .54. This has me back in the game.

I take my dog for hikes around my house... he's fully tuned to my actions. We've stealth walked, crawled toward deer I made sure he's seen. Think we're good to go this year. Wife requires if I go solo the dog goes with especially after my griz incident last year.

This has me rejuvenated to hunt.
Sounds like you are in the Method stage.

Sounds alot like me when I still lived in NH, hunting came and my energy for it lessened.

Moved to WY and it's burning strong again, all new land, animals, success rates and my wife is just as excited as I. My favorite memory from last year, sitting against a tree watching her maneuver for a shot at her first elk, then tracking, and packing it with her.

After the seasons end in January, I get the colly-wobbles too. Nothing to do but prep the garden and anticipate turkey season.
After that, it's the doldrums of summer.
Summer used to be fun. Now it's just hot, bug filled, yard mowing, weed pulling, poisoning discomfort!

Get a new hunting partner. One with 4 legs and preferrably a beard. Train them and help them do what makes them happiest. There's no draws/applications to worry about with small/upland game. Likely won't feel too much pressure if you come home empty handed as taking your new partner out to do what they love to do is so much fun.

Other than that, I say new species to hunt and or old species in completely new type of country.

Short of that, just chase your wife/lady friend until you catch them often enough that'll be glad to go hunting again. ;)

Get a new hunting partner. One with 4 legs and preferrably a beard. Train them and help them do what makes them happiest. There's no draws/applications to worry about with small/upland game. Likely won't feel too much pressure if you come home empty handed as taking your new partner out to do what they love to do is so much fun.

Other than that, I say new species to hunt and or old species in completely new type of country.

Short of that, just chase your wife/lady friend until you catch them often enough that'll be glad to go hunting again. ;)
I lost mine 3 years ago, and yeah hunting hasn't been the same since. I'm not in a position for a pup yet, but will get one some day. I definitely still look forward to bird hunting with dogs and friends

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back