Rattlesnakes while hunting

The only venomous snakes I have seen in the North GA mountains are Copperheads and Timber Rattlesnakes. The buck berry and blue berry bushes are so thick here that it’s almost impossible to watch where You step so the turtleskins gaiters go on every time.
View attachment 151604
My oh my, that is a beauty Timber. I'm with you 'bout the gaiters, I cant hear em any more.

I almost stepped on one in WY a few weeks ago. He did me a favor and rattled before I put my foot down.
Two years prior in WY, I came face to face with one on a rock ledge. Lucky he didn't nail me right in the kisser. Both were at 6000'.View attachment 151261
I saw my second one this year at 7900 ft. And yeah you got lucky. Sometimes those things like to wait till you step on them to rattle. Find out how high you can jump😬

This guy was in a buddies tent on a recent backpacking trip into the Gila of NM. He's a herpetologist so he remained calm enough to get the photo and relocate the snake.

Zip your tent doors people...View attachment 151838

Well, that's not what a guy who owns a floorless shelter wants to see...

Well, that's not what a guy who owns a floorless shelter wants to see...

When I showed that photo to a big fan of floorless setups he responded that the good thing about floorless is that," they [snakes] can come in and just leave. They don't get stuck."

That is actually a valid argument, in my opinion. In my wife's opinion, it is NOT.

A lifetime ago, when I was a young and foolish seventeen years old, I signed up for a youth conservation program and worked at a state park in central Washington. We would catch rattlesnakes in our free time. We skinned the snakes, keeping the skins and rattlers, and park ranger's wife would cook them for us. All these many years later I cannot now even imagine doing such a thing. I have a healthy respect (fear?) for rattlers and do my level best to avoid them.

My son and I are planning a hunt in Wyoming this year and I keep seeing warnings about rattlesnake. Should we buy snake proof gaiters?

My son and I are planning a hunt in Wyoming this year and I keep seeing warnings about rattlesnake. Should we buy snake proof gaiters?
No. Not necessary. Just be aware and alert that they are around. If you are walking through tall grass, tall boots is all you need. Most of the time they will try to avoid you. If you are walking with walking sticks you can prod areas they like to hide before you step such as next to rocks and old logs.

Last edited:
Another thing about rattle snakes is they rarely bite and prefer not too. The only exceptions is the midget faded rattle snake that lives in the high country which gets rather aggressive when agitated. They are very hard to see with their camo and will strike multiple times when agitated. Rattlesnakes need their venom to survive and hunt prey. Most rattlesnake bites do not get full dose venom that a rat the snake wants to eat might. Most rattlesnakes move when they detect you in the area. It takes rattlesnakes sometimes weeks to restore their venom once they inject it so most will be reluctant to bite at all.

I've never seen one while hunting, but I've seen quite a few while not hunting. Several years ago, I was in Southern Illinois walking along the trail in Little Grand Canyon when a couple approached me and asked if I had seen any snakes. I told them no, I hadn't and started back up the trail. Less than a hundred yards later, I came upon a four foot rattlesnake quietly crossing the trail. I watched him for a little while as he disappeared into the brush.

What time of year and where are you hunting. Later in the year the smaller the chance

I encountered this fella on my out of state mule deer hunt. I was going to leave him alone, but because I planned to come back through the same draw later that day I decided that it would be safer if I reduced the dangerous snake population by one, and had a snack to boot. Unwilling to spend a bullet on him, I attempted to kill him with a rock. After a little excitement the snake vacated the area alive and well. I was then EXTRA careful on my way back through later.

I think I need to invest in some snake proof gators if such a thing exists.

Attachments

• 72BBE04D-E4EA-47EC-8E81-9A8EF4E3205C.jpeg
    72BBE04D-E4EA-47EC-8E81-9A8EF4E3205C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Screw the gaiters, snake shot for a sidearm is cheaper and lighter and more comfortable. You wont even notice 2 or 3 cartridges in a pocket

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back