Yeti GOBOX Collection

Rattlesnakes while hunting

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I get a lot of questions across our many platforms. Lately, I have gotten a lot of questions about rattlesnakes. Not sure if there is some recent news event that includes a hunter and a rattlesnake or just coincidence that I would get that many questions in the last month.

I follow a principle of snake Karma. I let them go, undisturbed, and hope they'll do the same when I might not be paying food attention. Given Marcus wants to eat everything we encounter, I almost have to hide any snake discoveries from him.

Anyhow, post up your live rattlesnake pics taken while out hunting. A bit of a story will help. I'll start.

Nevada 2013. Archery mule deer. This dude almost let me step on him. He was a chunker.

IMG_1473.JPG

Not the best picture but I stepped inches from this guy and his buddy. Both rattled at me but kindly chose not to bite. Black-tailed Rattlesnake at close to 8,000’ in the Gila. I’m with Big Fin, I quit killing snakes of all types in the name of karma.

Attachments

• 13FE3BB6-5297-4C42-B575-0C73743960FB.jpeg
    13FE3BB6-5297-4C42-B575-0C73743960FB.jpeg
    950.2 KB · Views: 54
No pics, no stories. I just let them go on their way and I go mine.

I know a couple of guys who will not hunt spring turkey because of snakes. I had one guy go with on a spring turkey hunt and after about 300 yards of hiking before daylight in knee high grass or chest high palmetto he retreated back to the truck.

You guys are making this stuff up. Of all my trips out west I've NEVER seen a snake! We even went looking for them while in Idaho one trip. NOTHING! Fake news, I say.

Three years and about three miles further north of the snake in Post #10, this guy decides he is going to keep me and Bernie from getting into the truck. Bernie hated snakes; a bad situation for a guy with mobility impairments. Bernie lectured me on the folly of my snake Karma.

DSCN1075.JPG

I had a guy just today ask me if I ever run across rattlesnakes while turkey hunting Western oklahoma. I told him about the time a couple years ago in NM while I was hunting scaled quial. I heard a strange noise down by my feet. Dumb me thought the sound was a locust. I looked down and a Prairie rattler was approx. 18 inches from my boots and was in the position of pic #2. Coiled and ready, I was in striking distance and didn't know it. I jumped to get out of the way, thankfully he didn't strike. Right or wrong I usually give them a 12 guage dirt nap.

I’m scared S***less of snakes but I leave them alone and understand their place in the world too. 10 years ago I had a different philosophy. Part of growing up I guess.

Back