Yeti GOBOX Collection

Rattlesnakes while hunting

My first experience made me pucker quite a bit. We were hunting SD and working along a flat top and there was a small dog town a few hundred yards away. Super windy (you’d never expect that in SD :rolleyes:) and that little sucker let us get to about 2 feet before coiling and rattling and reading us the riot act. Of course we must have looked like parkour champions jumping back and bouncing off the rocks and trees. He was an ornery little shaver- after gathering our wits we tried walking around him and he got closer to us. He received some rocks after that and struck a few of them.
I probably wasn’t a very effective hunter the rest of that day. I jumped and shrieked at every rustling leaf and clump of grass I came across.

I probably wasn’t a very effective hunter the rest of that day. I jumped and shrieked at every rustling leaf and clump of grass I came across.

Oh, i know that game! Almost step on a rattler, then for several days every bit of dry grass i brush with my leg that makes a remotely snakey noise has me convinced i could win the gold medal in the high jump.

While we are on the subject of rattlers, im heading to unit 1 idaho on tuesday. Has anybody ever seen rattlers there? Do they exist there? Ive never seen one east of sr395 in washington, so im thinking no?

No close encounters hunting but many with water moccasins fishing in Louisiana swamps and cypress lakes. See them in a tree always once the boat is too close and you're worried about him dropping in the boat.

Bill Dance encounters a snake

I don't have any pictures of the venomous snakes I ran across while living in Florida, but I do have a picture of two six foot or so yellow rat snakes making more snakes.

We always tried to leave them to themselves but I killed one moccasin when it was incessant on a confrontation in the yard after following us out of the woods.31988_585135631738_4631112_n.jpg

20200524_173822.jpg
A Mojave Green while out in the Sonoran Desert. See so many, don't often stop for photos. Mostly Sidewinders in this stretch of the desert.

A Mojave Green while out in the Sonoran Desert. See so many, don't often stop for photos. Mostly Sidewinders in this stretch of the desert.
My sister and bro-in-law live just outside Tombstone and they get a couple of Mojave Greens every summer in their yard in addition to the other rattlers they find every year. No thanks. :eek:

My family hunted them when I was a kid for their skins and rattles, I still have a handful.
Never cared for it much, scared the jeebus outta me.
Somewhere I have a pic of my late uncle holding a big live one around his neck with a big shit eating grin on his face, he was a wildman.

My family hunted them when I was a kid for their skins and rattles, I still have a handful.
Never cared for it much, scared the jeebus outta me.
Somewhere I have a pic of my late uncle holding a big live one around his neck with a big shit eating grin on his face, he was a wildman.
Some of us have no common sense... 💥 20200522_101215 (2).jpg

If I see a rattle snake and don’t kill it, my 5 year old gets upset. No because he’s afraid of them, but because he likes to eat them. They are pretty tasty grilled!

On the coldest morning in April it was about 55 degrees. I wasn’t even thinking about snakes. As we were driving in the middle of no where to go for a hike there was about 40 vultures circling. The area we were in is heavily used by illegal aliens, so I thought it could be a body, and if not that, maybe a big dead head buck. 20 steps out of the Jeep, I stepped on this guy.
0CD87407-F25B-4160-9A56-DDD421BC3EB7.jpeg
I got back in the Jeep and never figured out what the vultures were for. Oh well. Whatever it is was already dead.

Later that day we saw this guy.
912F264B-3C17-4CA3-8C38-C6BEAAC634EC.jpeg

Just needed a tortoise to make a reptilian trifecta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back