Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

R-P vs Federal Brass

Gunner46

My R-P brass has reached it's useful life. I'm starting to get some split necks either after being shot, or during resizing. I can't complain, I've gotten 5-6 loads out of each, with full size dies.

Question is, does R-P, or Federal brass have more case capacity? I'll probably need to adjust my reloads because of changing brass, but which direction ?

For that matter, will I need to do a new complete work up & ladder tests with my assortments of powders?

Are you annealing? After a few firings brass gets brittle and wants to split. Annealing puts the elasticity back into the brass.

But to answer your question, you should re-work loads anytime you change a component. Probably won't have to ladder though, unless your max load is way different.

I'm down in numbers to where I really need to restock anyway. Some of that brass has been pushed pretty hard. If I were only out on the range and a case failed, no biggie. Out in the field, I want reliability. Time to let those Vets retire.....

In general, the easiest way to tell the difference in case capacity is to weigh the cases. The heavier the case, the thicker the walls, and less internal capacity when sized to the same outside dimensions.

Specifically to your question about R-P versus Federal-- I have found that R-P brass has more capacity than Federal.

I've heard Federal brass is not the best. My preference is Winchester brass if I want the cheap stuff. If you don't mind spending a little more money, Nosler brass is really nice.

I just bought some
Hornady Brass as that is all I could find. It appears vry good. No dents or deformity right out of the box.

Nah, Guys. The Fed brass is on hand, with more on the way. I jumped Hard on Mass Ammo's closeout sale. $75 for 100 rnds of loaded 140 TSX. Not going to pass that one up !

Fed is what I got, and Fed is what I'm going to be working with, end of that story.

I'm just looking for how to adjust my current load, with R-P, to not go over pressure with the change to Fed.

I ditched all of my Federal brass and use nothing but Hornady Match in my .308. I have a free supply, though, so that helps make the choice. I like it a lot better than the Fereral, though. I think Federal is OK, as long as your loads are built around that brass and you don't have different kinds of brass mixed.

Nah, Guys. The Fed brass is on hand, with more on the way. I jumped Hard on Mass Ammo's closeout sale. $75 for 100 rnds of loaded 140 TSX. Not going to pass that one up !

Fed is what I got, and Fed is what I'm going to be working with, end of that story.

I'm just looking for how to adjust my current load, with R-P, to not go over pressure with the change to Fed.

When I switched to Nosler from Rem I didnt change a thing. Loaded and went to the range, then went hunting. If you're concerned, reduce the load and work back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back