Quick Hitter MR Beartooth 80 Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

I've had mine all of two days. Done two hikes with it, 40# of rock salt down and back up a 1200 foot hill, averaging approximately 80% slope.

Pros:

New frame is a HUGE improvement over the NICE frame.
Waist belt is much improved, fits and holds better.
Lighter fabric.
Carries 40 pounds VERY well.
You pull forward to tighten the waist belt.

Cons:

Holy shit this thing has a lot of pockets. Going to take some getting used to.
No stuff opening from the top, duffel only zipper. Going to take some getting used to.
The front of the waist belt is narrower than I'm used to. Going to take some getting used to.

Summary:

After using a Metcalf for five years, this one is really different. I wouldn't say the cons are bad, but there will certainly be an adaptation period. I think for load hauling, this is going to be an excellent pack. I'll put about 40 more pounds in here in a few days and take it for a spin.

This is my first real pack besides a badlands Ive owned for a few years so take my comments with a grain of salt. Feels good on the back with 40lbs in it as well, you feel it in your legs way before anything else. Only complaint I have is all the buckles and straps seem overwhelming .

This is my first real pack besides a badlands Ive owned for a few years so take my comments with a grain of salt. Feels good on the back with 40lbs in it as well, you feel it in your legs way before anything else. Only complaint I have is all the buckles and straps seem overwhelming .
I second all the spaghetti

I've taken mine on a couple backpacking trips now, along with 5-6 hikes up and down and up and down a hill behind my house. Love the way the fit is adjustable, definitely makes the weight lighter than other packs I've used. I definitely agree re: number of straps being excessive. Sometimes it takes me a second to even figure out which buckle mates with which because there's so many. I assume the goal was to put a lot of straps so the bag would pack down really small if you were just doing a day hike or something, but I feel like they could have easily cut at least a few out.

I have used one off and on since my Dall Sheep hunt last year, the maiden trip for my Beartooth 80. I've come to love it as my favorite multi-day pack.

When filled to the gills for long-trips, the straps that might seem a bit too numerous now, are a great benefit. When that pack is filled to its full volume, even beyond that volume, with assorted items attached outside the bag, those straps serve great purpose in securing the bulk and weight that is present with multi-day trips. Add a sheep to your load, most of which rides in the load shelf and on the top of your pack, and the straps are far more complimented than cursed. Large bulky loads are far more tolerable when strapped and secured to the nth degree, compared to wobbling and shifting as you move across the uneven terrain.

It is not designed as a day pack and does not have the utility of the Metcalf. It is my pack of choice when going on longer excursions and will get some heavy use in BC this fall.

I have used one off and on since my Dall Sheep hunt last year, the maiden trip for my Beartooth 80. I've come to love it as my favorite multi-day pack.

When filled to the gills for long-trips, the straps that might seem a bit too numerous now, are a great benefit. When that pack is filled to its full volume, even beyond that volume, with assorted items attached outside the bag, those straps serve great purpose in securing the bulk and weight that is present with multi-day trips. Add a sheep to your load, most of which rides in the load shelf and on the top of your pack, and the straps are far more complimented than cursed. Large bulky loads are far more tolerable when strapped and secured to the nth degree, compared to wobbling and shifting as you move across the uneven terrain.

It is not designed as a day pack and does not have the utility of the Metcalf. It is my pack of choice when going on longer excursions and will get some heavy use in BC this fall.
Randy - Do you know with the new Guide Lite MT frame we will have bag options to change out the frame on ? IE - put a mule bag on the Bear Tooth 8- frame. Figured you might have some inside info.

Randy - Do you know with the new Guide Lite MT frame we will have bag options to change out the frame on ? IE - put a mule bag on the Bear Tooth 8- frame. Figured you might have some inside info.

From a conversation with folks at MR, they plan to transition all packs to the Guide Light MT frame in the future. My understanding (you'll want to confirm this) is they will sell bag only options, but do not plan to offer the Guide Light MT frame as a stand alone purchase.

Little bit heavy for me

It is a little bit, but I really can't say enough good about the new frame thus far. I'm going to load it up with 70 pounds tomorrow and slog it down and up my training hill. Further review to come.....

It is a little bit, but I really can't say enough good about the new frame thus far. I'm going to load it up with 70 pounds tomorrow and slog it down and up my training hill. Further review to come.....
What about the frame other then the belt configuration do you like about the new frame verse the guide Lite frame?

What about the frame other then the belt configuration do you like about the new frame verse the guide Lite frame?

I had the NICE frame prior to this, so I can't speak to the Guide Light. It's a little more streamlined, I like the factory load lifter design better than the OV setup I had on my Metcalf, and it seems to conform to my back better.

I had the NICE frame prior to this, so I can't speak to the Guide Light. It's a little more streamlined, I like the factory load lifter design better than the OV setup I had on my Metcalf, and it seems to conform to my back better.
I agree, big upgrade from my old nice frames as well. I am not so much seeing it compared to my guide Lite frame though.

After going back and forth between the Metcalf and the beartooth 80, i decided on the beartooth. I live on the east coast but have traveled out west to hunt elk the last 3 years. Being that I have to fly with everything I need on my back this pack fit the bill. I got it a week ago and have put several miles on it with weights from 40lbs to 80lbs. For me there is no pinching, sliding or discomfort anywhere even with 80lbs in it.

I have a Sawtooth 45, but, may apply to the Beartooth also
When I tried to incorporate my Daylid to the Sawtooth (since it doesn't have one) I discovered the SJ Autolock Buckles have a narrower gap to thread the straps thru

Each picture have a comment underneath (scroll sideways)...just some observations I noticed with previous generation SJ Autolock Buckles.

coming from the previous Guidelight frame and one piece belt, the 5-piece belt for GL MT is a step up in comfort and fit.
I gather much experience when taking the Sawtooth 45 out for a quick exercise on my break. I just go up and down at our work parking lot, 4 stories. Sometimes taking the fire escape stairs for extra burned calories.
Soon will add extra weight to this pack...I read a lot of suggestion with using Morton Water Softener pellets in 40lbs bags.

just my 2 cent observations

I still see the Metcalf as the Jack of All Trades pack. I had one and sold it last year just because 90% of the time it was too big. I grabbed the Sawtooth this year and so far really like the frame over the original guidelight frame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back