PEAX Equipment

Questions arise from Scalia-Cheney hunt

JoseCuervo

It appears that Cheney can't even go hunting without having his Oil tycoon buddies taking care of him. Has there ever been an Adminstration so totally indebted to a single indusrty???? :rolleyes:

Questions arise from Scalia-Cheney hunt

By Adam Nossiter
Associated Press — Feb. 6, 2004

MORGAN CITY, La. — For many hunters, duck season in the swamps of Louisiana means an outing with a pickup and a six-pack. For Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and Vice President Dick Cheney, it was a little different.

The two men arrived near this coastal town in a U.S. government jet, then were whisked away in a motorcade with police lights flashing to the elaborate floating hunting camp of a multimillionaire oil-services tycoon, a longtime friend of Scalia's.

A panoply of Secret Service and local law enforcement guarded the hunting party, and though the shooting was poor, the "strictly social" occasion, as participant Louis Prejean described it, was enjoyable.

But last month's trip has raised growing questions about the propriety of a Supreme Court justice going on a hunt with Cheney at the same time Scalia was hearing a case involving the vice president.

Congressional Democrats and newspaper editorials have called for Scalia to step down from the case, which has to do with whether Cheney must reveal who serves on his energy task force. Further complicating the question: The host of the hunting trip is a prominent member of the energy industry.

Scalia has declined to recuse himself, saying he remains impartial. He likened the hunting trip to a White House dinner.

Kevin Kellems, Cheney's press secretary, said Scalia's objectivity is "really a question that the Supreme Court officials are in better position to answer. This is really, at its core, a question about how the court operates, what their rules are and so forth."

Stephen Gillers, a law professor at New York University, said it would be "an easy call" for Scalia to disqualify himself because Cheney apparently paid at least some of the justice's expenses.

"He has to set an example of what conduct is acceptable. Taking a gift from a litigant in a case before you and taking a trip with that litigant in a small group" is not acceptable, Gillers said.

Several people in the party, including host Wallace Carline and Prejean, declined to discuss the trip into the duck-filled marshland at the edge of the Gulf of Mexico. But this was no ordinary hunting trip.

After landing Jan. 5, the party hurried out of a small blue-and-white jet marked "United States of America" and ducked straight into vehicles that had been flown down separately. With flashing lights that illuminated the rainy afternoon, the caravan made its way south to Carline's camp in the marshes.

There, Scalia and Cheney joined a group of about nine, the justice has said. Among them were relatives of Carline's son-in-law, Mike Swiber, who works for Carline's Diamond Services Corp., which provides barges, tugs, and dredging equipment. "I have no comments, no comments at all," Swiber said. "It's over."

Carline's place on the marsh is more a boat than a camp. A Carline competitor and friend, Doyle Berry, described it as a barge about 150 feet by 50 feet that anchors wherever the hunting is best. On top is a house-like structure.

"It's a big camp, lovely camp," said another friend, local Republican lawyer Al Lippman.

Carline, a member of the local port authority, created his fortune from scratch more than four decades ago, friends said.

"He's a very private-type individual," Lippman said. He is also, apparently, a registered Democrat: The only Wallace Carline in the parish is so listed, according to a local voting official.

Scalia, an avid hunter, is a frequent visitor to Louisiana. His hunting companion is often Prejean, a state worker for the disabled and the brother of Sister Helen Prejean, the anti-death penalty activist and author of "Dead Man Walking." In an interview, she has described confronting Scalia about his pro-death penalty views.

The vice president left after two days, while Scalia stayed two more days.

Berry, echoing others here, said locals were just "honored the vice president came down and hunted." But legal analysts elsewhere said it is not that simple.

"The fact is that the vice president is not a nominal party to this litigation. He has a strong personal and political interest in the result. That's the long and the short of it for me," Gillers said.

Yes; Washington and Agriculture, Jefferson and Agriculture, Carter and Agriculture, etc, etc, etc.... :D

Paws,

Are you just making up these connections of Washington, Jefferson, and Carter with agriculture up like you did with the HarleyDavidson being the leading nameplate in Japan and Reagan being the 2nd best President? :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could explain to those of us who aren't old enough to have been around during the Jefferson administration. Can you tell us what it was like?

And are you referring to "Agriculture" in general, or specific parts of Ag? I would think "Agriculture" is so broad, by definition, the Presidents you indicted were actually not "indebted to a single industry". Being in bed with the Sugar industry is much different than being in bed with Welfare Ranchers. Being in bed with Grain farmers is much different than being in bed with Poultry producers. :confused:

Gunner, do you go out of your way looking for ways to lampoon Bush & Cheney? Yes, they are oil men, we get it. It's been done, thanks anyway. I'm SURE there's no one else who EVER does the rich-man duck hunt thing; just Cheney's oil buddies.

SO WHAT?

You missed (or rather ignored) the entire point of the article, and it does make some interesting allegations. Instead of repeating--again--all of the "Cheney oil buddy" bullshit, why not take a different tack and scratch your head over Scalia's possible impropriety? Or perhaps you're more interested in slinging mud.

Elkgunner, call me a liar and I'll provide you with an opportunity to explain why you did so to a Judge along with your interpretation of why your comment isn't slanderous. Any more questions? Fun is fun and I don't mind participating in fun or good natured ribbing; but you are pushing the envelope my friend.

dgibson said, "Gunner, do you go out of your way looking for ways to lampoon Bush & Cheney?"

Actually, I think Bush and Cheney do a pretty good job of that themselves.

It seems a "little" inappropriate for a judge and a litigant to be sharing a hunting camp...but hey thats JMO.

Buzz, I agree wholeheartedly! Like I said, there's enough questionable behavior in that article without making it an "oil man buddy" issue. Even if Scalia hasn't changed his opinion and even if he's still impartial, he still should know that he had no business being there. There's just too much opportunity for influence and is an obvious target for accusations of foul play.

I am a big fan of Scalia, but this looks like a no brainer to me. He should recuse himself from th case.

I'd agree that Scalia must have had a brain fart. How could he not see a conflict?

Paws, I'm glad you're the only one here that uses the threat of legal action for being called a liar. We'd all be in court right now defending ourselves instead of reading these interesting topics. Who here hasn't been called a liar at some point? Luckily, most just try to post proof to what they said, rather than getting their panties in a bunch. ;) But, in some cases I guess that's easier than posting proof.

Oak

Colorado Oak, I appreciate the advice but if I'm going to have to go to all the trouble of providing documentation or foot noted foot notes then; I'm going to make my point stick. In this particular case I have provided what I considered to be adequate evidence to this particular individual and I'm tired of being slammed over it. He has the right to his opinion. I suppose it is possible to post a video tape; but I lack the skill, expertise, and license to do so in this case; so I gave him the title. I can not comprehend the perceptive motivational techniques required to teach this individual that CNN broadcasts news composed of facts, opinions, and items of interest not necessarilly constructed or contrived by their staff. Best I can do there is to say; "It was on CNN last Sunday morning!"

Good thing gunner never used the highly illegal, "liar, liar, pants on fire" bit.

Paws would have in front of a grand jury for sure. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Get real, I mean really...did big kids beat you up for your lunch money or what?

The grand jury only serves to write indictments for criminal cases Buzz; not civil cases. No Buzz kids didn't beat me up to take my lunch money; not more than once anyway. You got something to say spit it out.

Oh, so now it just a simple civil case against Gunner, I see. I was quite certain the Grand Jury would be more appropriate for true crime...like that committed by the Gunner.

I'm sure he's busy consulting with his attorney, as we type.

And Yes, I'm still trying to find the part where you were called a liar...are you lying about that or what? Not trying to push the envelope or anything, just find the phrase: "Paws you're a liar". I'd like to read that.

Well you were mistaken about the grand jury; hey it happens! Take your time on your research. I'm sure if you set aside the bias you will find the answer to your inquiry.

Nope, went back and reread the post, he never even used that dreaded word.

Your attorney fired up yet?

I don't use attorneys. I file in small claims court asking for damages and expenses. Usually I win by default judgement then place a lien on the defendant's properties.

Good luck with that angle...nobody has ever thought of that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So, how many times have you attempted your little scheme?

Oh, and do you really want a double wide in Idaho?

Come on Buzz!!! You're holding up my 800th post!! ;) (Oh.never mind!) :rolleyes:

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back