Puffy? Synthetic, warm, not crazy expensive?

Yeah seems like for whatever reason people kinda cap their synthetic jackets at ~130 grams of synthetic.

(100-140)
Atom Ar
Kifaru LPP
Uncompaghre
Macro Puff
Sitka Kelvin
Simms

(+ 180)
Black diamond Belay
Nuclei SV
DAS Parka
Integral Designs Dolomitti

I currently have a micropuff (~65g) a OD research (75g), and a OD down jacket... I often have to layer all three lol... starting in like October.

You must get cold, like me.

This data really should be spreadsheeted - gotta keep Ben on his toes. :)

For the real big guys here, check out Pnuma. I saw them at The Total Archery Challenge, they make REAL BIG sizes, 3XL-T jackets and pants, and pants in 36X38!! 38 inch inseam!

That said, I have none of their products, but I love their camo pattern and that they carry tall sizes as I have very long arms. I plan on purchasing from them for sure.

Here is their puffy. $310

Has anyone on here used down pants for glassing? I'm interested if it's worth it and if so what kind of specs I should be looking for?

Right now I'm eyeing
Kuiiu super ultra down pant
Mtn hardware ghost whisperer

Leaning towards the Kuiu because of the full side zip versus quarterish side zip on the mtn hardware
Yep, the term gets way over used, but a game changer for me. I get super cold, quickly and puffy pants have greatly extended my glassing sessions. They are also great for sitting around camp in the evenings.

You 100% want full zip, your going to be balancing on one foot pulling them over muddy boots.

I have First Lite uncompahgre pants, used them a lot late season and sitting in the stand. Also they get used a lot walking the dog on cold mornings.

Last edited:
Has anyone on here used down pants for glassing? I'm interested if it's worth it and if so what kind of specs I should be looking for?

Right now I'm eyeing
Kuiiu super ultra down pant
Mtn hardware ghost whisperer

Leaning towards the Kuiu because of the full side zip versus quarterish side zip on the mtn hardware
I started using belay pants for cold weather glassing in @ 2010 after using ice climbing for several years. They are worth it in some cases. It's just like other layers, no free lunch. You can pick some combo of lightweight, warm, moisture resistant, etc. but you can't have it all.

I've tried belay pants from Western Mountaineering, Integral Designs, Rab, Montbell, I think MH can't remember, maybe more. I've come to prefer full separating side zips as well. You can sleep with them on to extend your bag rating a fair bit.

I think there's a sweet spot in the @ 10-14 oz range where they're providing enough horsepower to get through anything above about -10, and light enough you'll actually bring them when it's pretty cold.

I personally do not carry mine on the average hunt. Sloppy cold spring bear days and late season November mountain jaunts with wind is about it.

word. I dropped 1k in the last month on things to keep me warmer. I can't recall, but why did you want synthetic fill?

It was -20 on Sunday and rained on Monday...

:)

Serious answer
1. I have a down jacket for early season fast and light use.
2. I'm planning on doing wet and cold hunts, AK/ New England

It was -20 on Sunday and rained on Monday...

:)

Serious answer
1. I have a down jacket for early season fast and light use.
2. I'm planning on doing wet and cold hunts, AK/ New England
you know they make these things called "shells" that actually keep you pretty dry.

That millet of mine does handle -20 quite well. Good luck with your search, I'm sure between you, snowy, and grant you'll come up with better choices than I could.

I looked at it too, but for that price I think there's better products out there.

that might be one of the last ones I would think about for your wet applications though.
I think I was looking at a different review.

I was thinking the Skaha Apex.

Working up a spreadsheet on these down/insulated pants. I'm open to advice on other brands or specs I should look for. All these are full side zip and somewhat waterproof or windproof with the exception of the Kuiu kenaiView attachment 209584
I'm liking it. Seems you might want a column for side zipper length. Something 0, 1/4, 1/2, 1 might be good for sorting on length of zipper. Might include Pimaloft or other synthetics also.

I'm sure Ben has some suggestions for spreadsheeting, of course. :)

Working up a spreadsheet on these down/insulated pants. I'm open to advice on other brands or specs I should look for. All these are full side zip and somewhat waterproof or windproof with the exception of the Kuiu kenaiView attachment 209584
I went with these because I found them new for $85. Despite the fact they feel like they're going to tear if I even look at them wrong, they've held up quite well for the last 3 years and are noticeably warmer than many on your list.

Feathered Friends Helios pant. $269, 13 oz/med, 4.4oz/126g of 900 fill.

Your g of insulation is going to be a different unit of measure for synthetic and down. Down will be in total down load, synthetic will be in g/m2.

Back