Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Puffy? Synthetic, warm, not crazy expensive?

Man, I wish one of y'all were taller! All fantastic info here but I don't see "available in tall" as a requirement / column on your spreadsheets @neffa3 ..update?

Edit: of course w this info I can now do my own search to see if any of these companies sell tall sizes, so Thanks for sharing..usually my tall requirements push me to Eddie Bauer earth tones in First Ascent line...good value there when on sale. I like my EB evertherm but definitely not a sit all day glassing kind of warm.

Last edited:
Funny I’m in a similar boat. I want a belay jacket. Essentially something that I can pull out of my pack at the top of the mountain and sit and glass. Stay warm… no activity… for hours.

Leaning towards synthetic but doesn’t have to be, I don’t want blue, any other color is fine. I get cold so I’m leaning towards warmer end of things. Sub 24oz for weight. For synthetics at least 120 g/m2 of insulation in the body.
Sometimes, Will, I think we are so alike it scares me... :)

You?

Great ideas here. I will spend the evening checking out many of them.

Like Will, I want to be warm for hours when mostly inactive. And I want it to stuff into very little space for the same reason.

Fabric durability is not high on my list of priorities. more durability means stiffer, less stuffable, heavier, and NOISIER - which I detest. When I have to go through thick stuff, if I'm wearing it at all, I'll throw a canvas hunting jacket or chore jacket over it.

Lots of things here I hadn't heard of before, so this is great help. But right now the Patagonia thing I posted is the best I could find on my own.

Great ideas here. I will spend the evening checking out many of them.

Like Will, I want to be warm for hours when mostly inactive. And I want it to stuff into very little space for the same reason.

Fabric durability is not high on my list of priorities. more durability means stiffer, less stuffable, heavier, and NOISIER - which I detest. When I have to go through thick stuff, if I'm wearing it at all, I'll throw a canvas hunting jacket or chore jacket over it.

Lots of things here I hadn't heard of before, so this is great help. But right now the Patagonia thing I posted is the best I could find on my own.
That pataguchi isn't going to be a fraction as warm as a lot of the other ideas offered up. There's a reason it didn't even make my list, though I'll admit my list was geared towards also being light weight.

That pataguchi isn't going to be a fraction as warm as a lot of the other ideas offered up. There's a reason it didn't even make my list, though I'll admit my list was geared towards also being light weight.

On what basis do you say that? Down Power factor? I don't see a fill rating. I'm going to look at your list in some detail shortly. I need a slice of fresh pumpkin pie first.

Sorry....off topic but I had to share this picture. lol

Every time I hear someone say puffer I recall my buddy sitting there in that boat while we were moose hunting up in Canada with that ridiculous looking ski jacket on.

I remember telling him how slim of a chance it would be that we would see someone but if we saw someone he was going to have to take that ridiculous jacket off....or abandon my ship....

"I'm embarrassed for you" I remember being mentioned several times that morning. lol

View attachment 204894
This guy looks warm. I like that. Don't laugh a guy that's warm when you are cold. A bit lighter shade would be nice.

I'd never ski in that however. Be sweating to death in no time.

On what basis do you say that? Down Power factor? I don't see a fill rating. I'm going to look at your list in some detail shortly. I need a slice of fresh pumpkin pie first.
I've worn one. I would compare it to a 15 year old North Face 550 fill puffy, but with better outer fabric.

Over the past 2 years I’ve worn the SG gumman from O’Hare to ft lauderdale to the superstitions, big and little cuckoldwood, bridger bowl, the mighty Nuchu range, maroon bells,Taos valley, the grocery store, tree stand and a high school football game in the pouring rain without any issues.
Prob slept in it 10ish nights.
Gonna give it its first wash as soon as my down detergent gets here.
No complaints thus far.
And I feel like a cool silver spaceman when I put it on.
Packable puffys are bae.

Eddie Bauer is pulling in front of SG Gumman. But it's getting fast and furious going down the back straight away as we head for the checkers.

Out of your suggested budget but for what its worth I couldn't imagine needing more than the first lite Chamberlain. Its weighty at 25oz. I don't know how much of that is 800 fill but I have never seen a bigger badder puffy.

I went over and handled an EB Downlight a bit ago. A real nice jacket for the money, but I have to say I doubt it has the loft that I think you’re looking for as a belay style jacket. Honestly the Grumman is borderline to me as well for just plain sitting for hours in October and later. They spec close to some others in fill weight/power, but I think those narrow baffles limit loft a fair bit. There is some research to that effect at BPL if I recall. Have not owned either, only handled both and owned a bunch of others so take for what it's worth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back