Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Puffy? Synthetic, warm, not crazy expensive?

3 pages & a spreadsheet about puffy jackets.

This is the most cabin fever thing I've ever read in my life.

Me thinks you exaggerate, Good Ben. Note it was started on 10 December and hunting season was just getting into full swing. Surely Hunt Talk can do much better than this, and all while being only 1/10th as useful.

Cabin fever will really start after February, though the first symptoms are already trending. When you see me asking about a good scope for a Krag 98, yup, I'm struggling... :)

Me thinks you exaggerate, Good Ben. Note it was started on 10 December and hunting season was just getting into full swing. Surely Hunt Talk can do much better than this, and all while being only 1/10th as useful.

Cabin fever will really start after February, though the first symptoms are already trending. When you see me asking about a good scope for a Krag 98, yup, I'm struggling... :)

It's a VX3hd in either 1.5x5 or 2.5x8. That's the answer. Like 90% of the time, that's the answer.

Someone made a spreadsheet. About a puffy coat.

That's leveling up like nobody's business.

Old thread, but you should add the first lite chamberlin to your spreadsheet. I know it's 800 fill power, but it weighs 25oz. I can vouch for it as really freaking warm tho. Big pockets and sweet hood.
I agree is it likely a warm puffy, but it's twice as heavy as most of those on that list. I was prioritizing lightweight. Though, I compromised on a coat that was 18 oz but offered incomparable warmth to weight.

this may start a fist fight but... My gerry puffy from costco is great. cost I think 20bucks and so far its more durable then the "nicer" one I use to have that got tore up from my neighbors dog jumping up on me wanting attention. Doesn't pack down quite as good but plenty good enough and way warmer.

It's a VX3hd in either 1.5x5 or 2.5x8. That's the answer. Like 90% of the time, that's the answer.

Someone made a spreadsheet. About a puffy coat.

That's leveling up like nobody's business.
I do not know what that is, but it's early 20th vintage, no?

You know this can't be easy. Needs to be hard to find, perhaps slightly odd (as is the Krag '98), and if it comes with a story, that's a big plus.

EB downlite currently on sale for just $125! I got mine for $165 size L a couple months ago. If it’s really cold I’ll wear on top of my REI ultralite 650 size M that I picked up for $60 on eBay.

@BrentD if you still have your ruined Patagonia jacket I’ll buy it off you for the materials.

Green Uncompahgre? I use mine for everything.
I'm personally looking for a really warm synthetic. Not all insulation materials are the same, but if you just assume for comparison sake they are and then go by insulation weight, the Uncompahgre is on the low end of the spectrum for me.

Great jacket, I just have a down puffy, and 3 other lighter weight synthetics.

I'm personally looking for a really warm synthetic.
They don't make the one I have anymore, it is a Millet, with an older version of 3-layer gore-tex and 200 g/m2 of primaloft gold. Holy cow it's warm, just a bit too heavy for backpacking or I wouldn't have bought that FF.

Just looking around for an example equivalent and you're right, there's nothing in stock.

I'm personally looking for a really warm synthetic. Not all insulation materials are the same, but if you just assume for comparison sake they are and then go by insulation weight, the Uncompahgre is on the low end of the spectrum for me.

Maybe bite the bullet and do a Kifaru LPP? I’ve tried hiking in mine while it was -10 and broke a sweat. It’s the warmest thing I’ve ever had, and probably overkill for what I need.

I've a goretex Klim pullover that I layer an Arcteryx Thorium under...both purchased on sale, yet still a buy/cry moment. Pit zips and vented Klim...works well. Have used it for motorcycle and hunting.

Shell like this...
1642617541037.png

For the ultimate in stylish, OG synthetic puffies, you can still get the Integral Designs Dolomitti sold through FellFab in Canada, 170g/m2. I had one for several years. It looks straight out of a 90's Mark Twight promo VHS. Dolomitti Parka A sweet ca. 2005 backpackinglight review of it is sadly behind a paywall.

Maybe bite the bullet and do a Kifaru LPP? I’ve tried hiking in mine while it was -10 and broke a sweat. It’s the warmest thing I’ve ever had, and probably overkill for what I need.
Definitely an option I considered, but I'm not going to ever hike in it so the extra bulk and weight of the cordura isn't something I really want.

I tried on a DAS parka and didn't like the fit.

I think I'm likely going with a Nuclei if they ever come back in stock.

Look around on Simms' website. They have pimaloft jackets. Not sure any are warm enough. On sale too.

Look around on Simms' website. They have pimaloft jackets. Not sure any are warm enough. On sale too.
Yeah seems like for whatever reason people kinda cap their synthetic jackets at ~130 grams of synthetic.

(100-140)
Atom Ar
Kifaru LPP
Uncompaghre
Macro Puff
Sitka Kelvin
Simms

(+ 180)
Black diamond Belay
Nuclei SV
DAS Parka
Integral Designs Dolomitti

I currently have a micropuff (~65g) a OD research (75g), and a OD down jacket... I often have to layer all three lol... starting in like October.

Has anyone on here used down pants for glassing? I'm interested if it's worth it and if so what kind of specs I should be looking for?

Right now I'm eyeing
Kuiiu super ultra down pant
Mtn hardware ghost whisperer

Leaning towards the Kuiu because of the full side zip versus quarterish side zip on the mtn hardware

I currently have a micropuff (~65g) a OD research (75g), and a OD down jacket... I often have to layer all three lol... starting in like October.
word. I dropped 1k in the last month on things to keep me warmer. I can't recall, but why did you want synthetic fill?

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back