Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Puffy? Synthetic, warm, not crazy expensive?

I have the REI Magma 850 that I got for $130. I'm not sure if they still make it, but it's been good for me.

Working up a spreadsheet on these down/insulated pants. I'm open to advice on other brands or specs I should look for. All these are full side zip and somewhat waterproof or windproof with the exception of the Kuiu kenaiView attachment 209584
The Eddie Bauer 650 down fill jacket at Costco seems like a decent jacket for only 40 dollars. They had it on sale got it for $31 and it weights only 10oz for the small size. It seems plenty warm just recently got the ghost whisperer 2 which is 7.5 oz at $325 will be comparing both side to side in the next few weeks. So far I must say they are both comparably warm.

this may start a fist fight but... My gerry puffy from costco is great. cost I think 20bucks and so far its more durable then the "nicer" one I use to have that got tore up from my neighbors dog jumping up on me wanting attention. Doesn't pack down quite as good but plenty good enough and way warmer.
The Eddie Bauer 650 down fill jacket at Costco seems like a decent jacket for only 40 dollars got it on sale for $31.

The Eddie Bauer 650 down fill jacket at Costco seems like a decent jacket for only 40 dollars. They had it on sale got it for $31 and it weights only 10oz for the small size. It seems plenty warm just recently got the ghost whisperer 2 which is 7.5 oz at $325 will be comparing both side to side in the next few weeks. So far I must say they are both comparably warm.
This will be a real interesting comparison! Looking forward to it

I got a EB made for Cabella's 900 Outfitters series parka back when they wanted the high end folks,y2k?. On sale $160. Has a suede type finish in brown. Full baffles. Damn thing is very warm. -20 rated, been way colder and still warm. Very quiet.
Fits under my Gander Mtn waterfowl parka in real bad wet conditions. Then it's camo,lol.

The pants spreadsheet has my interest.
Those BD belay pants look great for around here.
Full zip a must. No black or garish colors.

REI,50% off sale in outlet. Lots of puffies.....$100-200
The hilarious contridiciton of HT...

6.5PRC v. .264 win mag v. 26 nosler v 6.5 weatherby RPM; 20 pages of posts with people arguing that one caliber is vastly superior to another.

Meanwhile, a $30 650 down costco jacket is the same thing as a 180 gram primaloft gold synthetic jacket.

:rolleyes:

I have the Bd Stance belay pants and the Rab Photons, both are good, slight edge to the Rab, I'd add Mountain equipment compressor pants to the spreadsheet (way smaller than the Mountain Hardwear compressor) and also consider the compressor 3/4 length if you are actually walking around in them, most of my climbing partners are rolling with the 3/4 length on multi-day trips because of the weight.
I'd also consider a down skirt if you are just sitting and glassing, warmer and lighter than pants but a little constricting if you are walking around.

I have the Bd Stance belay pants and the Rab Photons, both are good, slight edge to the Rab, I'd add Mountain equipment compressor pants to the spreadsheet (way smaller than the Mountain Hardwear compressor) and also consider the compressor 3/4 length if you are actually walking around in them, most of my climbing partners are rolling with the 3/4 length on multi-day trips because of the weight.
I'd also consider a down skirt if you are just sitting and glassing, warmer and lighter than pants but a little constricting if you are walking around.
I believe it's called an insulated technical kilt

FWIW, I made the decision to go with the Eddie Bauer jacket. It's cheaper and bad things happen to my stuff around here. It's not a warm as I might like, but it is definitely easily packable, still quite warm, and it allows a certain amount of flexibility. I have a couple of REI lighter weight puffies that can be worn either under or over the EB jacket. I did this while sitting on a hillside waiting for deer in single digit weather and was quite toasty. So, I'll go multi-jacketed if need be, but I'll also be able to leave one or the other at home as conditions warrant.

Then only real downside to this set-up is that it is down, not a fancy synthetic that would be more water resilient and resistant. One company that I neglected to check out is Simms. They have some pretty spiffy stuff and might have a really nice puffy (though probably not in my prefered price category).

This was a super helpful thread for me, and I really appreciate everyone's input. I'll be warm for some years to come and that will be especially important if we move Up North in the next year.

I think @wllm1313 said he was looking for something similar too. What did you decide, Will?
Couldn't decide and did research for the last 8 months lol... took what I had to AK and was like "do I really need something new?"

In the end companies like nunatak are still struggling post covid and didn't have what I wanted... I tried on the BD jacket and just didn't like it, and most of the other companies synthetic jackets just weren't warm enough.

In the end the SG Cirque was in the running, but I went with the Arcteryx Nuclei SV. Pricey... but it seems like it's going to be warm enough for a 1 quiver puffy. It's definitely a "glassing"/ belay jacket so it's going into the pack if I start walking. The face fabric definitely seems pretty delicate.

The SV is delicate? Wow, not what I would have expected you to say.
It's definitely not cordura :)

You probably don't want to do much hiking/bush whacking with any puffy. Probably not going to dive into Oak brush to put it to the test, but it seems like the jacket packs down pretty well and is very light all things considered.

The BD is heavier but definitely a tougher face fabric.

I have more puffy jackets than I can count 7-8, both down and synthetic? I can't pass up a deal, and shop them in the spring on clearance.

I bought a Mountain Hardware Compressor jacket last spring on sale. I'm going to buy 2 more this spring. My previous favorite was made by Brooks Range, but they went out of business a few years back.

I don't mind down, but only use it when its super cold. I find if you have any sort of condensation (rain/snow/sweat) and then compress it, it drives the moisture into the feathers. The down doesn't really recover as well as synthetic.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back