Puffy? Synthetic, warm, not crazy expensive?

BrentD

My old Pima Loft Patagonia puffy died this morning. It had many holes and tears, but now the main zipper is shot and it's not worth fixing. I'm in need of a nonmegabucks puffy that is similarly light in actual weight while very warm, quiet, perhaps not completely wind or waterproof (I can layer), and not megabucks.

Patagonia has one that is sort of similar but 700 power recycled down - $279. 2.5x more expensive than my old one - I'm cheap but I don't like to freeze. https://www.rei.com/product/134541/patagonia-silent-down-jacket-mens

Anything else that would be cheaper or something that might cost a bit more but would be worth it for some reason? I saw recommendations for Costco, but didn't sound particularly warm.

Extra bonus points for non-camo, but also not egregious solid colors. There are some decent jackets out there in hideous non-earth tone colors that I'm not considering.

Or do I just go all in buy the Kuiu/Kifaru/Sitka uniform? :)

Which model? DAS?
Just for comparison sake in terms of loft and performance you might want. And budget, like <$200 range?

If you don't want to spend big bucks, check out probably the best for your money value Decathlon Forclaz Trek ($80) or the REI's Co-op 650 down hoodie 2.0.

Decathlon is hard to beat for the money.

Snowy, I don't have concrete budget limitations. I just feel guilty at some point - roughly $250, in this case, but I could go more if necessary.

DAS?

the patagonia model I tried to link to is called the "Silent Down". It would be right around $250 after my REI 10% rebate

Snowy, I don't have concrete budget limitations. I just feel guilty at some point - roughly $250, in this case, but I could go more if necessary.

DAS?

the patagonia model I tried to link to is called the "Silent Down". It would be right around $250 after my REI 10% rebate
Gotcha, makes sense. The DAS was the widely distributed synthetic puffy that Patagonia made for years (the "re-make" it now but it's different). I was just curious for comparison sake.

Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka is the first that comes to mind, almost 5 oz of 800 fill, $250, some nice colors. There are cheaper options that will work, but MB is the best value in the upper tier of down product manufacturers in my opinion. I used that model as a primary puffy for fall-spring for several years.

For $50 more is the Alpine Down Parka, which is what I use now. @NoWiser has one. It's excellent and very warm. Box baffled body compared to the Alpine Light, and two ounces more down.

Fabric durability is always a tradeoff on pieces like these. It doesn't bother me, but not sure if it's a higher priority depending on how you'd use it. Also I know those aren't synthetic, but sounded like you'd be open to down.

Funny I’m in a similar boat. I want a belay jacket. Essentially something that I can pull out of my pack at the top of the mountain and sit and glass. Stay warm… no activity… for hours.

Leaning towards synthetic but doesn’t have to be, I don’t want blue, any other color is fine. I get cold so I’m leaning towards warmer end of things. Sub 24oz for weight. For synthetics at least 120 g/m2 of insulation in the body.

My list at this point…
$450 - Patagonia DAS (synthetic)
$400 - Patagonia macro puff (synthetic)
$400 - Patagonia fitz roy
$300 - Arcteryx Atom AR (synthetic)
$325 - Arcteryx Thorium
$299 - Montbell Alpine

Of these Arcteryx has the most durable face fabric. Atom and Macro are the least warm… but synthetic so might be a good option to layer with… and I hunt in places that are cold and wet so.

Every one of these is currently sold out in my size though…

Lost parkfrom kifaru is waaay to bulky for the warmth. Im not bushwhacking in a puffy, Cordura seems crazy.

Sitka kelvin, they don’t publish the fill so it’s really hard to compare to other products.

Kuiu… some options here
Rab… good options as well

Not what I wanted but I’d look at the outdoor research helium for your needs. $279.

KUIU is not out of line on their Puffy prices...

ELEMENTS JACKET
$219.00

SUPER DOWN ULTRA JACKET
$279.00

KUIU is not out of line on their Puffy prices...

ELEMENTS JACKET
$219.00

SUPER DOWN ULTRA JACKET
$279.00

I was looking at those as well... couple thoughts, and just trying to be constructive.

Seems like the consensus is that draped synthetic insulation is better than the down mimicry in terms of warmth, especially warm when wet.

Down is tough because it's amount ie oz of down * fill weight, and then you have to factor in face weight as that cuts down wind and keeps in some heat as well. Also design, baffle configuration.

Seems like the Super Down Pro $399 is pretty equivalent to the Montbell Alpine Light Down... at least on paper. Weight + Warmth.

Kuiu and Sitka are hard comparisons, because they don't get a lot of use outside of the hunting community. No offense but most hunters use costco jackets then move to Sitka and are like "HOLY SMOKES", which fair, but there aren't a ton of people comparing them to Patagonia/Rab/Montbell etc in heads-up comparisons.

They very well could be alpine industry leaders as well leaders in the hunting world but it's hard to say.

@Big Fin is there a Sitka rep or official account on the forum, that could tells us the synthetic primaloft fill weight of the Kelvin Aerolite jacket, and the oz of primaloft down in the Kelvin Lite down jacket. Also info on the face fabric of either piece?

Last edited:
Sorry....off topic but I had to share this picture. lol

Every time I hear someone say puffer I recall my buddy sitting there in that boat while we were moose hunting up in Canada with that ridiculous looking ski jacket on.

I remember telling him how slim of a chance it would be that we would see someone but if we saw someone he was going to have to take that ridiculous jacket off....or abandon my ship....

"I'm embarrassed for you" I remember being mentioned several times that morning. lol

DSC00007.JPG

I was looking at those as well... couple thoughts, and just trying to be constructive.

Seems like the consensus is that draped synthetic insulation is better than the down mimicry in terms of warmth, especially warm when wet.

Down is tough because it's amount ie oz of down * fill weight, and then you have to factor in face weight as that cuts down wind and keeps in some heat as well. Also design, baffle configuration.

Seems like the Super Down Pro $399 is pretty equivalent to the Montbell Alpine Light Down... at least on paper. Weight + Warmth.

Kuiu and Sitka are hard comparisons, because they don't get a lot of use outside of the hunting community. No offense but most hunters use costco jackets then move to Sitka and are like "HOLY SMOKES", which fair, but there aren't a ton of people comparing them to Patagonia/Rab/Montbell etc in heads-up comparisons.

They very well could be alpine industry leaders as well leaders in the hunting world but it's hard to say.

@Big Fin is there a Sitka rep or official account on the forum, that could tells us the synthetic primaloft fill weight of the Kelvin Aerolite jacket, and the oz of primaloft down in the Kelvin Lite down jacket. Also info on the face fabric of either piece?
Every outdoor clothing manufacturer should list for outerwear:
-Face fabric with CFM if not waterproof breathable, wp/b ratings in mm if wp/b
-Fill power
-Fill weight
-If synthetic fill is it continuous filament or cut staple

Most of that can be compiled form around the internet, but it's a huge PITA to get to the point you can compare apples to apples, as you know.

Every outdoor clothing manufacturer should list for outerwear:
-Face fabric with CFM if not waterproof breathable, wp/b ratings in mm if wp/b
-Fill power
-Fill weight
-If synthetic fill is it continuous filament or cut staple

Most of that can be compiled form around the internet, but it's a huge PITA to get to the point you can compare apples to apples, as you know.
100% agree

Case and point, I have loved the durability and cut of all my Sitka gear, but I’m not really considering them because have no way to compare them.

How warm is the kelvin, is it like a belay jacket, it is more an athletic jacket like the arcteryx atom Fl? Is the down like a more weather resistant thorium or is it more in the range of the montbell alpine. Etc

throw the Black Diamond belay parka to the list... I'm not a huge fan of BD clothing but they are better than most at keeping stuff in stock and have a lot of options

I’d second this option for what you are looking for.

Also, cross the Arcteryx Atom AR off your list. Great jacket, but not going to do what you want.

Good feedback.
Fyi...I bought a puffy from Costco . It was cheap but I wanted something for winter construction knowing it will get trashed .
The brand I bought is Gerry.
Pretty warm jacket but doesn't breath at all. Took a hike in it once and it was not good.

I have the kuiu pro down as a glassing layer, its hot except for very windy nasty cold days but its not nearly as warm as some other down i have worn in past in my military days. But....the material toughness and fit of the pro model is better than anything else i have found for puffy. Plus i love kuiu waist system for pants, very hunter friendly! The pro material didnt feel invinvceable but have yet to have a scratch on mine but i am careful but is designed to be a hunters outerlayer. Keep in mind i am a larger person and many fancy mountain companys dont make 3xl + jackets that fits my shoulders so its limited choices for me. I have a 3xl kuiu kenai jacket i will prob sell if anyone interested in the synthetic version.

Back