Public lands trash packout

The Wyoming Chapter of backcountry hunters and anglers put on a couple local trash packouts on a couple pieces of BLM land close to Laramie.

I think I'm done accepting that its "only a couple bad apple target shooters" that think my public lands are a place to shoot everything from propone tanks to used appliances to pieces and leave it.

The first cleanup was in an area we've done a couple previous clean ups, but still picked up 830 lbs of shooting debris.

The next area south of Laramie was a different story, and 9 people working for 2 hours picked up 2150 pounds of trash, literally picked up a ton of crap left by the "few bad apples". This area is going to take at least another half day and at least another "ton" or two to clean up.

Thank you for the twenty or so people we had show up for both events, pretty solid work that 20 people picked up just about 3 thousand pounds of garbage off our public lands.

sandcreekcu.jpg
Always take out more than ya bring.

I’ve seen a number of local DNR lands closed to recreational shooting. I’m surprised it hasn’t also happened on the nearby BLM. It’s sad, and I have no idea how to rectify the stupidity that leads to it.

Thanks for cleaning that up BUZZ and crew!! Proving that there are good people who care.

I pick up trash all the time when I am out hunting everywhere I go. Drives my wife nuts that I stop the truck so much for garbage.

I came out of a WMA sign in hunt in GA with a garbage bag over my shoulder one year looking like santa clause coming up through the woods to my truck.....A warden was driving by and stopped and asked me what was in the bag and I told him it was mostly water bottles, tinks canisters, and flagging/ribbon marking peoples treestands for the hunt they had held the prior week and I was sick and tired of seeing it in the woods lying around everywhere after the hunt when I was small game hunting...

He chuckled and said I was "welcome to come back and do the same thing again next year"......I quickly replied "Your welcome to start doing your job and catching litter bugs anytime between now and then..."

He rolled up his window and drove off without even a thank you (Not that I was looking for or expecting one).

Thanks for cleaning that up BUZZ and crew!! Proving that there are good people who care.

I pick up trash all the time when I am out hunting everywhere I go. Drives my wife nuts that I stop the truck so much for garbage.

I came out of a WMA sign in hunt in GA with a garbage bag over my shoulder one year looking like santa clause coming up through the woods to my truck.....A warden was driving by and stopped and asked me what was in the bag and I told him it was mostly water bottles, tinks canisters, and flagging/ribbon marking peoples treestands for the hunt they had held the prior week and I was sick and tired of seeing it in the woods lying around everywhere after the hunt when I was small game hunting...

He chuckled and said I was "welcome to come back and do the same thing again next year"......I quickly replied "Your welcome to start doing your job and catching litter bugs anytime between now and then..."

He rolled up his window and drove off without even a thank you (Not that I was looking for or expecting one).
Good on you for pulling all that stuff out of the woods, though I don't know if I would have the nerve to say that to a warden!

During LEO training for Natural Resources the officers are often asked to consider what a judge is going to say about the citation or arrest. Unfortunately, at that time, most judges didn't really care about a small amount of litter. How often would a judge hold someone responsible for leaving one item of garbage out in the woods, when they have "bigger" items to worry about on their docket. I applaud the efforts that the original poster made with cleanup, as well as your efforts.

I remember doing a cleanup out on Roger's Canyon Rd with the AFS when I was in Laramie. If I recall, BHA had hauled a bunch of crap out of there weeks before. We still hauled out several truck loads. It's really disappointing how quickly it piles up.

When I was in Lander, it was the same thing on the BLM east of Hudson. That's actually the most abused piece of BLM I've ever seen anywhere. Noxious weeds and illegal roads absolutely covered the place. It's depressing because that's a really cool area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back