Prove me wrong Theoretical 30-06

It would go down, I’d guess we would see less long range elk hunting

They would argue which weight bullet is the best.

I would say success would decrease a little, but not much. Many of those 3-400 yard shots would be air balls. I think the faster shooting rifles alleviate the drop compensation.

False, why? I won’t go deep into the physics too much, and you probably don’t want me to calculate the difference... Force = Mass x Acceleration. A more massive bullet traveling at greater velocity will transfer more energy into what it strikes. Add in greater surface area contact and there will even be even greater energy transfer. You may know one way explosions kill is through waves of air traveling with extreme velocity and energy? This can burst tissue of all sorts by rupturing cells, tissues and organs.

In short, “bigger” cartridges allow for “bigger” error. High lung shots routinely kill by shocking the spinal chord.

There’s also the impossible variable to handle of the marksman… I am talking about the same bullet striking the same location.

Then there’s the factor of the rifle… one of the WORST rifles I’ve ever shot was an early synthetic Ruger ‘06. It was that plastic skeleton thing; super light, super stiff, and shitty recoil pad.

My Kampfeld Custom 300wm with 200 grain bullets kicks WAY less, and it’s first group was 1/4 MOA with factory loads. Is it more deadly than an ‘06? If the bullets strike the same location it is. In my feeble hands it’s not that it’s just a 300, but a whole variety of variables that allows me to shoot it effectively.

Throw a marine sniper behind that old Ruger and it’d be more deadly than me and my setup…

I think it would stay the same. There are other factors that influence success way more than the cartridge you are shooting.

Force = Mass x Acceleration. A more massive bullet traveling at greater velocity will transfer more energy into what it strikes.
True. But why would a less massive bullet be traveling slower? Are you talking muzzle velocity or longer distance impact velocity? I understand what you are saying but the "bigger is better" vs. speed kills argument is not settled science.
The OP question is interesting. It's got me wondering. If 30-06 is the middle what's the over under? Are more hunters shooting big magnums or are more guys shooting faster, smaller bullets?

True. But why would a less massive bullet be traveling slower? Are you talking muzzle velocity or longer distance impact velocity? I understand what you are saying but the "bigger is better" vs. speed kills argument is not settled science.
The OP question is interesting. It's got me wondering. If 30-06 is the middle what's the over under? Are more hunters shooting big magnums or are more guys shooting faster, smaller bullets?

In science we change one variable to find our answer. This question would take a pile of experiments.

When I teach my students I start with extremes and a rather poor experiment so they can see clear differences. We then dig back in testing one variable at a time.

I might have them calculate the force of a train traveling extremely slowly versus a ping pong at the speed of light. We compare the results and they quickly decide they’d rather be hit by the train. We then discuss the why of it all. We then look into hypothetical experiments. My favorite has been messing with ping bong balls! Ping pong cannons over a chronograph into fruit is always fun and terrifying.

There are so many variables to think about in this case.

Maybe we would want to start with 30 calibers out of the same rifle, at the same range, and more, but at ONLY different velocities. The key to finding your answer is only changing one factor at a time and then the story will slowly unfold.

I think it would stay the same. There are other factors that influence success way more than the cartridge you are shooting.
Brutal reality… there are infinite factors that all have some level of affect. That’s why the machine can always sell us on the “newest greatest thing.”

Last edited:
I’d guess it would stay about the same. Those that kill elk on the regular will kill elk with whatever you give them, within reason.
That’s what it comes down to. Some people kill elk consistently, some don’t. I bet success rates wouldn’t change very much among the guys who do if you gave them .30-30s with iron sights.

Overall I think it would slightly go down. Though, I think if we broke the samples up by different hunting districts or states, in some I think it would go down a larger amount.

It’s possible I am overestimating the amount of folks who engage in “long range” shooting, but I believe the proportion of hunters who do, and to whom a 30-06 would be considered too much a lobbed balistically, increases annually.

Last edited:
Overall I think it would slightly go down. Though, I think if we broke the samples up by different hunting districts or states, in some I think it would go down a larger amount.

It’s possible I am overestimating the amount of folks who engage in “long range” shooting, but I believe the proportion of hunters who do, and to whom a 30-06 would be considered too much a lobbed balistically, increases annually.
What if the cartridge was changed to an excellent long range cartridge, would success go up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back