Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Prove me wrong Theoretical 30-06

Only one variable here: changing the caliber. In my experiment, people have the same latitude about loads, scopes, models, actions etc. At the big picture, I don't think it would make a particle of difference. On one end, there would be fewer elk wounded or lost with lower energy cartridges like .243 or 30/30 and a few more elk killed at distance greater than 100 yards. On the other end, there would be a few less elk taken at long ranges (but also fewer wounded and lost). Plus a lot of hunters shoot magnums that are too much gun for them. The 30/06 is about the limit of what most shooters can handle with regards to recoil. So maybe 3-5 percent fewer elk taken, maybe. But a small percentage either way. But there would be an enormous impact to industry marketing -- gun writers and gun companies who need to crank out the "next greatest thing." Don't get me wrong, tinkering with rifles is a great hobby, but it's 99 percent marketing IMO.

I don't know.... If all the guys shooting 6.5 Creedmoors had to upgrade, they might kill more elk.

QQ

If more guys quit the .300mag and use something with less kick they might actually stop flinching and kill what they're aiming at instead of just wounding it...of course, it's hard to justify having Truck Nutz and Bone Collector stickers if you're not shooting a magnum...

If everyone used one cartridge long term they would be much more familiar with it. There would be less changing guns and then having to get used to a new rifle.
I am not sure that success wouldn't go up.

If more guys quit the .300mag and use something with less kick they might actually stop flinching and kill what they're aiming at instead of just wounding it...of course, it's hard to justify having Truck Nutz and Bone Collector stickers if you're not shooting a magnum...
That said, the best elk hunters clearly wear Stormy Kromers and shoot .300 Win Mags.

I mean... same thing right...
image.jpg

If I waved my magic wand and changed the caliber of every rifle used in elk hunting to a 30-06, all else remaining the same, the overall success rate of elk hunters would remain essentially unchanged. True of false?
Absolutely true. If you changed it to .30-30 the success rate might even go up! Recoil matters (among other things).

However, the ditches would be littered with failed gun makers, ammo makers, and gun show and gunshop owners. It would be grim.

If we were going to limit them to one cartridge I am fine with that, but how about we make it so that scopes can't have turrets that can be dialed to a yardage or hold over reticles, and a max power of 14. You know so they actually have to hunt them instead of shoot and wound shit from more than 500 yards plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back