Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Private Land Hunting... Cheating? Rifles...Cheating?

Im not going to feel bad if I get to hunt this year on private. Only a fool would pass up an opportunity to hunt a good piece of private. To me it all boils down to whether it is done legally and by Fairchase. I think you have to be careful where you draw the line as far as what constitutes cheating. If you think a rifle might be cheating then there are those that would think that your compound bow with your sites your binoculars also constitutes cheating. What about your rangefinder your four-wheel-drive or your four Wheeler that got you there or horse. Why not whittle your bow out of wood and your arrows?
It's almost like the same conversation that the flyfisherman have about those that use worms.

I would dare bet in Montana anyway that there are as many big elk killed on national forest as there is on private in the record books. Go hunt and have fun and if it's too easy then close one eye and try that for a season 😉

Cheating to me is when you break the law or hunting a preserve, As long as its fair chase and within the law, its not cheating, its an opportunity. I have hunted with bow on public ground and had success with elk the first time I went out. I have also hunted private ground with a rifle in MN for whitetails and I can tell you first hand, its not any easier other than not having to kick someone off your stand....sometimes.... I most certainly never felt that I cheated when I put back straps on the grill either.

Season opens in a few days. I'm getting a funny feeling.

Is anybody else having any funny feelings?

These poor elk.

Quick Greenhorn, go out to the area and name all the elk, then start Facebook pages for them. Funny feelings will go away quickly. Those poor elk

I have had the opportunity to hunt a number of ranches in my area "central Mt". Most have been positive experiences. I have one time had a rancher change his mind about allowing the taking of bucks and decided Does only. Having only 1 deer tag I thanked him for his hospitality and did not return. On private you will find some ranchers who are very particular where you go and how you get there while others just say go for it and harvest an animal or two. Am I having an unfair advantage over others on public land. Maybe just a persons opinion? Hunting on private also helps the landowner manage populations on their land which is a good thing. It also can help get animals back onto public land for others to enjoy. Each person must reach their level of ethical behavior and what works for them. Keep it within the law and enjoy the privilege we have as American's.
Just for the record I hunt with a bow, handgun, traditional muzzleloader, Sharps Black Powder Cartridge and rifle. It's all good but that's just my opinion.
Dan

Lunch break, so I can post again.
It is so fun to see everyones comments. Especially Lawnboy's. We are the best of friends.
To be clear again for the third time I am not condemning anyone for hunting on private or using a rifle. Just trying to think out loud with thoughts and feelings I have been having as of late. Perhaps some background to why I posted today.
Last night my brother called who lives in Ennis, MT. He said that a ranch manager called him last night of a large ranch outside of Ennis, owned by one of the owners of the NBC. The owner does not bow hunt, but is interested in perhaps starting. He asked his ranch manager to find someone who was willing to let him tag along, if he would let them hunt his private ranch, to give him an experience with bow hunting, so he could decide if he wanted to start himself. So the ranch manager called my brother and said would you and your brother like to hunt on the ranch with the owner of NBC opening weekend. Knowing we have family traditions my brother called me last night to ask what I thought. My brother is struggling a little on the decision he needs to make by today. Does he hunt with all his family on public grounds we have traditional gone on, or does he take this opportunity. I told him I valued the challenge of public lands and hunting with my sons and father and brothers and that I would pass, but that he could do as he pleases. I think he is going to take the opportunity which I would never condemn him for. I think it is just fine! But it got me thinking about me, where I stand, why I stand there. etc. Hence my post! I guess I am a fool Lawnboy for passing up this opportunity. We will joke about it when I see you tonight!
Perhaps as I stated before my wording of cheating was wrong, but it was obviously a good headline with as many comments and views as this thread has got in a short time. That is what I wanted,people opinions! I value them all!!!!! Thank you!!!!!
Signing out.

Last edited:
I'd do it in a heartbeat but wouldn't if it meant I had to miss a season with my son.

Season opens in a few days. I'm getting a funny feeling.

Is anybody else having any funny feelings?

These poor elk.

I actually got down and dusted off my bow last night. Yep.. still hits a 3" circle at 80 yards. Guess I'm good to go. Now if I could just find one of these poor elk your talking
about.:rolleyes:

Lunch break, so I can post again.
It is so fun to see everyones comments. Especially Lawnboy's. We are the best of friends.
To be clear again for the third time I am not condemning anyone for hunting on private or using a rifle. Just trying to think out loud with thoughts and feelings I have been having as of late. Perhaps some background to why I posted today.
Last night my brother called who lives in Ennis, MT. He said that a ranch manager called him last night of a large ranch outside of Ennis, owned by one of the owners of the NBC. The owner does not bow hunt, but is interested in perhaps starting. He asked his ranch manager to find someone who was willing to let him tag along, if he would let them hunt his private ranch, to give him an experience with bow hunting, so he could decide if he wanted to start himself. So the ranch manager called my brother and said would you and your brother like to hunt on the ranch with the owner of NBC opening weekend. Knowing we have family traditions my brother called me last night to ask what I thought. My brother is struggling a little on the decision he needs to make by today. Does he hunt with all his family on public grounds we have traditional gone on, or does he take this opportunity. I told him I valued the challenge of public lands and hunting with my sons and father and brothers and that I would pass, but that he could do as he pleases. I think he is going to take the opportunity which I would never condemn him for. I think it is just fine! But it got me thinking about me, where I stand, why I stand there. etc. Hence my post! I guess I am a fool Lawnboy for passing up this opportunity. We will joke about it when I see you tonight!
Perhaps as I stated before my wording of cheating was wrong, but it was obviously a good headline with as many comments and views as this thread has got in a short time. That is what I wanted,people opinions! I value them all!!!!! Thank you!!!!!
Signing out.

Really can't see why anyone would turn down an opportunity like that. Its not like you have to shoot an elk when you're there. Might make a new friend in the process.

YOLO!!! :D

Then again, I watch people take 15 minutes to decide what to order for lunch from Subway, so...

I'm calling your brother and going with him. :D Maybe Foolish is a better term ;) I respect your decision but still think your'e nuts. Who's to say that he wouldn't take a liking to you guys and eventually allow the young ones to hunt. I'd think there's a better chance of that happening than anything. Most folks hold a soft spot for seeing youngsters get a good start into hunting and allow them to hunt places most adults cannot.
Holy smokes you've lost your mind!

Bet bishoppa is hunting somewhere near Ennis this weekend. GH, thanks for making my day. Awesome. mtmuley

I realize its a few days old, but Ill chime in a bit.

I can say that when I first started hunting big game I really only had a small block of private ground to hunt. Deer had been seen on the property and I eventually killed one there, but to call it productive would do it disservice.

After hunting that parcel for a couple of years I was introduced to a guy who owned some pretty good hunting property. I really wanted to hunt with him and his friends. Well after a few weekends of helping him clear trails, clean and repair the cabin and other general maintenance he invited me to hunt. That was in 1989. He is now my best friend. Along with his friendship came his family and fraternity brother's friendship and another excellent parcel of private which we built another cabin on. I really do not know where I would be today had none of that happened.

Rifle? I don't necessarily think it is a slam dunk shooting an elk with a rifle. I choose to hunt national forest in Colorado for elk with a rifle because it offers me the best opportunity for the short amount of time I am allowed to hunt. I have probably missed nearly as many as I have killed. Some long range some close. The thrill for me is still there just like when I am drawing my bow on a whitetail.

I agree with others about where do you draw the line? Weapons improved over the years because of a need to be more successful and survive. I relish elk meat and the odds of success are low enough without using primitive weapons. Not that I wouldn't hunt elk with a bow or ML if I ever get the opportunity, but for now its rifle for me.

Back