Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Precarious Health and decisions...

Fullquiver

I'm a brain cancer survivor 20 plus years in fact.. I realize that I am the exception and not the rule.. However it wasn't a fight that left me unscathed.. I have had many health issues to deal with after the fact.. Primarily being severe osteoporosis and many many compression fractures.in my spine...

Now I am staring down the barrel of having spinal surgery done on my already unstable cervical spine.. This is because I have a nerve bundle that's been compromised as a result of a series of compression fractures.. My arm is mostly numb with intermittent severe stabbing pains. I have lost most of my strength in n my right arm and hand..

Two of my sons have paid for me to apply with them and we all drew WY deer tags.. I fear that I won't be well enough to go.. That I will be a hindrance to them going and a stumbling block to their success if I do go.. Besides all of that I have been having continued other serious health problems...

They want me to go as do I but I am torn between the idea of going and being with them on this hunt and great memories or going on this hunt and being a burden for them.. It could be my last chance to go on this kind of hunt with them, I want them to have good memories not bad ones from our time together..

My dad died of cancer in ‘17 I would give anything to sit with him around a camp fire or take a walk with him in the woods.

The least important part of hunting with family is taking an animal. Years from now your sons will have the memories of being with you and won’t care 2 cents about whether you got deer or not.

My dad died of cancer in ‘17 I would give anything to sit with him around a camp fire or take a walk with him in the woods.

The least important part of hunting with family is taking an animal.
This. If hunting is just for meat, we're no longer human. These moments are about family, friends, memories, and the joy of being alive. Life is short. Go.

Fullquiver, I have been on both sides of this. My father and husband are gone but I still remember the last time we hunted together and remember they didn't want to go because they did not want to be a burden. Thank God they did go. Now it is my turn and I also do not want to be a burden, but my children and grandchildren insist that I go. I will and so should you. You will not be a burden, not to them.

Best of luck to you sir

I find it nice that you are mindful of your sons success and in your words, "not being a burden" to them. It would be smart of all of you to really discuss what you feel would be your limitations, and how each of you see the trip playing out. It sounds like they want your company, and I hope you get to go and you all have a wonderful adventure.

Go man and don't think twice. Your presence and support means more to them than you realize. When my dad developed degenerative heart disease and could not go hunting with us anymore, I was devastated really yet I realized why. I just missed him and it took the fun out of hunting for a couple years.

If all you can do is mind the camp, go. Your presence means a whole lot. I know that from my own experience with my dad.

PS: Autocorrect sucks LOL. I had to edit this one because one little letter changed the meaning of what I meant to type.

Last edited:
Go. I wouldn’t trade the memories of the hunting and fishing trips with my dad for an entire wall full of 200” mule deer. I do hunt differently when I’m with him and I’m probably not quite as successful as I’d be alone, but I know our trips are numbered and I’ll never leave him behind as long as he can make the trip.

Your sons have been seeing this affect you and it’s progression for years. They know what they’re getting into. Be honest with them about any limitations and put together a good hunt plan. They set this up and want you to go and have a good time. So go and have a good time.

My Dads more or less wheelchair bound and I’m packing him up and we’re heading to WY for antelope this fall. Believe me - they want you to go. Hope you get out there. Good luck

Your sons wouldn't have invited you if they didn't know what they were getting into. They know more than you give them credit for, and I bet time with you around a campfire with a cup of coffee means a hell of a lot more to them than any buck they might shoot.

My dad isn't a hunter, but a couple of years ago asked me if he could tag along on a hunt to Wyoming just to camp and hang out with my buddy and his dad. My dad is seeing the effects of agent orange from 2 tours in Viet Nam, so I don't know how many more trips I'll have with him, but his hug and congrats was worth way more than anything I could possibly think of when I shot my buck.

Your sons know what they're getting into bringing you along and that's more important to them than anything else. Share a campfire with them or eggs and coffee in the morning and enjoy your time with them. I know I will the next time I can get my dad out there with me. The memories made are worth far more than the meat.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back