Precarious Health and decisions...

I'm a brain cancer survivor 20 plus years in fact.. I realize that I am the exception and not the rule.. However it wasn't a fight that left me unscathed.. I have had many health issues to deal with after the fact.. Primarily being severe osteoporosis and many many compression fractures.in my spine...

Now I am staring down the barrel of having spinal surgery done on my already unstable cervical spine.. This is because I have a nerve bundle that's been compromised as a result of a series of compression fractures.. My arm is mostly numb with intermittent severe stabbing pains. I have lost most of my strength in n my right arm and hand..

Two of my sons have paid for me to apply with them and we all drew WY deer tags.. I fear that I won't be well enough to go.. That I will be a hindrance to them going and a stumbling block to their success if I do go.. Besides all of that I have been having continued other serious health problems...

They want me to go as do I but I am torn between the idea of going and being with them on this hunt and great memories or going on this hunt and being a burden for them.. It could be my last chance to go on this kind of hunt with them, I want them to have good memories not bad ones from our time together..

Go. Your sons will always cherish the extra time with you. I was thankful I got a few last trips in with my dad before he was too ill to be outdoors and then he passed. I don’t have any memory of what we did or did not catch that last trip - but a memory of him and my son in the boat laughing as we were drench to the bone in a unexpected rainstorm that would have made Noah jealous is indelibably inked in my memory.

Go! As a son who routinely hunts with his 74 year old father (this year hopefully coues/javalina in Arizona!) I've never let dad going about things a little slower stop me from having a good time. I love the memories I've made with him over the last few years. I wouldn't trade it for anything and I'm sure your boys will feel the same way.

If you are physically able then go. As a son trust me I would rather my father burden my hunt rather than stay home. This is definitely a time when the harvest is taking a backseat to the other great things hunting offers. Take advantage of those offerings. Best of luck!
For sure. When I take my Dad, I just know that I might have to do a little more work than normal but always worth it. I kind feel like it just a payback for all the stuff he did for me when I was younger.
So go with your sons they if they did not want you to go they wouldn't ask.

Let us all know how the hunt went when you return this fall!

I'm a brain cancer survivor 20 plus years in fact.. I realize that I am the exception and not the rule.. However it wasn't a fight that left me unscathed.. I have had many health issues to deal with after the fact.. Primarily being severe osteoporosis and many many compression fractures.in my spine...

Now I am staring down the barrel of having spinal surgery done on my already unstable cervical spine.. This is because I have a nerve bundle that's been compromised as a result of a series of compression fractures.. My arm is mostly numb with intermittent severe stabbing pains. I have lost most of my strength in n my right arm and hand..

Two of my sons have paid for me to apply with them and we all drew WY deer tags.. I fear that I won't be well enough to go.. That I will be a hindrance to them going and a stumbling block to their success if I do go.. Besides all of that I have been having continued other serious health problems...

They want me to go as do I but I am torn between the idea of going and being with them on this hunt and great memories or going on this hunt and being a burden for them.. It could be my last chance to go on this kind of hunt with them, I want them to have good memories not bad ones from our time together..

A couple of things- 1) Have you seen an orthospinologist? 2) Daughter number two is going onto being an eleven year brain cancer survivor. She has some limitied functions in her gray matter (as she calls it) 3) And appears the votes are in as far as your boys wanting you to go, so please go. Wish you the best! Post pics.

If you can do it physically you need to go, for both your sons and yourself. Memories and family are two things you cannot get back. You will not be a burden to your sons - they want you there!

A couple of things- 1) Have you seen an orthospinologist? 2) Daughter number two is going onto being an eleven year brain cancer survivor. She has some limitied functions in her gray matter (as she calls it) 3) And appears the votes are in as far as your boys wanting you to go, so please go. Wish you the best! Post pics.
I am seeing a spinal specific neurosurgeon. Congratulations to you and your daughter on 11 years and I can certainly relate to the grey matter issues.. My surgery is scheduled for Monday.. So hopefully I will have enough time to recover..

Everything changed, my personality, my identity I lost north of 20 points off from my IQ.. Math even advanced calculus in college was a pleasure, now I struggle to balance my checkbook..

Reviving an old thread.. I had asked if it was the right thing to do to go hunting in WY with my sons.. Well we are out hunting this week.. I went with them and watched my 2nd oldest shoot his first mule deer buck. I shot a nice 4x4 (btw first mule deer in 27 years). imagejpeg_0_02.jpg

Very glad I went..

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back