Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Post your Hobbys (other then hunting) just for fun

Yep. That's the reason why I make sure to show up to the local cycling club meetings when trails are being discussed.

i've thought about that too - effecting change from within if that's what you wanna see.

but then there's the cost thing, yeah mtb is a one and done cost generally, but that's still hunting money that can accrue interest :D

i do miss it, but not enough to buy back in, plus i have my road bike

i've even had an argument recently with one of my avid mtb friends about, literally, his desire to just get more trails on the landscape.

and of course the constant rant of "mtb clubs really do more benefit for trail maintenance than literally any other user group, so we deserve to be able to take our bikes anywhere" puhlease

i just plea with my mtb friends, can't places be wild for the goddamn sake of being wild? the mentality of the mtb community practically mirrors the extraction/energy/solar industry in my mind; "the landscape is no good unless i can rip downhill enduro turns brah"

Beekeeping and writing. One time they converged:

Havok Journal beekeeping story

_kKFRWeBjrpChVo9Yei-zrzgYvPQVGUm05TS8A_wfGoIRq5GeuedNT5xKym89du80u3LdS_XZ9po8D1Io7nvY0RT8xT3rf-rUmOxGIdkLb7Kt5wNLNlNdJb-mt241sRl-EC-8UwjtMo6pXhAKS2aNTPnypOd7Q34tgD3Fm3BMKiIYnd3t3zom6OwET780kqhHLJA19zmxnSYcxxk0nLtTNbzb1E75GApbOJOirwv8PU8ATZ8y7mHqhgi6-7C00gYQk-I0Ez3OIHaPYeE3rCl9LuEUXCpj_yLYt1qUchUG3H0JFIE-iuHuTWaTsUlX8ilAYVFVNF-W9q-jfH2S4W2ULvzL7gCZYNEhS8FEOgVwtnCeaq6DMvA_5nJqCnqF5wDE5Y9hQMY2FSABdttE95f_jChNtz8aRTr8Rw1IcwXN6Tkp9Bdg5S78msAhz5pprnxWW4bx7EUJOJLmMt6MEziEXz_LPTQjuW6r0HD1FYKb3qdqpFTb10BKJpGSStt-9YnNIkfj3OAe8f_oqcMmAMcoWpCnKB5vE1qcV2-ojBIYRahTD-qZP532nVdrjofFg-L7r1VBqLfC2TwOIU9asWyGJuI7pfRHeIzlGr74dIABXLo8kqA6s1w64v-dmD_G2QcDvxkj_ogzZxlRIlq7zmAIN2IB1zUizdnvSrvoT3UKCPnYQDM9p5m-dL97zuh_AM=w1087-h816-no

Beekeeping and writing. One time they converged:

Havok Journal beekeeping story

_kKFRWeBjrpChVo9Yei-zrzgYvPQVGUm05TS8A_wfGoIRq5GeuedNT5xKym89du80u3LdS_XZ9po8D1Io7nvY0RT8xT3rf-rUmOxGIdkLb7Kt5wNLNlNdJb-mt241sRl-EC-8UwjtMo6pXhAKS2aNTPnypOd7Q34tgD3Fm3BMKiIYnd3t3zom6OwET780kqhHLJA19zmxnSYcxxk0nLtTNbzb1E75GApbOJOirwv8PU8ATZ8y7mHqhgi6-7C00gYQk-I0Ez3OIHaPYeE3rCl9LuEUXCpj_yLYt1qUchUG3H0JFIE-iuHuTWaTsUlX8ilAYVFVNF-W9q-jfH2S4W2ULvzL7gCZYNEhS8FEOgVwtnCeaq6DMvA_5nJqCnqF5wDE5Y9hQMY2FSABdttE95f_jChNtz8aRTr8Rw1IcwXN6Tkp9Bdg5S78msAhz5pprnxWW4bx7EUJOJLmMt6MEziEXz_LPTQjuW6r0HD1FYKb3qdqpFTb10BKJpGSStt-9YnNIkfj3OAe8f_oqcMmAMcoWpCnKB5vE1qcV2-ojBIYRahTD-qZP532nVdrjofFg-L7r1VBqLfC2TwOIU9asWyGJuI7pfRHeIzlGr74dIABXLo8kqA6s1w64v-dmD_G2QcDvxkj_ogzZxlRIlq7zmAIN2IB1zUizdnvSrvoT3UKCPnYQDM9p5m-dL97zuh_AM=w1087-h816-no

i've been thinking about bee keeping a fair amount this past year. i'd like to get into it. but first i need to not live in a rented condo

my wife just rolls her eyes

like snowboarding i've given up on mountain biking too. i struggle with a community that seemingly for the most part desires to put trails on every square inch of the landscape and wants their bikes in wilderness. and it's also kinda turned into a shit show in CO
Yep. That's the reason why I make sure to show up to the local cycling club meetings when trails are being discussed.

Im currently dealing with one of these moral conundrums myself.
The local mtb club, who’s trails I’ve definitely enjoyed riding for free over the past few years recently referred to my favorite squirrel/deer hunting spot as an “underutilized piece of IDNR property” 😞

Im currently dealing with one of these moral conundrums myself.
The local mtb club, who’s trails I’ve definitely enjoyed riding for free over the past few years recently referred to my favorite squirrel/deer hunting spot as an “underutilized piece of IDNR property” 😞

Staying home is the best way not to be heard. Offer to take some board members out squirrel hunting. It will at least make them think about other users even if they decline.

In my younger years, I played various sports into my early forties. I ultimately gave up basketball so that an injury wouldn't cut short my days as a hunter.

The last few years, I have lifted weights on a pretty regular basis. It is an athletic endeavor that is still doable.

Another hobby is really an offshoot from hunting. I have found I really enjoy messing around with horses. They can both fill your days and empty your wallet.

My Dad has been in to model railroading for decades. Moving and analysis paralysis have kept him from ever getting a layout close to finished. He’s getting to the point where he needs a good bit of help to get stuff done. So, during the pandemic I dug about two dozen plastic model kits out of their attic and started building . . . not exactly works of art, but at least it will help Dad get closer to a finished project. This is my best work so far.

66B38134-FE80-41D5-BC38-D1A0D3C64593.jpeg

As for me, road biking, fishing, cooking, and growing stuff are all enjoyable when time allows. Georgia’s got nothin on me - some Wisconsin peaches . . .

E7AFAFEB-2FE5-4C2A-BAA7-D5367C26C860.jpeg

Last edited:
Spring/Summer/Fall my life seems to revolve around food and procuring food. Beside's hunting/fishing my wife and I have a very large garden, 10 laying hens, 5 ewes (8 lambs this year), raise 2 steers each year, plus 4 feeder pigs. Almost all is slaughtered and butchered at home (subbed out the steers), so I cut a lot of meat, make a lot of sausage, and generally stuff freezers. We also are in the midst of canning season - put up 40+ pints of blackberry jamb and 20 + pints of peach butter this weekend. On deck this week is another 10 pounds of peaches, and 35 pounds of tomatoes to turn into sauce. Probably try and get the remainder of our beans turned into Dilly Beans this weekend.

During the winter I build stuff, both from metal and wood. Last project from this summer was a rebuild/redesign of the DIY drawers in the bed of my pick-up. It's not done, by any stretch of the word, but serviceable for hunting season. Next on the list is a basement remodel time/funds depending.

Beside's that, we have a toddler that is mostly free-range, but still time consuming in a good way. He's a big fan of his dad, so he gets thrown into the backpack and carried along for most things (not welding though, my wife says that would be bad.)

Run a golf league that I conveniently finish up the second week of August each year. Course is city owned so I do alot of "volunteer" work there to try and keep it looking the best we can on limited funds.
Recently started trying to get into camera hunting which I think will become a big passion. Im really enjoying it.

Lots of other hobbies which I have been slowly weening off of. My wife says I have to many. 😂 Just listed the ones I dont think will get weened off ever.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back