Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Post your Hobbys (other then hunting) just for fun

I started playing the guitar about 30 years ago, but played infrequently for a long time. Then, about a year and a half ago, I made a resolution to play more and I've been playing every chance I can, since. I'm having alot of fun with it. This Fall, I "built" this guitar from a kit. It's really more assembly and basic wood working, than guitar building, but I learned a ton about guitars in the process and the end result is pretty good. Covid times are good times to play a musical instrument...IMG_2898.jpg

My main hobby is SCUBA diving (with some occasional free diving thrown in). My wife and I are both Divemasters, and it is a great hobby to do together. In fact, we just lead our first dives as professionals this past weekend on the Mendocino coast.

with sea lions.jpg

I also enjoy some amount of hunting underwater. Got a couple of spear guns this summer and have had a little success.
1595210874424.jpg

my latest hobby is finding all the unique ways to use a pellet grill besides just smoking the crap out of meat

i've basically given up on snowboarding at this point in life - such a shit show in this state. that money is better used on hunting anyway.

i road bike a fair amount. i love it.

like snowboarding i've given up on mountain biking too. i struggle with a community that seemingly for the most part desires to put trails on every square inch of the landscape and wants their bikes in wilderness. and it's also kinda turned into a shit show in CO

other than that it's mostly fly fishing, backpacking, trail running and peak bagging - what everyone else does in CO i guess

Way too many to count.

I've had a saltwater reef tank for nearly 20 years. It was amazing, now it is mainly just neglected. Here is a picture from it's glory days.

7102124.jpg

Tank size for perspective my wife and 2 of my nieces inside it. It is 122" long X 28" tall X 28" wide. 415 gallons.

8654448.jpg

Raised baby cardinalfish and clownfish for a while as a part of the hobby, that was pretty rewarding.

batch__2_-_full_shot2.jpg

clowns_batch2.jpg

Did the scuba diving and snorkeling pretty intensively for a few years but living so far from anything worth diving on has kept us from getting to enjoy it as much as we would like. Our trip to Fiji was the highlight of that hobby.

moorish%20idols.jpg

snorkeling%2015.jpg

Been riding ATVs and Dirt bikes for a few years now. Just picked up a Husqvarna FE 501 and am trying to improve my skills to be able to do the bike some justice.

Started keeping bees last summer. That has been enjoyable to learn and develop. About to harvest some honey in the next few weeks.

Running is another one I guess now. Qualified for and ran the Boston Marathon in 2018. Ran a 50 mile trail race somewhere in there.

Not enough time in the day for my hobbies let alone work!

As a kid the only hunting I did was dove once a year and we would go fishing a couple times a year. I always wanted to hunt and fish more but my dad was fading out of it (lack of time and money). I never had the opportunity to get into it more when I got older. In highschool I got into riding quads with buddies and by the time I graduated I got into racing motocross. I did it through college and enjoyed every minute of it. It got really expensive as I got more competitive and eventually got tired of constantly throwing money at parts to keep running. I sold my race bike and used the money to buy a fishing boat in cash, and thats about the time I started getting more serious into hunting and fishing again.289859_339954542686292_703704664_o.jpg177127_491445560870522_2123773713_o.jpg332655_310715778943502_1959282401_o.jpg1936418_101586653189750_2555463_n.jpg

i've given up on mountain biking too. i struggle with a community that seemingly for the most part desires to put trails on every square inch of the landscape and wants their bikes in wilderness. and it's also kinda turned into a shit show in CO

I feel ya. I love mountain biking but also struggle with the community. The whole "trails everywhere at any cost has really gotten to me." This past turkey season I came upon an illegal trail adjacent to an entire network of trails. I've gotten more into biking as an exploratory thing. Riding obscure dirt roads, bikepacking, etc. The Rad singletrack doesn't really do it for me anymore, especially with all the RAD-Bros. Other than that I'm a fairly typical Coloradoan...Fishing, backpacking, hiking, skiing (more of the backcountry variety), tinkering with guns to make them shoot the same, convincing myself I need all sorts of new gear for every season, etc.

I started playing the guitar about 30 years ago, but played infrequently for a long time. Then, about a year and a half ago, I made a resolution to play more and I've been playing every chance I can, since. I'm having alot of fun with it. This Fall, I "built" this guitar from a kit. It's really more assembly and basic wood working, than guitar building, but I learned a ton about guitars in the process and the end result is pretty good. Covid times are good times to play a musical instrument...View attachment 151615
Where did you get the kit from? I have been looking at building a guitar too.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back