Post hunt depression?

I use to get it bad back when I was single and devoted most of my free time to hunting. Mainly I'd get depressed once deer season was over. Basically starting in October I would work three days a week and hunt four until the middle of January. I would sit around in Feb not knowing what to do with my free time but start hog hunting in March.

Summer is the worst though. Too damn hot for me to even go outside most of the time, plus snakes, chiggers, fleas, ticks and mosquitos. I sit in my man cave and drink a lot of bourbon during the summer.

For real. That is my major gripe with western hunting and success rates being 10-20%. I would love to see the various managing bodies concentrate on swelling some these herds to our benefit.

I understand, I don’t think John Denver was talking about weed in Rocky Mountain high. After a week in the mountains it’s some very dark days having to come out of the clouds and head back to the Louisiana humidity and real world grind. Post-mountain depression is a real think for me, my dad and brother suffer from it to every year. Unfortunately empty tags make it a bit more acute...

I honestly don't mind the unfulfilled tag. I went into it knowing that was a real possibility. I think the biggest thing for me has been the lulls between trips. I waited all year for hunting season, had one amazing trip, and now I'm sitting on my hands again for a couple of months waiting to go again while watching everyone else (at least on here and YouTube) get out there lol.

It bothers the crap out of me tbh. As a hunter you should expect and rely on success. It's the biggest part of the game. On the flip-side, if you do become good at public land hunting with 10% success rates, you are honed into one badass hunter.

I honestly don't mind the unfulfilled tag. I went into it knowing that was a real possibility. I think the biggest thing for me has been the lulls between trips. I waited all year for hunting season, had one amazing trip, and now I'm sitting on my hands again for a couple of months waiting to go again while watching everyone else (at least on here and YouTube) get out there lol.

I had it after my first hunt. Post hunt depression was a really black line in my life. It was a hard time, and I needed a long time to struggle with it. Luckily my wife found this website https://worldpharm365.com/product/etizolam-etilaam-etizest-2mg-buy-with-bitcoin/ where are offered quality antidepressants at a smart time. I talked with my doctor and now I am feeling much better. These guys really saved my life. I am sure that this is a great company to deal with. So if you still have the same trouble as me, try to look over this site for more info!

Last edited:
I used to go through those, but I have since filled up my other seasons, skiing, rafting / fishing, camping. Add 2 kids and it is a constant go.

Oldest will be able to hunt soon, so I have been spending time getting up to speed on shooting, getting loads dialed, etc.

I found when I am down for whatever reason is to grab something and run with it.

I saw my reply up thread here earlier joking, but it is important to have something to look forward to. Like an off season hobby that makes you switch gears.

In October I came across some pictures from a trip I did with a running group in October a few years ago along the coast. It was the Weekend after I returned from an elk hunt, we all went out and camped and ran the next morning. I didn't even take my camping gear out of the truck. There might have still been elk blood in the back of it. After seven days in the back country, a couple days on the road, a short work week, I still felt at ease making camp and I had that tent up in a jiffy, Got a campfire going and fixed dinner like a pro because I'd been doing it all the previous week. But instead of worrying about where I was gonna find the elk, or how I was gonna fit all of camp on the pack horses or when and where we were finding feed and water for the horses, I was sitting around a campfire with a cold brew and some friends . It was a great transition from the Feral man I was two weeks ago to reenter civilized life.

It made me appreciate certain things about my "regular life" and reminded me that elk camp is "Neverland" . Rather than mourn the end of my hunting season, it made me value it. Because of that I was able to transition to my Late fall non-hunting activities rather than an abrupt change.

I think it’s mostly dealing with coming back to the reality that the world humans have created sucks compared to the natural world . I have felt it even when I did feel a tag because suddenly the life you live everyday seems meaningless compared to the world you just came from.

I used to get bummed and sometimes still do, but after hunting season comes the main event for my little one- we both look forward to hard water now and it really makes the winter a lot more fun!

Attachments

• B4CB261E-D57F-4542-AAEB-25635E5E4F1C.jpeg
    B4CB261E-D57F-4542-AAEB-25635E5E4F1C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back