Post hunt depression?

Tiredofthebickering

Anyone else going through this? Dad and I had our Idaho hunt in mid/late September that was a ton of fun even though we can home empty handed. We haven't been able to get out since due to life/work obligations and the annoyingly hot weather down here in south Florida (stay tuned for the "I'm moving" thread, lol, but seriously possible in the next 12-24 months). And I likely won't be able to get out until the weekend after Thanksgiving. I can't bring myself to get caught up on Randy's YouTube channel, and even reading the forum is almost too much right now because it emphasizes how annoying my current situation is. Anyone else dealing with this??

I too, could not look at OnX, for 1 week after my hunt. I'm back in deep however because of a leftover tag I nabbed.

Anyone else going through this? Dad and I had our Idaho hunt in mid/late September that was a ton of fun even though we can home empty handed. We haven't been able to get out since due to life/work obligations and the annoyingly hot weather down here in south Florida (stay tuned for the "I'm moving" thread, lol, but seriously possible in the next 12-24 months). And I likely won't be able to get out until the weekend after Thanksgiving. I can't bring myself to get caught up on Randy's YouTube channel, and even reading the forum is almost too much right now because it emphasizes how annoying my current situation is. Anyone else dealing with this??

Um... bro draw supplement for AK came out last week, several CO outfitters started taking reservations, tis the time for planning.

Seriously though... I feel you.

Not exactly your scenario, but, have “eaten” elk tags several times...... because I/we passed on an easy, early season kill, hoping for the “big one”! However, it’s not very long before looking forward to the next hunting season! memtb

Not for me, really .

There's always a season here in MT, and I'm either prepping or planning for it as I wrap up another hunt. Then there are designations to go that you can scratch the itch. The focus is always forward. The hunts I look back on are not in a sense of melancholy, but bright reflection. Maybe I put them on the schedule again.

Don't forget in FL, you have those tree chickens you can chase year round. Also the pythons. There's always something to chase.

Um... bro draw supplement for AK came out last week, several CO outfitters started taking reservations, tis the time for planning.

Seriously though... I feel you.

lol I don't even want to plan, how bad is that??

Actually, we're kind of stuck on the planning at the moment due to a potential opportunity. We have the points to likely draw the MT combo tax next year and that is the overall plan. Seems like a solid thing to start planning for right? HOWEVER, the parents/extended family of a good friend have a bunch of land up there (thousands of acres) and they have offered to let us hunt the property(s). Which is wonderful but it stalls our planning until we know for sure that the parents/extended family have approved the offer or not.

I think part of it as well is that I know the hunt quality for the remainder of my season is going to be very hit or miss. I'm trying new areas in FL trying to get away from the heat and find larger deer populations and I'm going in blind in a couple scenarios. Plus that means that a few of my hunts aren't until January/February.

That's hunting. Ups and downs, anticipation and regret. Not trying to belittle your feelings, I get them too. Sometimes after a successful hunt if it is the end of the season and I won't be able to hunt anything for many months. But something always comes along to grab my attention and then I can get recharged on hunting excitement.

Yes. I have a hunt coming up this next weekend at home, but I'm depressed about having to wait until next year for another trip to the western states. Planning is not helpful for me because I look at onX and Google Earth too much and really want to step foot there!

This is my first year living out west and I used to get in back east in PA with my western trips and deer season but man there's so many seasons and opportunities I don't think I'll be getting depressed ha!

I feel it too.

My well meaning girlfriend just Crockpotted my last Elk Loin. CROCK POT! Is nothing sacred?

It is going to be real lean here through February so it is not like a late season meat tag is an option.

Yes. I have a hunt coming up this next weekend at home, but I'm depressed about having to wait until next year for another trip to the western states. Planning is not helpful for me because I look at onX and Google Earth too much and really want to step foot there!
I know the feeling! Same thing happens to me contemplated the move out west last year to scratch the itch but all my family is out here and of all the things I do spending time with them is number one so me and the boss(my wife) decided to stay put

Can't say I commiserate. I'm as excited for the next year of hunting as I've ever been, but I've got city league basketball coming up, lots of family time, winter hikes, shooting practice, a couple rabbit hunts, some hand-load tinkering, and by then it'll be time for spring bear.

Can't say I commiserate. I'm as excited for the next year of hunting as I've ever been, but I've got city league basketball coming up, lots of family time, winter hikes, shooting practice, a couple rabbit hunts, some hand-load tinkering, and by then it'll be time for spring bear.

I think that's my biggest struggle. We have one little family trip for the birthday of youngest this weekend, and then nothing. Just work, life, etc. Even my remaining hunts aren't nailed down on dates and will likely be 1 - 2 days. I can't help but think of the empty months ahead before I really get to have a decent hunt again.

I understand, I don’t think John Denver was talking about weed in Rocky Mountain high. After a week in the mountains it’s some very dark days having to come out of the clouds and head back to the Louisiana humidity and real world grind. Post-mountain depression is a real think for me, my dad and brother suffer from it to every year. Unfortunately empty tags make it a bit more acute...

Back