Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Polling: What state hates the fat, rich, nonresident big game hunter most? (this is for fun, guys and gals)

What state hates NONRESIDENT BIG GAME hunters the most?

• Idaho

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • Montana

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Utah

Votes: 43 19.4%
  • Nevada

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • New Mexico

Votes: 60 27.0%
  • Colorado

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Arizona

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Iowa :)

Votes: 14 6.3%

• Total voters
But the government is listening to the anti hunting lobbyist and activist groups spreading misinformation.
Not quite the same here (sorry this is going off the thread topic) but we have a jerk called Chris Packham, he produces wildlife/countryside programs for the BBC, in his spare time he spreads miss-information, last year he caused massive problems by going down the legal route and temporarily halted us shooting corvids/pigeons, initially the Government ran scared, but then the Government worked out a way around his legal challenge, but he is trying again as we speak, he thinks he his the new David Attenborough.

16B, 22 is 39% with a rifle
16C is 21%
15 is 35% for archery

I doubt many NM residents “go their whole lives” unable to hunt the Gila.

At 16% NM is fairly generous. It’s just a shame that the guided pool soaks up 10% of that 16% allocation and NMGF doesn’t even get a higher fee for hunters in that pool.
Hes correct some nm.residents can go without ever hunting the gila.if they are going thru the draw. It's a true lottery system and the high demand 16's are less than 5% draw odds and smoke poles are.around 1-3% odds so some may never draw a tag

North Dakota gives UP TO 1% of deer tags to NR.....0% of Pronghorn, 0% of Moose, 0% of elk, and a ghost of a chance at one sheep tag for $100 non-refundable.

I just applied for my western ND mule deer tag, I’ve been trying since 2003. 🤞🏻

If you think that is anti- NR, you should see the ridiculous rules for bird hunters, both upland and waterfowl.

Hes correct some nm.residents can go without ever hunting the gila.if they are going thru the draw. It's a true lottery system and the high demand 16's are less than 5% draw odds and smoke poles are.around 1-3% odds so some may never draw a tag

I quoted accurate draw odds that were calculated correctly. Yes, there are top tier units that are harder to draw than the units I quoted. There is no legitimate reason for a NM resident to complain that they can’t draw the best hunt in the state. That isn’t guaranteed to anyone in any state. The are bulk elk tags in NM with near 100% draw odds for residents, and they get all the cow tags. The only thing a NM resident has to complain about is that life isn’t perfect.

Maine Moose is pretty tough too for a non-res.

For 2019
Non-Resident Applicants: 18,352
  Non-Resident Permits Issued: 224
  Non-Resident Selection Rate: 1.2% (~1 permit for every 82 applicants)

It may sound like I’m being sarcastic, but can someone explain to me why Oregon is considered to be a bad state for Non-Res applications?

I’m burning my deer points there this year on the hunt I wanted and am considering whether or not I want to continue applying there annually and building antelope/elk points. I know the odds are long for those two.

But I like that they offer general deer/elk on the coast. So if I’m already applying for other things there and need a back up tag to hunt that season I can always pick one up. I’m leaning towards sticking with Oregon because of the tag I’ll be hunting this season, the opportunity for general tags, and the sheep app for 8 bucks.

I voted New Mexico on count of the minuscule self guided non-resident quotas.

I am not a fan of South Dakota’s non-resident trapping rules either. When I spend my money on an out of State trapping adventure it won’t be in South Dakota. Don’t get me started on Minnesota in that regard...

Northern PA hunters would possibly three S a new Yorker if they thought the could get away with it. 😁
Got to differentiate between hunters coming from Metropolitan NY and those from rural Upstate. Lots of cross state line love between the hunters in Northern PA and those in the Southern Tier of Upstate NY

I voted New Mexico on count of the minuscule self guided non-resident quotas.

I am not a fan of South Dakota’s non-resident trapping rules either. When I spend my money on an out of State trapping adventure it won’t be in South Dakota. Don’t get me started on Minnesota in that regard...
SD's nonresident furbearer license is expensive, especially with today's fur market. I'm thankful I am a resident in that regard.

It may sound like I’m being sarcastic, but can someone explain to me why Oregon is considered to be a bad state for Non-Res applications?

I’m burning my deer points there this year on the hunt I wanted and am considering whether or not I want to continue applying there annually and building antelope/elk points. I know the odds are long for those two.

But I like that they offer general deer/elk on the coast. So if I’m already applying for other things there and need a back up tag to hunt that season I can always pick one up. I’m leaning towards sticking with Oregon because of the tag I’ll be hunting this season, the opportunity for general tags, and the sheep app for 8 bucks.
Our non resident tag allocation is less than 5%, our mule deer herds have tanked, there’s currently a war on elk going on, which have been doing pretty well up until now, and you will wait 20 years for an antelope tag of similar quality to one you could draw in two in Wyoming. Other than that, Oregon is awesome. 😀

As a Californian who has hunted 6 other states in my life, I've found it interesting how the residents treated us.

Wyoming: thought we were locals. Some thought we were outfitters.
Idaho: Still had bumper stickers saying "go back to California"
Nevada: "what kinda horses you packin' there?"
Oregon: "Damn Nice camp setup. You got that bull where?"
New Mexico: "'Chu did alrighht Mang.....Hey my cousin has a landowner permit if you wanna buy one."
Colorado (Eastern): "don't see California plates this far east of Denver!"

Most of the places I go I can relate to the locals and I can fit in to any Agricultural community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back