Polling: What state hates the fat, rich, nonresident big game hunter most? (this is for fun, guys and gals)

What state hates NONRESIDENT BIG GAME hunters the most?

• Idaho

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • Montana

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Utah

Votes: 43 19.4%
  • Nevada

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • New Mexico

Votes: 60 27.0%
  • Colorado

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Arizona

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Iowa :)

Votes: 14 6.3%

• Total voters
Pssh! The one State of all States, Alaska. Need a guide simply to look the wildlife! Wyoming just commercialized our Wilderness for their own outfitter greased political pocket interest.

Nix ID and CO off the list... They've diversified since their dark alley Californication escapades reached the national spotlight.
NY observed the pimp potential and are moving in for a piece of the... Apple.

NV is open arms. Figure you pay before you crap out...

Montana aims to please so long as if you're flag flies Blue, you leave.

Iowa? BrentD may require one to shoot in high style - and if you want to shoot a woof, well - if they had 'em Iowa might say, "Get off my lawn".

UT if you've been baptized and plan a trip to the eternal "Zion" you may buy your way in otherwise, this here is Mormon land and feds should go fly a kite in some other State.

NM & AZ? Meh, my witticisms are petering out... Time for bed.

Well most of the states in my country don't allow any public land hunting, one does but only to state residents. You guys don't have it that bad.

There's only 3 states that allow it for anyone.
That's funny, in that case you all, and you included mate don't have it that bad, we don't have ANY public land hunting and most of the general public hate us hunters!
Cheers!
Richard
ps, I ain't fat, I ain't rich but I am a non resident....alien :ROFLMAO:

People seem to be answering the question based on applications and quotas, etc. But which state has residents with the most actual hatred towards NRs? Do NM folks really hate NRs for their lowly 6%? I'd guess folks from Utah (due to the insular culture) or Colorado (because NRs are primarily responsible for the crowding) actually hate the NRs.
Lies we love NR, we want so smother them into our bosom with our right hand while we lift their wallet with our left.

WY just had a bill to limit NR to 10%, a few years ago there was a push to let NR have 50% of all tags in CO.

Im a CO resident who for 3 seasons as a NR, other than paying more there is no difference in experience, in fact if you pay attention there are units where it’s easier to get a tag as a NR than a R even in the big three.

From a social perspective, I didn't seen any "Welcome Hunters" signs rolled out when I hunted California. Also, the many backpackers I encountered there were cordial, but I think they were half-scared I would shoot them if they weren't polite. Just a totally different type of people for the most part.

I continue to push for a renaming - Greater Dakota (fka North) and the Lesser Dakota (fka South) - hasn't seemed to catch on so far - I blame the Lessers. :)
Lesser Dakota? Humbug! It's the new Florida for Golden Aged Doyen and Doyennes. Time to sit y'er keister on the bench, await the next fly-by to unload! Welcome 62+ non-res and find your resident address while visiting.
Lesser Dakota = GAD Land. Golden Arms Dakota.

I don’t know how anybody could say NM. You can buy your way into almost any hunt you want with landowner tags and if you have the money for an outfitter increase your draw odds greatly. I’m not sure what more they could do to cater to rich NR’s, regardless of waist size.
New Mexico has the second lowest allocation of Resident licenses (behind Wyoming)
A NM resident without money could go their entire lives and never elk hunt the Gila. Anybody with money can hunt it over and over again.
Other than maybe Utah, nobody does ‘pay to play’ better.

Last edited:
I've tried...but my brain keeps twisting the poll question around to which state loves rich, fat, non resident hunters.

I would seriously say Iowa would be in the running but that looks like it could be changing this year. If some of these crap bills go through then we'll go to just fully hating the average joe DIY hunter.

I would seriously say Iowa would be in the running but that looks like it could be changing this year. If some of these crap bills go through then we'll go to just fully hating the average joe DIY hunter.
What're they proposing? I'd be tempted to go deer hunting with my family again if it didn't cost $600 to shoot a whitetail. Wish they'd adopt an Iowa Native license like Montana has.

I don’t know how anybody could say NM. You can buy your way into almost any hunt you want with landowner tags and if you have the money for an outfitter increase your draw odds greatly. I’m not sure what more they could do to cater to rich NR’s, regardless of waist size.
New Mexico has the second lowest allocation of Resident licenses (behind Wyoming)
A NM resident without money could go their entire lives and never elk hunt the Gila. Anybody with money can hunt it over and over again.
Other than maybe Utah, nobody does ‘pay to play’ better.

16B, 22 is 39% with a rifle
16C is 21%
15 is 35% for archery

I doubt many NM residents “go their whole lives” unable to hunt the Gila.

At 16% NM is fairly generous. It’s just a shame that the guided pool soaks up 10% of that 16% allocation and NMGF doesn’t even get a higher fee for hunters in that pool.

16B, 22 is 39% with a rifle
16C is 21%
15 is 35% for archery

I doubt many NM residents “go their whole lives” unable to hunt the Gila.

At 16% NM is fairly generous. It’s just a shame that the guided pool soaks up 10% of that 16% allocation and NMGF doesn’t even get a higher fee for hunters in that pool.
The outfitter pool is technically 63% of that 16% allocation. 🤓

The outfitter pool is technically 63% of that 16% allocation. 🤓

I should have said, 10 of the 16% allocation. I didn’t want to do the match to find out the percent of the percent. Everyone knew what I meant.

At 16% NM is fairly generous. It’s just a shame that the guided pool soaks up 10% of that 16% allocation
Yeah, that’s kind of my point... favoring rich non residents. And if that doesn’t work out, they can just buy a landowner tag.

also, until this year NR tags were rounded up, making Resident percentages lower than 84%.

What're they proposing? I'd be tempted to go deer hunting with my family again if it didn't cost $600 to shoot a whitetail. Wish they'd adopt an Iowa Native license like Montana has.

There's multiple bills bouncing around related to the NR. Several would give tags to NR landowners. A couple about giving preference to NR's hunting with outfitters. Best as I can tell right now all proposals pull tags from the NR pool. That will really screw the DIY guy. Waits could go to 7 or more years.

We've always been able to stomp this stuff pretty quickly but it's obvious some out of state big money has really ramped up his effort. Went so far has to hire lobbyist.

WA and CA have to be about the worst. I don't even apply there so it must be bad. Utah pretends to like us but they hate us too.

Back