Poll: Do-it-all freezer fillin' rifle

If you can only have one rifle/caliber, what would it be?

Votes: 39 12.2%
  • .30-06

Votes: 139 43.4%

Votes: 52 16.3%
  • .300 WM

Votes: 52 16.3%
  • 6.5 Creedmore

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • 7mm08 Remington Magnum

Votes: 30 9.4%

• Total voters
Not necessarily the action weight but the barrel that typically goes with it. Just talking off-the-rack rifles, nothing custom, but 308's are typically 22-inch barrels, 30-06 & 300 WMs are more likely to be 24-26 inch barrels. Those longer barrels add mass. I don't include scope mass in my comparisons at that is not a function of the rifle design. What scope you put on along with any other attachments, bipods, slings, etc. is an individuals choice depending on their desire for weight vs added performance & stability. Just my $0.02.
Yeah, I've seen .308s with 22" barrels. Both of the .308s that I've had have had 24" barrels. That's the reason that I compared my .308 to my 7 mm RM which are both off-the-rack rifles that I've done the same modifications to both. And I've seen some .300 WMs with 26" barrels, but rarely a .30-06 with one. 2" off a hunting weight barrel is not a lot of weight, probably around 3 ounces.

You're right, scope scope mass isn't a function of the rifle's design but it does add to the total weight of the rifle which is what you're packing up the mountain. My 9-13" Harris bipod weighs 9 ounces. It has seen a lot of range time on my rifles, but it has never been on the mountain sheep hunting. Actually, I can't ever remember using it on a hunt.

Back when I bought a Montana unlimited unit sheep tag every year and when I hunted Dall sheep in Canada I didn't give a second thought about carrying my almost 10 pound fancy walnut stocked .257 Ackley up the mountains. And it's 6x Leupold scope was completely adequate as the longest shot that I took was 207 yards.

When it comes down to the total weight that you're packing up the mountain, I think one small 20 oz water bottle will weigh more than the weight you are saving from a short action rifle instead of a long action rifle. But then if your rifle is lighter you can carry more water. It's all a matter of choices.

What a great country we live in where we even have the luxury of discussing this topic! I’d take any of those .30s that you have listed. I’ve killed deer and elk with all those and wouldn’t worry to use any of them for the rest of my life.

Why do people pick 30-06? It works but, based on what I've seen, it's objectively worse than any other caliber in terms of energy, ballistics and recoil combined.

Anyway, I picked 300WM because you can pretty much kill anything in NA with it. Is it the best for everything? No, but it works. 308 was a close second.

As much as I love my 270 I would never pick a sub 30cal for my sole forever rifle.

I voted for .300wm. I don't recall if anyone else said it...but I'd hate to only have 1 rifle! When I lived in Texas I got a windfall and felt compelled to buy "one rifle for all things Texas." I wound up with a sweet deal on a Howa 1500 in .25-06. I moved to MT and heard various theories on Elk rifles...namely that they need to start with a "3". I also figured there was a chance of running into grizzlies...so my choice was .300wm. 150's make it ok for mulies and lighten up the recoil. Plenty of larger options too. Good thread...lots of interesting opinions.

I still hunt with a 12 lb ww2 springfield 30-06. Was my grandfather's when he served his time was given to my father then given to me. Got a few more years till my kiddo gets it but oh boy has it killed some critters.

Maybe, but with so many superior options it seems a bit dated.
You are pretty much absolutely correct and in a facts only debate you could win it every time. It is the sentimental factor that makes it so popular and loved. Comments such as my Seeleylakehunter in regards to his grandfather and father, if the round were totally ineffective it would not have the sentimental attachment that it does for some. You brought up the 308 as your second choice. That is another sentimental favorite for many, but I could argue that it too is inferior to the many options available. Personally I own both 30-06s and 308s and enjoy them both. Again many superior options to both but I don't care.

You are pretty much absolutely correct and in a facts only debate you could win it every time. It is the sentimental factor that makes it so popular and loved. Comments such as my Seeleylakehunter in regards to his grandfather and father, if the round were totally ineffective it would not have the sentimental attachment that it does for some. You brought up the 308 as your second choice. That is another sentimental favorite for many, but I could argue that it too is inferior to the many options available. Personally I own both 30-06s and 308s and enjoy them both. Again many superior options to both but I don't care.
That's certainly the best argument I've ever heard for it! Perhaps it's my .270 that makes me feel obligated to argue against it.

That's certainly the best argument I've ever heard for it! Perhaps it's my .270 that makes me feel obligated to argue against it.
I don't own a 270, yet, but yeah I know of more than a few people that have the 270 vs 30-06 thoughts. Personally I would have no issues owning both but in reference to your better options argument, I am finding the 6.8 Western to be an intriguing option for a .277 caliber rifle.

Maybe, but with so many superior options it seems a bit dated.

I know TONS of dudes who shoot a .30-06 and .270 because "that's what dad shot and it's the best cartridge on the face of the earth"... They do it for sentimental value, the same way some people won't admit their truck brand sucks booty holes and keep buying X make because "that's a man's truck!"...

I know TONS of dudes who shoot a .30-06 and .270 because "that's what dad shot and it's the best cartridge on the face of the earth"... They do it for sentimental value, the same way some people won't admit their truck brand sucks booty holes and keep buying X make because "that's a man's truck!"...
Yes that's certainly the best argument for it and it certainly works fine in most cases. Thanks for not mentioning a particular truck brand. I don't know what kind of hell storm that would have caused!

I think I voted for the 308, cant remember. But so long as a cartridge is adequate I could go for it. Was fooling with my 308 watching a movie the other night. Mossberg Patriot wit 22" barrel and 1-4x Denver Redfield scope on it. Reminded me of my old Rem 660 in 308 which was my most liked big game rifle. Wasn't the cartridge I don't think, a number of different cartridges could do the same thing It was the way it balanced in my hand's. Thought about that a bit and went and got out my other Patriot in 243. It also has a 22" barrel and both wood stocked, but it has a 3-9x scope on it. Doesn't balance near as well as the 308. Only difference is the size of the scope's. Didn't weight them and guessing both are close enough to the same it doesn't matter, but the 308 definitely balances better in my hands! I'm guessing both rifle's will go about 7-71/2 lbs, probably closer to 7 1/2 lbs.

Compare the 308 to my 30-06 for carrying in and no contest. The 30-06 is a custom 1903 and has a 2 3/4x Denver Redfield on it and a 24" barrel. Definitely heavier rifle but with the lng action and barrel it just doesn't balance as well. Not bad mind you, just not as well and there's nothing I could do with the 30-06 I couldn't do equally well with the 308. As I recall, that 1903 weight's right at 8 lbs with the scope on it

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back