One gun to do it all .25 sst (Sherman short tactical)

FlatlanderAZ

After some ups and downs with rifle issues last year I decided to do a full build this off-season. I hadn’t decided what cartridge to build for but wanted one gun to do it all.

I have three growing children, a wife who is an occasional hunter and a typical season for us includes everything from 40 lb javelina to burly bull elk.

I knew I would probably only be able to afford one build in my life. So I searched for the perfect caliber. I finally found what I feel together optimum combination with the .25 Sherman Short tactical. At 3200 FPS with 131 gn ACE bullets it’s like a short action .25-06 magnum. The energy is pretty ridiculous all the way out to a thousand with half the drop of the big mags. All of our rifles are very vanilla (.300 wm, 7-08, .270, .243). I wasn’t even thinking of building a wildcat but the research lead me down an unexpected path.

Has anyone else started shooting this cartridge? Any feedback on ACE performance on game?

If anyone is interested here are the rest of the components:
Proof carbon 22" barrel 1:7.5" twist
Defiance Deviant Action
Defiance BDL bottom metal
Manners MCS-CS Stock
Seekins rings
Swarovski X5i
And as soon as I can get paperwork approved I plan to add a SiCo Omega Suppressor

Last edited:
I’ve been looking into the Sherman cartridges, don’t know anything about ACE bullets but will be watching this build as I have a “need“ for a .25 something.

The 131ace is an awesome bullet with excellent terminal performance. You’re on the right track building around this bullet.

I shoot a Sherman and love it, but there is no way I would call a 25 SST a do it all gun. A fun gun yes, but not a do all, especially seeing some states have a min bore diameter on specific species.
I understand the position and it is definitely unconventional to think of a 25 as a go-to for large sized game, but at over 1500 ft/lb at 600 yards, I would say it has all it needs for the situations we hunt.

To produce that energy with just 54" of drop is what really opened my eyes. I know there are other rounds that can produce similar results, but coupled with lower recoil, this became too good to pass up.

The 131ace is an awesome bullet with excellent terminal performance. You’re on the right track building around this bullet.
Scanned their site but am assuming a longer magazine required?....or no, didn't see it mentioned in the OP's specs

When you don’t get a pass thru and have no blood trail you will change your tune.

It’s like a fat girl in fish net stocking, just it can be made doesn’t mean it should be he only wardrobe.
How’d you know I am a chubby chaser?

Are your comments based on field results on game? I’d like to here more anecdotal information about your experience.

Good luck with the build! Can't think of much I wouldn't hunt with one. I get building a rifle for a specific bullet. That said, I'd be a bit leary doing so with only one option in a given bore size. Meaning, there's not much else out there in the 130ish grain range in .257. In say, 6.5 you have more options in that weight range if the one you want to shoot for some reason doesn't shoot well in your rifle.

How’d you know I am a chubby chaser?

Are your comments based on field results on game? I’d like to here more anecdotal information about your experience.
I shot a 25-06 for a lot of years. I ended up selling it because I just wasn’t happy with how it did on a trip out west.

I shot a mule deer buck and doe, along with a antelope buck and doe.

Now it did kill them all and but there was little blood trail. Of the 4, 2 went down right away. No tracking required but zero blood until I gutted them. The other 2 ran a ways over a rise and dropped in a large sage flat. We ended up having to grid that sage to find them as they dropped out of sight. The one was a marginal shot and it went several hundred yards. Only had an occasional drop of blood here and there. The other one we never found a drop.

.25 just isn’t a big entrance hole to allow much blood to escape. The ones that had a pass thru with maybe a 3/4” size exit. It seemed the hair on the animals soaked up a lot of it.

Where I found the gun to shine was when I was using for varmint hunting. It was a blast to shoot all summer long.

Quarter bores have there place and are fun rifles when used right.

I shot a 25-06 for a lot of years. I ended up selling it because I just wasn’t happy with how it did on a trip out west.

I shot a mule deer buck and doe, along with a antelope buck and doe.

Now it did kill them all and but there was little blood trail. Of the 4, 2 went down right away. No tracking required but zero blood until I gutted them. The other 2 ran a ways over a rise and dropped in a large sage flat. We ended up having to grid that sage to find them as they dropped out of sight. The one was a marginal shot and it went several hundred yards. Only had an occasional drop of blood here and there. The other one we never found a drop.

.25 just isn’t a big entrance hole to allow much blood to escape. The ones that had a pass thru with maybe a 3/4” size exit. It seemed the hair on the animals soaked up a lot of it.

Where I found the gun to shine was when I was using for varmint hunting. It was a blast to shoot all summer long.

Quarter bores have there place and are fun rifles when used right.
Do you use your 260AI for the same game/situations now?

Do you use your 260AI for the same game/situations now?
That is the plan for deer and antelope.

Before we start going down a rabbit hole of if the .007 makes a bit of difference it doesn’t. What does is the availability of heavier better bullets. Being able to shoot a variety of 130-140g bullets makes a 260ai better deer caliber for me.

Good luck with the build! Can't think of much I wouldn't hunt with one. I get building a rifle for a specific bullet. That said, I'd be a bit leary doing so with only one option in a given bore size. Meaning, there's not much else out there in the 130ish grain range in .257. In say, 6.5 you have more options in that weight range if the one you want to shoot for some reason doesn't shoot well in your rifle.
Yeah, I started with an internal debate between 6.5 and 7mm. But with the emergence of .25’s becoming more prevalent and two more bullet options coming out this year, I am confident in being able to get one to work. Knowing a couple other very good shooters with real world experience on game helps. Both have loads with excellent performance we will start from.

@Addicting what bullet was that with?

It was a long time ago and back then we didn’t have many factory options. The heaviest we could get was 115g core-lokts. I messed around with ballistic tips too, but they made a mess of everything. These new bullets may make the quarter bore a better contender.

But there is no way I would take it elk hunting especially seeing you have a 300 Win Mag already.

With your component list it'll surely shoot with any decent projectile, should be more options as the years go by as well. Who's doing the work?

That is the plan for deer and antelope.

Before we start going down a rabbit hole of if the .007 makes a bit of difference it doesn’t. What does is the availability of heavier better bullets. Being able to shoot a variety of 130-140g bullets makes a 260ai better deer caliber for me.
I agree that the bullet type/construction makes more of a difference than the diameter or weight difference between any 257 and 6.5.

It has less to do with weight of bullet or caliber...or even cartridge.

placement, bullet, head stamp....in that order.

A 25-06 or a 260ai or whatever caliber you choose, does not in and of itself kill an animal. You need to place a bullet that is properly constructed in the right location on the animal.

Why the gain in popularity for the 223 shooting 77 gr TMKs at critters? It has nothing to do with ft-lbs or bullet diameter. It's the idea that out to a certain distance the 77 gr TMK will open up and cause great internal damage (large wound channel), and it does it all with little recoil, thereby making it easier to shoot accurately.

I can't comment on the 131 Ace, never shot it. I see loads of pictures that people post with kills using that bullet, but that's it.

If it's constructed well there is no doubt that it will kill any big game in North America, without a doubt. If it the bullet is not constructed well, then it doesn't matter how big the hole is in your barrel or how fast it's coming out. It won't kill as effectively.

All I use my 25-06 for is antelope and a back up whitetail rifle. No way in hell I'd shoot an elk with one. I know it can be done and there will be guys arguing that fact, but it's just personal preference wanting the biggest minimum cartridge going through the lungs or shoulder of an animal that big. Guys will argue bullet choices based on perfect scenerios, but sometimes that bull moves or turns as you pull the trigger and you don't have that perfect thru and thru lung shot and will need something that will break a shoulder down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back