I hate to do it but I have to. Help me pick a caliber.

Best caliber for wife's new rifle

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • 6.5x55

• 6.5CM

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • 257Bob

• 7mm08

Votes: 53 52.5%

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • 270WSM

• other

Votes: 8 7.9%

• Total voters
I don't think there is a way for any other caliber to come back and take the lead. So here was my top 3 and thanks to help on here it has made the choice pretty easy.

7mm08 was leading the pack in my mind. With me wanting to reload for the 280 when I return to the 48 I would pick a bullet like the 136 hammer and load it for both.
308 was number 2. I am not a fan of the round at all just for the simple fact that it is so main stream. I know full well of what it is capable of and will never knock anyone owning one.
My 3rd pick was the 260 because its a 6.5mm and just as capable as the 6.5mb but without the man bun part.

Thanks for all the help and picking the caliber.

I imagine 6.5 CM ammo is easier to find than 260 Rem or 6.5x55 so that's what I'd do. Unless of course you reload. Then it's a toss up between 6.5 CM and 260 Rem. I love the 6.5x55 but one draw back is it require's a long action. I have a mod 70 in it and installing a 2-7X scope required extended rings, hard to come by around here. Make no mistake, I love my6.5x55, even had one done for a wife years ago. She gave up using a 6mm Rem and used her 6.5x55 for everything. 260 Rem and 6.5 CM ends ammo problem's and they come in a short action. I like short actions! With fairly hot loads the 6.5 CM and 260 Rem should recoil some what less also. 6.5x55 can be loaded to a standard for old military actions or modern actions, good difference in recoil with them.

I would buy a few box's of 100 grain partitions for her .243 and call it good...
I could do that too and have her shoot my 280 for elk. The 243 is a tack driver, I have it loaded with 90 grain nosler hunting BT and my best 5 round group at 100 yards was .51" I can never get rid of that gun just because it is a shooter.

I would buy a few box's of 100 grain partitions for her .243 and call it good...
That is what my son shot when he got his whitetail year before last.The 100 gr pills work nice. We found the slug in the front leg just before the last joint. It was a 90yd Bang\Flop moment20161112_172734.jpg

Last edited:
I bought my wife an 7mm-08 in the Savage lwh and loaded with 140 accubonds and RL17. Pretty accurate combination. She enjoys shooting the rifle and she grew up shooting a .280 remington, so this has less recoil even on a lighter platform.

That is what my son shot when he got his whitetail year before last.The 100 gr pills work nice. We found the slug in the front leg just before the last joint. It was a 90yd Bang\Flop momentView attachment 104409
The baling twine in the truck is awesome. Right next to duct tape as a must have. I have some in the rig at all times. mtmuley

Actually it was an extension cord, the bailing twine was behind the seat. It was for the block heater. I don't go anywhere without some kind of duct tape

Actually it was an extension cord, the bailing twine was behind the seat. It was for the block heater. I don't go anywhere without some kind of duct tape
Looks like a vintage Chevy or GMC. I have one of those too. mtmuley

Looks like a vintage Chevy or GMC. I have one of those too. mtmuley
83 Scottsdale 6.2 diesel. It is a lawn ornament now. It made the trip from the Washington coast to northern Idaho 3 times. I am a big Chevy fan, especially the old square body

83 Scottsdale 6.2 diesel. It is a lawn ornament now. It made the trip from the Washington coast to northern Idaho 3 times. I am a big Chevy fan, especially the old square body
I love the square body Chevy, I had an 85' with the 350 and granny low four speed. Still mad I sold it. I keep passing one on the way to work that doesn't move, I need to make on offer on it. How was that 6.2? Only heard bad things about em. Sorry to derail this thread. Just get a 7mm-08 and dont worry about it.

I love the square body Chevy, I had an 85' with the 350 and granny low four speed. Still mad I sold it. I keep passing one on the way to work that doesn't move, I need to make on offer on it. How was that 6.2? Only heard bad things about em. Sorry to derail this thread. Just get a 7mm-08 and dont worry about it.
PM sent

If you don't reload, I'd suggest a 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 Win for the variety and availability of factory ammo.

If you do, I'd suggest the Creedmoor or 7-08.

Since she's a lefty, options are much more limited than for a RH, especially finding used "deals". I know as both my boys are left eyed, so shoot left handed. They have a 243 Rem Ruger American that they share. I'll likely be adding another to the mix, but it may have to be the Predator model as Ruger has discontinued all LH American's except that model. To piggyback on what Buzz stated, with the right bullet and limiting shots to 300yds (like in the OP), I'd have no problem with them using the 243 on elk. I'd look at the 100gr Partition or a similar weight mono bullet.

I picked 7mm-08, and stick by it.
As was mentioned, fit is most important.
Either the Weatherby Camilla, or Savage Lady Hunter would be good choices.
Or change stocks.
My wife shoots a Savage 110FP (range only) that i put a Boyds ATOne stock on.

Back to cartridge.
This is where Big Fin and i agree. Keep it within 400 yards, and the 7mm-08 won't let you down.

Back