Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Polaris UTV negotiation

serious question for all you guys with SxS's

would you be able to enjoy your hunting and your outdoors activities the same without one? or is it an integral and necessary component of your hobbies?

i feel like i'm surprised how many of you have them. i basically know zero people personally who hunt that have OHVs except for some ranchers i know.

i just can't in a million years ever seeing myself thinking they're worth the money, my hypothetical presidential/dictatorship candidacy also promises to shut down forest service roads and OHV use if i win.

i could see myself with one if end up with a big ol property. i feel like more people actually have SxS's east of the mississippi than west too...

i dunno

It's integral to my access options. When things are sketchy, I'd rather be in a S x S than the truck I use to ferry kids around, pull the camper, etc. I suppose for the price of a lot of new UTVs, a guy could buy a damn capable jeep.

I live adjacent to the most heavily roaded chunk of the B-D NF. It's mining country, and the roads were not designed with logging trucks in mind. Just to get to the wilder stuff that I want to hike, I have to drive up bad roads if I am hunting in the area. It's just more capable, and sacrificial, than a larger vehicle. Without it, I wouldn't really be able to access tens of thousands of acres unless that meant walking many miles up open roads while guys in Razrs drive by with their beers and koozies. Also, I plow my driveway with it. This weekend I'll be up in Lincoln for the Blackfoot Valley Optimists Club Scavenger Hunt.

When used properly, a UTV just opens up a lot of opportunity for fun.

1685025044066.png

My thinking is that if you don’t buy a $21k tool you will never plan a hunt where you need a $21k tool 😉
I thought the same way for a long time. And most of the places I have been to hunt, a UTV wouldn't be required, but would beneficial for some of the same reasons mentioned above. Wear and tear on a pickup, they can fit into tighter spaces without getting pinstriped by a tree, etc. But I second what @Nameless Range said. They open up country and access. What I found to be very helpful is just having another vehicle stashed. Instead of hunting out and back to a vehicle or camp, you can through hike and then drive the UTV back to your main vehicle. I've dropped a UTV 5-6 miles a way and then spent the day slowly hunting back to it. If I kill something, even right in the middle, I can get back to one of the vehicles easily. And I don't waste time hunting back through an area that may not be holding game just to get to my truck. That's just one big advantage I've found when solo hunting.

It's integral to my access options. When things are sketchy, I'd rather be in a S x S than the truck I use to ferry kids around, pull the camper, etc. I suppose for the price of a lot of new UTVs, a guy could buy a damn capable jeep.

I live adjacent to the most heavily roaded chunk of the B-D NF. It's mining country, and the roads were not designed with logging trucks in mind. Just to get to the wilder stuff that I want to hike, I have to drive up bad roads if I am hunting in the area. It's just more capable, and sacrificial, than a larger vehicle. Without it, I wouldn't really be able to access tens of thousands of acres unless that meant walking many miles up open roads while guys in Razrs drive by with their beers and koozies. Also, I plow my driveway with it. This weekend I'll be up in Lincoln for the Blackfoot Valley Optimists Club Scavenger Hunt.

When used properly, a UTV just opens up a lot of opportunity for fun.

View attachment 277272

no doubt, on all counts.

i kinda take the truck vs. car wllm approach to OHVs though, i.e. 97% of the time even the high clearance truck isn't necessary to get to great hunting spots. and then, because when you drop a years worth of mortgage payments on one you then have an internal obligation to use it. if you don't use it, what a massive waste of money, and now you've just hamstrung yourself into only hunting places where you can use an OHV and overlook all the great places they aren't necessary. and how many great places are they not necessary?

i don't think people are dumb for having them, even though in my mind like the majority of OHV use on public land is actually abuse and makes me despise OHVs above almost any other public land use.

really, for me, it would just take a whole new league of disposable income for me to be willing to buy one. but even then, there's another damn thing to maintain when i could spend that time alpine flyfishing out of a backpack instead 😁

it's also hard to have a place to store these things when you live HOA suburbia

The thing I like about mine is the versatility. I can plow snow which saves me from owning a snowblower. I can work on food plots. I can do yard maintenance. I can check trail cameras with less impact to resident deer. I can trail ride. I never base where I hunt on whether I can use it. I imagine some people do. I can load all my stuff and run out to the fish house. My kids ride it around the neighborhood. Sometimes I just take it for a ride because it is fun. And sometimes I am forced to go for a ride by my dog as she is a big fan of it!

Togie, I really hear what you are saying about public land use and abuse. I have witnessed it myself. I will never be "that guy".

TOGIE, I don’t have a SxS. I have a 97 & a 98 Honda Fourtrax’s. Occasional maintenance is my only expense. They stay at my deer camp. From there, we have 1,300 acres and 60,000 acres of public land available. During most of the year, my Tacoma is parked once it reaches the camp.

Incredible tool that allowed me to extract a bunch of deer in a timely manner and still make it to work for my 1 pm shift. It usually stayed in the truck bed unless I needed to get a kill out. Pic is from a before eve shift hunt years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_8683.jpeg
    IMG_8683.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
It is definitely a sellers market. Not just ATVs but everything. I buy and sell equipment for my company. We can't get new anything. We have had a directional bore rig on order and two boom trucks for a year and a half. I have been flying all over the country looking at used trucks and equipment that are more than what they cost new and not in the best of shape. I just bought a new hold over model motorcycle and about puked at the price. I negotiated some accessories and the first service but paid over MSRP. I felt like I broke even seeing how shop labor is $130 an hr.

My standard offer on vehicles is 15% off of the listed price. Sometimes they take it, but at the least, they make a counter. In your case, I'd round it off to $18k.
The markup is usually 1/3. At 15% , they make money and you get a deal!

I am in the process of negotiating out the door price on a new Polaris Ranger 1000. Both dealers have given me the pretty much a standard msrp + shipping + processing + doc fees + prep fees number. One did give me 10% off on the “attachments” (front/rear windows, top & winch). We are talking about $21k all in as a starting point. For those with experience negotiating with Polaris dealers, what type of room do they have to move? 10%? 5%? None? More?

What say you?
Interest rates are rising; This makes discretionary spending more difficult on luxury toy items. Give it more time, and walk in with cash. Mention to them also I’m here to help make your quota and get this dealership A Polaris bonus. This assumes they are like car dealerships

Interest rates are rising; This makes discretionary spending more difficult on luxury toy items. Give it more time, and walk in with cash. Mention to them also I’m here to help make your quota and get this dealership A Polaris bonus. This assumes they are like car dealerships
15% seems like a good starting point

Back