Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Points for Mule Deer

nhn2a

Hello everyone,

Next year some family, friends, and I are going to try and plan a DIY mule deer hunt out west. None of us have ever hunted mule deer but are very experienced whitetail deer hunters. We've been researching a lot trying to figure out where we should go and are leaning towards Colorado. Since the deadline to put in for preference points is quickly approaching, we need to get the state locked in. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on hunting mule deer in Colorado or better states to look?

All of us are more interested in having better opportunity than getting a trophy mule deer. I've already watched all the On your own adventure mule deer hunts on youtube but Randy makes it look easy in every state so just hoping to narrow it down a little bit.

No points needed in Idaho. The application period is still to come for controlled hunts. You could throw your names in the hat on a really good controlled hunt and if you don't draw just pick up an OTC tag and come hunt anyways.

If you're set on CO, just buy your PP for this year and continue your research until next year when you actually apply for the unit you decide on.

Last edited:
If you're set on CO, just buy your PP for this year and continue your research until next year when you actually apply for the unit you decide on.

I'm not dead set on CO yet. Just leaning that way. If you recommend a different state, I'd welcome any advice or thoughts on why.

I have hunted mule deer in a few western states and CO wins hands down for quantity and quality. Plus you get to hunt them in the rut with a rifle. You can get an OK tag with 1 point, but you'll have alot more options with 2. Look to the NW corner of the state for numbers, 62 and the grand mesa units come to mind for better trophy potential.

I have hunted mule deer in a few western states and CO wins hands down for quantity and quality. Plus you get to hunt them in the rut with a rifle. You can get an OK tag with 1 point, but you'll have alot more options with 2. Look to the NW corner of the state for numbers, 62 and the grand mesa units come to mind for better trophy potential.

Thank you for the advice. Do those units that you mention as good trophy units also have good opportunity or am I really going to have to choose one or the other? I don't mind putting the hunt off for one more year to build points if it will result in a much better hunt.

What are you considering good?
seeing a 100+ deer a day with a a few small bucks
Seeing 50 deer a day with 5 branch antlered bucks
Seeing 10+ branch antlered bucks a day
Seeing 2 GIANT bucks in the whole season.

When group hunting I want everybody to be able to see critters, enjoy each other's company and the hunt.
When trophy hunting I am just hoping for 1 chance at a wall hanger.

I have tried NM with no BP system it is hard to know if you will ever get a tag.
CO has been my choice for Mulies. I have had a great time and some good success there.
Wyoming and Utah are getting my money this year as well.
Good luck

eastern Montana during the rut isn't a bad muley hunt and the tag is guaranteed.But,I'd still buy points in Co.You will want to go again so points in a few states is good.Wy., you can buy points only starting in July till end of Oct

What are you considering good?
seeing a 100+ deer a day with a a few small bucks
Seeing 50 deer a day with 5 branch antlered bucks
Seeing 10+ branch antlered bucks a day
Seeing 2 GIANT bucks in the whole season.

When group hunting I want everybody to be able to see critters, enjoy each other's company and the hunt.
When trophy hunting I am just hoping for 1 chance at a wall hanger.

I have tried NM with no BP system it is hard to know if you will ever get a tag.
CO has been my choice for Mulies. I have had a great time and some good success there.
Wyoming and Utah are getting my money this year as well.
Good luck

I would say the more the better. Since this is our first mule deer hunt, I would like to see a lot of deer so that we can get some experience spotting and stalking in close multiple times assuming we will have a few busts. Also with 4 of us, we would rather have everyone fill a tag and bring back a lot of meat than to bring back one trophy.

Then I would narrow my research down to most deer per sq mile. then look at how many points it takes to draw those area. Then check to make sure there is a fair amount of Public land that is accessible.
Trying something new is always a gamble. Talk to a few Game managers and narrow down your choices even more. Best of luck guys.

Every Rocky Mnt state has some big bucks running around in it. Some states more than others. Colorado is one of the best choices. You cant go wrong there. But if your just looking for meat bucks then you can find a meat buck in any state. Really the hardest part is just picking a state, once you have that figured out just do the required research and you will put yourself and your guys in a unit that should give you a good hunt. But have two back up plans at a minimum to your original go-to location.

I would say the more the better. Since this is our first mule deer hunt, I would like to see a lot of deer so that we can get some experience spotting and stalking in close multiple times assuming we will have a few busts. Also with 4 of us, we would rather have everyone fill a tag and bring back a lot of meat than to bring back one trophy.

As long as you are willing to get out of the truck and walk more than 100 yards you will get what you want in central/and or Eastern Montana, and to some extent the Rocky mountain front. Out east you will see lots of deer, plenty of small to medium bucks and the occasional but semi rare wall hanger. You should all fill tags there

Thanks for all the feedback. I think we have decided to proceed with Colorado. We are now doing our research on what area, how many points do we need, etc. I've seen some posts are saying eastern/central and others have said north western. Can anyone provide any justification on choosing one over the other? I'm probably going to have to subscribe to gohunt to really decide and break it down to the numbers.

No points needed in Idaho. The application period is still to come for controlled hunts. You could throw your names in the hat on a really good controlled hunt and if you don't draw just pick up an OTC tag and come hunt anyways.

I third this!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back