Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Plum Creek Selling Montana Property to NC

As far as I am concerned this is great news.

One of the worst things that could happen in Western Montana would be a Plum Creek liquidation in the name of Real Estate development. In terms of outdoor recreation, habitat, etc. those lands are in much more secure ownership under The Nature Conservancy.

Over the 6 year period I lived in Missoula (I blame the rivers on taking 5 + years to graduate ;) ), I was either successful myself or was a part of successful hunts for deer, elk, and bear - all of which I've seen taken on Nature Conservancy lands.

As far as I am concerned this is great news.

One of the worst things that could happen in Western Montana would be a Plum Creek liquidation in the name of Real Estate development. In terms of outdoor recreation, habitat, etc. those lands are in much more secure ownership under The Nature Conservancy.

Over the 6 year period I lived in Missoula (I blame the rivers on taking 5 + years to graduate ;) ), I was either successful myself or was a part of successful hunts for deer, elk, and bear - all of which I've seen taken on Nature Conservancy lands.

Totally agree. The Nature Conservancy has helped out hunters in Region 2 so much it's ridiculous. I don't know if it's their intent to be so sportsman friendly, but their action most definitely are.

I agree this is good news. I have hunted PCTC land in NW MT for going on 25 years. I'm grateful for the access their timberlands afforded. However, I've also lost access to dozens, if not scores, of those places as PCTC has pursued "higher and better uses." (I.e., sold to developers.) The Nature Conservancy has helped lock in public access to section after section of land in the Seeley and Swan Valleys and beyond. Kudos to them.

At least in Montana, TNC and the Trust For Public Lands are both very "hunter friendly."

At least in Montana, TNC and the Trust For Public Lands are both very "hunter friendly."

And as I understand that The Nature Conservancy are usually just the entity that purchases/facilitates the land, then they turn it over to an agency, be it DNRC, BLM or Federal. Correct?

And as I understand that The Nature Conservancy are usually just the entity that purchases/facilitates the land, then they turn it over to an agency, be it DNRC, BLM or Federal. Correct?

That's how they usually work, yeah. There are some areas around Missoula though where they've owned land for quite a while. Not sure what their long term plan is for that land.

Generally. They do own ranches in MT that are open to the public (like the Matador and Pine Butte) and those properties are on a lottery system. They're the same in WY as well - open to recreation, hunting, etc. but you have to reserve your time/space.

I love TNC. Great folks and wonderful partners for hunters & anglers in the Northern Rockies.

"We're not exactly sure of the ultimate ownership of lots of this land," he said. "That will really be determined by how people can best use the place."

Overall, this is great news. But the reality is some of this land will not be accessible to the public long-term. In fact, west of Missoula, the TNC has been selling some previously acquired industry parcels to private landowners.

As a private landowner, that's their right.

I was pretty glad when the MT Legislature and Congress both ponied up for the Legacy project funding. Projects like this are why programs like the Land & Water Conservation Fund are so important.

As a private landowner, that's their right.

I was pretty glad when the MT Legislature and Congress both ponied up for the Legacy project funding. Projects like this are why programs like the Land & Water Conservation Fund are so important.

Yep, I understand that very clearly. As I said, great news. Just thought there might be some misconceptions that all this land would be available to the public in the future. I sure hope MT can find a way to keep it public.

Yep, I understand that very clearly. As I said, great news. Just thought there might be some misconceptions that all this land would be available to the public in the future. I sure hope MT can find a way to keep it public.

agreed.

TNC owns land in Washington that is open to public hunting also. I don't find them to be the bogeymen that some do, I think they do great things for outdoorsmen.

Overall, this is great news. But the reality is some of this land will not be accessible to the public long-term. In fact, west of Missoula, the TNC has been selling some previously acquired industry parcels to private landowners.

This is pretty common with marginal land - perhaps it was fragmented habitat stuck between developments? They use the proceeds to buy better habitat.

Looks like Missoula area "Free Skier's" are not going to be able to snow mobile on these properties anymore. Time will tell how much of them will be open to hunting in the years to come. Will depend on who ultimately owns the properties and what those owners decide. Hopefully the N C puts conservation easements on the properties requiring public access by the land owners. State or Feds may buy some as well.

A lot of these properties were already on the market........with little interest from private buyers.......Missoula County is not sub-division friendly.

I think overall this is a good deal for sportsmen.

This deal closed today. In the article link there is a map worth looking at. From the Blackfoot to the Swan there is now a large swath of protected land.

http://missoulanews.bigskypress.com...lion-purchase-of-plum-creek-land-up-blackfoot

Had this land been sold to private individuals and not the Nature Conservancy, some of the best hunting within an hour of Missoula would have potentially been lost forever. Some great fishing and hiking too.

The Upper West Fork Gold Creek area, Belmont Creek, Black Mountain, Belmont Point and Game Ridge .They are important habitat and places with a lot of history - both Native American and after.

This is a good deal, and if not purchased by the Nature Conservancy, would've made some filthy rich real estate developers very happy.

Up the West Fork of Gold Creek, on some of this land that was conserved today I took my daughter on her first hike. There is a grove up there of old growth trees where Native Americans used to summer and escape the heat. Near this land's border with the Rattlesnake Wilderness about 2 miles directly north of Shoofly Meadows there is an unnamed lake. I'd guess it is about 8 acres in size. Pretty big lake to still not have a name registered with the GNIS and Bureau of Geographic Names.

The Nature Conservancy does some pretty important work in Western Montana and I appreciate the heck out of it.

Attachments

• 44829_583014951436_56494_n.jpg
    44829_583014951436_56494_n.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 902
Last edited:
The Nature Conservancy has prohibited hunting on all the lands it owns here in North Idaho. It would be nice if Plum Creek could put some kind of easement on it to require that it remain open to hunting in perpetuity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back