Picked out your mulie or elk on the winter range?

Dinkshooter

Has anyone here ever done this?

I don't mean getting lucky and having it come to the lower country early the next year and whacking him. I mean spotting a muley buck or a bull in the winter months, figuring out where they headed and finding them in the early seasons or mid October seasons? Picked out one specific animal and went for it? A all or nothing kind of deal. Do you have before and after pics?

And what is the longest you have ever chased the same specific animal? Couple years? Were you positive it was the same one?

Last edited:
That would be a good one for sure. Seeing one on winter range, then figuring out where he migrated from, and what he became the next year, nope.

I did see one bull in the fall, one time, that I had on trail camera in July or August. I only knew it was him because he had a second left tine that grew way long and awry. And he was still 3 basins away from where he summered.

Chased a monster whitetail for three seasons and never did get him. I hope he died of old age. I've even driven my Bronco into the woods the night before and slept in it, got into place on a ridge top along a powerline way before day on mornings so cold the wet ground grew 3" ice crystals as I sat there, and the bugger still got past me. He always came in the same way and bedded on the point of a ridge where he could watch the trail and the entire river bottom., He didn't get that old or big by being stupid. If I ever want to hunt dumb deer I'll go muley hunting again.

Chased a monster whitetail for three seasons and never did get him. I hope he died of old age. I've even driven my Bronco into the woods the night before and slept in it, got into place on a ridge top along a powerline way before day on mornings so cold the wet ground grew 3" ice crystals as I sat there, and the bugger still got past me. He always came in the same way and bedded on the point of a ridge where he could watch the trail and the entire river bottom., He didn't get that old or big by being stupid. If I ever want to hunt dumb deer I'll go muley hunting again.

Think that is why it is called hunting? As you said some of the bruts don't get that way by being stupid. It makes a person wonder if it is in an animal's DNA. Was their dad, grampy, someone who lived to get large by being smarter than others in the herd? Really makes a person wonder if the genes are passed on??

Two years hunting the same two mule deer bucks...a 3x3 and a 4x4 with nice eye guards...this year is the year! I will post picks in July! I hope!:hump:

I've never spent much time on winter range for the areas I hunt. Probably should...

There's an elk that I have two years sheds off of, that I missed one year during rifle season. I'd be really surprised if he made it through last rifle season though with the early snows we had.

Man you must have loads and loads of stupid 200" muledeer? Do you have any pics?

In the initial post I was going to add, “no stupid whitetail stories”. I didn’t to be nice.

Now please do not post any further stupid whitetail stories:D

Man you must have loads and loads of stupid 200" muledeer? Do you have any pics?

Come on now IDbugler a 100" mule deer looks big to tarheed.

Whitetails ARE smart, its the people that hunt them that are not.

The whole whitetail thing is complicated anyhow. I know for a fact a whitetail from MT or WY is insulted if you just call them a "whitetail". They want no relationship or comparision to their cousins back east. They prefer to be called "western whitetails".

Tarheed probably isn't reading hunttalk right now, he's out buying the new realtree camo....

No 200 inchers, but our one and only mule deer hunt!
Way tooooo easy! You western fudgepackers can hunt the gay mule deer along with any cheesheads out there.:D

Attachments

• 407346-R1-03-3.jpg
    407346-R1-03-3.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 967
  • 100_1287.JPG
    100_1287.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 954
  • 100_1291.JPG
    100_1291.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 952
  • 100_1283.JPG
    100_1283.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 938
The west will win. We will just lock out the Eastern Tenderfoots. Who the hell goes back east to hunt?:D

This season, I found one in May. The first time I got pictures was in Aug.
SANY0298.JPG
SANY0302.JPG
Sep 1st archery season opened, spent 7 days after this buck. I actually passed on 4 others, this is new to me with a bow. Made it all worth while when I killed him at 14 yards.
DSCN0389.JPG
SANY0323.JPG
As far as finding them in the winter, I haven't ever been able to do it. This is the first time I set out after one buck and one buck only.

Teddy Roosevelt was a wise man, and compared extensively the sport of hunting mule deer (called "black-tail" in his works) and whitetails. Here are a couple of his quotes:

"Such lands where the ground is roughest, and where there is some cover, even though scattered and scanty, are the best places to find the black-tail. Naturally their pursuit needs very different qualities in the hunter from those required in the chase of the white-tail. In the later case stealth and caution are the prime requisites; while the man who would hunt and kill the deer of the uplands has more especial need of energy, activity, and endurance, of good judgement and skill with the rifle. Hunting the black-tail is beyond comparison the nobler sport."

"....and so, though to kill a white-tail is rather more difficult than to kill a black-tail, yet the chase of the later is certainly the nobler form of sport, for it calls into play, and either develops or implies the presence of, much more manly qualities than does the other."

Just sayin'....:D

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back