Caribou Gear

Picked out your mulie or elk on the winter range?

It may be easy(ier) to shoot a mature whitetail out West, but it's a completely different ballgame back East (midwest doesn't count as back East). As much as I don't want to back Tarheel up (I'm a Wake fan) after talking smack about hunting muleys, in my experience hunting both Montana and Virginia, it's much tougher to find animals, let alone respectable animals, on public land back East. With that said, it's tougher to hunt (physically) out here. I'm not sure how serious Oak was with his previous post about Teddy R., but it's true. Much more of a hunt out here (assuming you don't have a guide driving you to your animals).

Muley Crazy; Ya muley hunting out west here is tuff said:
Mule Crazy I was kidding. I put the smiley face on it.

I know we are way off topic(pick out your elk or deer in winter) but I think you are proving tarheel's point about muledeer being easier to hunt. I put a lot less effort into getting a nice mule deer (drew a good tag) than a whitetail back here.

Also, I realize now that what I posted wasn't that funny or politically correct. I hate that phrase, but I can't figure out how to edit it. I don't have an edit button on my posts. Can someone help me. Thanks

Weird. I have an edit button on the post I just made. None on the one from the other day.

O MY bad I thought you were being serious on your 1st post, no worries I was just ready to go to battle thanks for the reply !

When I was young, I discovered a white-tailed gray squirrel while bowhunting deer. I tried for a while to put an arrow in him...even heart shot a big doe at 8 steps from the ground in the open hardwood bottom when she came in while I was standing motionless waiting for a shot on the squirrel after my morning deer hunt. I drew on her when she walked behind a big White Oak, nailed her and she never even saw me until she trotted 18 yards up a little ridge and stopped to look back over her shoulder at me. She just suddenly fell straight to the ground as if you'd flicked off the switch. It was simply one of those moments...
Oh yeah, back to the squirrel. After the sweet kill on the old doe, I never did get a bowshot on the little white-tailed tree rat. I must admit that I went back in there and got him after archery season with my shotgun with the intention of mounting him, but never did... he just didn't look as good dead as when he was runnin' round with that tail shining. I shoulda mounted him anyway, but money was a little tighter in them days, what with kids and such.

Haven't done that on mule deer, but have on other species, especially whitetails back when I was just a boy - those critters are d.u.m. dum. It's been 10 years since I've taken a whitetail on my MT A tag, it would be like notching your annual black bear tag on a prairie dog.

There has been quite a few Muleys that I have singled out and hunted just for them only. The longest was five seasons. Hunted him with bow and rifle and this is in NoDak, that amounts to 4 months of hunting a year. When I finally got him with a bow, he had regressed alot(aged at 9.5 years old), but he still made state record for NoDak for a few years, he's down the list a ways now. Most of the bucks I have gotten lucky to bag the last few years I have watched for a couple years or more. For me it is alot of fun watching a buck for a few years and seeing the changes in his antlers and body.

This thread has turned silly.You guys with contempt for whiteys better offer up a trophy room full of 150' plus mounts before making cracks about intelligence.If you hunt muleys,you kill muleys and vice versus.Trophy muley hunting success depends upon a willingness to continue hunting as much ground as possible,trophy whitetails is more about patience.BOTH depend upon quality animals being available.I don't really see there being a viable comparison,..ie. one easier than the other,its two different games.I've been on plenty of western whitetail hunts that were every bit as taxing as a muley hunts and I know there are plenty of muledeer killed on private ranches that are less than challanging.Too many variables.Lets hear from a hunter who has a room full of trophies ,either muleys or whiteys who switched games because he/she thought it became too easy.Wouldn't be me.

Being that I stopped hunting whitetails shortly after my nuts dropped, I don't have that many of them.

And who'd want to garbage up a nice trophy room with whitetail deer? They definitely belong in the garage.
IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

Last edited:
Here he is. Scored 172 7/8" net P&Y. Not the biggest, but was for a while. The record was for North Dakota. NoDak has been turning out some good ones in the last few years.
P10101872.JPG

I once stalked CH for a whole day, dayight to dark. Good thing he never left town or I would not have been able to keep up.

I have 5 wts in the house - way too many. Thinking about selling some. Here's 2 with sheds from previous years, one taken on public, the other on block mgt. 180s and 160s from MT. I shot the bigger one alone, from a haybale blind I made, before school when I was 13. He grew about 25 inches in one year. The other one was missed by a hunting companion in 93, I shot it in 94, rattled it in.
IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back