Picked out your mulie or elk on the winter range?

Since it appears no one has been man enough to "Babe Ruth" their bull from the winter ground before. Anyone ever pre picked their squirrel?

I chased a bull that I saw opening day of rifle season one year, and the next two on the winter range. I missed him at 25 yards the third year with my bow. He was shot by a rifle hunter the following month. Still have nightmares about the miss, the arrow hit a twig and cut hair off his back. Still have the broadhead with hair on it as a reminder.

One of the coolest hunts I've been on. Heard a bull raking a tree about 300 yards up over a ridge, I moved in to investigate and was pinned down by cows and smaller bulls. After about 5 minutes of cat and mouse he appears, I draw, nearly slice my finger off... shoot, watch arrow deflect off a twig and miss. It was a 350 class 6x7. I saw him 3 seperate times in those 3 years durning the season. Twice in archer, and once in rifle.

Arrogance ain't naught but poorly disguised ignorance. :rolleyes:;)

...says a guy that lives in a state where they sit in recliners in giant elevated boxes and shoot deer as the eat corn thrown out every hour by an electric feeder...

Since it appears no one has been man enough to "Babe Ruth" their bull from the winter ground before. Anyone ever pre picked their squirrel?

No but I was king of the chipmunk when I was a malicious youth with a 22 and and boxes of blammo.

Still cringe as I think of my grandmother saying. Where did all the chipmunks go? And seeing the frown on grandpa's knowng face. The guilt of that episide saved many a harmless critter since then. If it is not on the menu, it walks. duh.

My Brother in law Marked one for me in Western Wyoming.

Here is the story.

In 2007 we drew elk tags. It was my first year Hunting Elk in Wyoming. I killed a 6 point bull on the Opening Day. The next day my brother in law got into some elk the next draw over and got a shot on a good 6 point as well. The bull dropped like a rock then got to his feet and took off. They followed the blood trail for the rest of the day and when I got back to camp after the meat run, Mike was looking sick about losing the bull. He ended up killing another good bull a few days later.
My opening day bull
n1493630849_30034443_5138.jpg

Mike's first elk ever, (That is my Dad with him)
n1493630849_30034455_1982.jpg

In 2008 we were lucky enough to draw again. This year Mike didn't put in with us so it was Dad and I . We had a few days before The opening of Rifle season so I went out with my bow to see what I could do.

I had a bull up the draw that Mike had wounded the bull in the year before answering my calls but not willing to get any closer. We played cat and mouse but he pretty much herded up his cows and headed into some thick cover in the draw. I got a glimpse of a good bull, and figured I'd take Dad there in the morning.

As dawn spread across the upper reaches of the ridge, The bulls began singing out. Instead of setting up lower on the ridge, we continued to climb up to the trail I saw the bull traveling the morning prior. As we began to traverse the side hill took the lead and began to see elk cows below and in front of me. I motioned to dad that we were into the elk and continued to scan the hillside in front of me.

What I didn’t count on was that the bull we had been hearing would come out of the timber BEHIND my father and I. I heard the rocks rolling above me and saw cows below me look up. I followed their gaze and saw elk crossing the saddle above me. I wheeled and brought my rifle to my shoulder just like I was quail hunting. I had one shot and fired before the bull disappeared over the finger.

My father called to me, 30 yards behind…”You hit ‘im?”

I responded: “I was on him when the shot went off”.

But my thoughts were on the lack of a reaction from the elk. Before I could follow up, I began hearing rocks clattering, and I saw dust rising from the next saddle. I jogged around the finger to watch my elk rolling head over heels from 9500 feet elevation down PAST ME, until he finally came to rest 500 vertical feet below where he had been when I shot.

n1493630849_30070993_5280.jpg

After we took this picture I noticed the bull was missing hair on his withers. I was sure it was the bull Mike had shot there the year prior. A high shot that creases the spinal processes will knock a big animal like that down, and he had survived and even come back to his "rut hole". On the drive home I called Mike and let him know we had found his bull from last year. It was a cool story and my biggest bull yet from Wyoming.

...says a guy that lives in a state where they sit in recliners in giant elevated boxes and shoot deer as the eat corn thrown out every hour by an electric feeder...

....spit the hook out so's I can bait it again.:cool:

NIce pics 2rocky.

Man you must have loads and loads of stupid 200" muledeer? Do you have any pics?

Nowhere in my post did I say mule deer were stupid; I did however say they were dumb. There is a big difference, as is manifested by some of the responses to my post. I hunted the west for twenty seasons and my opinion is the same, and don't once mistake me for someone who hunts over a field or corn pile. Knowledge of wildlife and or hunting is not confined to the members of the "Mutual Admiration Society" found within the membership of this forum.

Nowhere in my post did I say mule deer were stupid; I did however say they were dumb. There is a big difference, as is manifested by some of the responses to my post. I hunted the west for twenty seasons and my opinion is the same, and don't once mistake me for someone who hunts over a field or corn pile. Knowledge of wildlife and or hunting is not confined to the members of the "Mutual Admiration Society" found within the membership of this forum.

Lets see the pics man, 20 years of hunting dumb deer must have given you a bunch of 200" bucks...

I hunted the west for twenty seasons and my opinion is the same,.

It took you 20 years to figure out you do not care to hunt "dumb" deer? Slooooow learner?

and don't once mistake me for someone who hunts over a field or corn pile..

From your posts we take you for a guy that hunts near powerlines. Must be really wild where you hunt Tarhead. Watch out for those transformers. Btw how big was that monster buck you were chasing? Must of had more than 3 points on a side or as you call it "a 6 pter"

Knowledge of wildlife and or hunting is not confined to the members of the "Mutual Admiration Society" found within the membership of this forum.

Yes it is. It's ok, everyone from back east is wrong Tarhead.

Of course you could just shut me up by posting pictures of all your big mule deer Tarhead.

But we all know that isn't going happen.

PA MT MAN this is your post form your GAY mule deer hunt "I shot my bull on saturday the first day,a little 4x4 so I could concentrate on mule deer. It was the fourth elk I had seen after setting up my 75 year old friend in a blind that morning. I couldn't get a shot on the first one and I'm not going to say what happened on the next two, except that I'm not the marksman I thought I was. I got the elk just before sunset and got it ready to pack out for the next day.
I let some of my friends elkhunt there the next morning while my sons and I scouted for mule deer. We saw some bucks but no shooters,for my son's tastes anyway. I told them I liked one of the ones I saw and if he was there monday morning I was going to shoot him. Well I did. Not much of a hunt. Parked the jeep on one hill and shot him where I thought he would be. About a quarter mile away, all level hike. I think everyone expected more of me. Oh well I'm happy. I will post pics as soon as I get them. My son and brother ended up shooting bucks on the last day and a half that they passed on or said they wouldn't shoot. The one 2x2 we have on video crossing into the private land before the season opened. Moreammo said he wouldn't shoot that one. He ended up shooting it friday morning, the last day we were there."

Ya muley hunting out west here is tuff, hiking 1 mile form camp that hard core hunting there !!! real tuff hunting those tame deer ! Looking at your posts you post a lot of whitetail that are killed AROUND your place by trucks and buddies let see some pics of those BIG whitetails you be lucky enough to out down JUST SAYING!

Last edited:
Of course you could just shut me up by posting pictures of all your big mule deer Tarheel. But we all know that isn't going happen.[/QUOTE said:
I moved from there in 1976 and at the time didn't feel I had to quantify my successes with pictures or mounted heads; I hunted for the enjoyment of it and for the meat. As far as shutting you up; I have no desire to do such, just rave on to your hearts content.

I moved from there in 1976 and at the time didn't feel I had to quantify my successes with pictures or mounted heads; I hunted for the enjoyment of it and for the meat. As far as shutting you up; I have no desire to do such, just rave on to your hearts content.

1976? 20 years? OLD BALLS. I'll leave you and ss checks alone

WDH, are you suggesting that muley hunting today is different than it was in the 1960's?

I'd argue that whitetail are a lot smarter than muleys, but it's a lot easier to kill a mature whitey.

I've watched some really nice whitetail on the winter range that I'd love to bump in to during hunting season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back