MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

People Fleeing cities? Not according to Zillow

I'm not taking this to the political thread but does anyone really know how much we actually have?
I listen to a podcast on this a couple of months ago. My $0.02 summary. The majority of "illegal" immigrants basically cross the border and sit down and wait for agents to put them in the truck. Then they claim asylum and immediate get some basic civil rights. Illegal was in " " because this is the legal process, so the term is certainly debatable but it doesn't matter in the end. How many cross and don't sit-down? I would think it is higher than zero and less than anything that would skew the numbers from current estimates. Certainly the ones carrying drugs don't sit down, so there is an impact somewhere. What is lost in the politics is that the US needs immigration and most of the immigration is coming from countries we don't have a deep formal diplomatic relationship with. We can't really just load them back up on the next United airlines or Delta flight. It is sooo messed up. What I can say for certain, is the US benefits economically from immigration across all the various skill levels. It benefits us all to get it figured out.
Immigration?

I did a Quick look. ~3 million legal, 10-12 million illegal
"Legal" immigration is limited by visa allocation, causing even more confusion in the discussion.

I listen to a podcast on this a couple of months ago. My $0.02 summary. The majority of "illegal" immigrants basically cross the border and sit down and wait for agents to put them in the truck. Then they claim asylum and immediate get some basic civil rights. Illegal was in " " because this is the legal process, so the term is certainly debatable but it doesn't matter in the end. How many cross and don't sit-down? I would think it is higher than zero and less than anything that would skew the numbers from current estimates. Certainly the ones carrying drugs don't sit down, so there is an impact somewhere. What is lost in the politics is that the US needs immigration and most of the immigration is coming from countries we don't have a deep formal diplomatic relationship with. We can't really just load them back up on the next United airlines or Delta flight. It is sooo messed up. What I can say for certain, is the US benefits economically from immigration across all the various skill levels. It benefits us all to get it figured out.

"Legal" immigration is limited by visa allocation, causing even more confusion in the discussion.
That's interesting. I don't think I know anyone who is opposed to immigration but a screening process of some kind could only be better for everyone. There's got to be some sort of a control factor for the flow.

How is the illegal kept track of ? The difference made up after census? Jesus that's a large spread.
Got me. I doubt illegals are part of the census.

There is probably a statistical model based on Border Patrol contacts and some swag.

That's interesting. I don't think I know anyone who is opposed to immigration but a screening process of some kind could only be better for everyone. There's got to be some sort of a control factor for the flow.
Completely agree, but volume is incredible. (Note to future leaders- don't put economic sanctions on countries to destroy their economies if their citizens can walk to US). But we see there is no political gain in solving problems. All I can say is as much as Biden gets bashed by the far right on immigration, he gets bashed equally by the far left, because basically his policies are unchanged from Trump's minus some draconian stuff (like seperating kids from mothers) that I am sure came from Stephen Miller. I feel like fixing this is very important and relatively easy. Which is why everyone is mad about it.

Completely agree, but volume is incredible. (Note to future leaders- don't put economic sanctions on countries to destroy their economies if their citizens can walk to US). But we see there is no political gain in solving problems. All I can say is as much as Biden gets bashed by the far right on immigration, he gets bashed equally by the far left, because basically his policies are unchanged from Trump's minus some draconian stuff (like seperating kids from mothers) that I am sure came from Stephen Miller. I feel like fixing this is very important and relatively easy. Which is why everyone is mad about it.
Fixing it would be giving up something to politic over every 4 years. Same reason nothing really gets fixed. Ok enough politic talk or this is gonna resemble the other douche fest that's been going on since this morning.

So if we're gaining here at that rate and the economy needs it what is happening with every other economy that is going the other way and how does that effect the world economy.

So if we're gaining here at that rate and the economy needs it what is happening with every other economy that is going the other way and how does that effect the world economy.
Not any easy to answer that one. Clearly the US has rebounded much better than other countries, but there are other factors. Much of Eastern Europe took a lot of Ukrainians, but just haven't bounced like the US. Partly (ok, mostly) is because we have the most diverse economy, have become the largest energy producer, and dominate in tech. I.e. Semiconductors are the new oil, and we are the largest producer of actual oil. Pretty good spot to be in.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 6.12.36 PM.png

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back