Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Options to RAISE Comb on a Bolt Action Rifle

2rocky

These 50 mm obj. scopes seem to raise the line of sight and I feel like I need to Have an additional cheek piece on my Howa .223 witht the Hogue over molded stock... I want to make sure I'm looking at all the options before I throw it on the Drill press.

Option 1 The Karsten Adjustable Cheek piece. Popular with those tactical long range shooter fellers. Looks kinda SWATy to me, I'm just huntin'. At least I can lower it to pull the bolt out.

karsten7.jpg

Option 2 Eagle shooters pack. Do I need to pack a lunch too?
EAG.116-5T.jpg

Option 3 Beartooth comb raiser kit, Will it stay put?
images

I'm not interested in a leather lace on cheekpad.

Your preferences?

My preference would be a different stock that fit like I wanted! :D A Sako Hunter from McMillan would be sweet I'd think. Just ~$500 and 4-6 months and its yours! ;) A bit cheaper option might be the Weatherby Style stock from Bell and Carlson. The Howa and Vangard are the same action, so yours should fit.

That said, of the options you listed the first is probably the bestest, most permanent solution and the one I'd probably pick. Of the later two, I like the Beartooth kit better as I think it looks "better" and appears to have a better range of adjustment.

My preference would be a different stock that fit like I wanted!

Are you sure the aftermarket stocks will have a higher comb? Maybe a custom ordered Micky, not sure on the others? The ones I have are all pretty similar between factory/aftermarket. I think the Weatherbeater stocks have a larger drop, not a higher comb.

Another option is a custom fit wood stock (gasp)... Be a fun project, order from one of the various aftermarket makers and work on it this winter.

The best option would be to dump the Hubble. :D

I have the opposite problem on one of my rifles (Kimber Montana). Need taller mounts so I don't have to craw down the comb to get a good sight picture. I think the next size up mounts will work better.

I realize this is probably not helpful, but this is the reason I won't buy a 50mm scope. I am guessing you want the 50mm for varmint hunting in low light, if you are commited to it, I would drill the holes and go with your first option. It should give you the most solid cheek/stock weld.

....a 40mm obj VX2...cheaper, faster, aesthetic;)

...oops been mentioned

Last edited:
I use the eagle type on a couple of rifles. They have inserts that can adjust the height some. When my memory comes back I'll post mfg.

They have a model without loops or pouch if you prefer as well. If you click on triad tactical at the top of categories section it will take you to "all triad stock packs" click there and you can see the selection. Good quality.

http://www.triadtactical.com

Last edited:
This is the Rifle Color and all..

HOW_Ranchland-Sand_Scope_EGW.jpg

I think the Picatinney rail is partly to blame as well.

maybe explore a different mounting system. From your picture it looks as though you have some room to play with except for your rail getting in the way.

This is the Rifle Color and all..

HOW_Ranchland-Sand_Scope_EGW.jpg

I think the Picatinney rail is partly to blame as well.
Seeing that setup, you might consider dumping the rings and rail and just mount your scope in some Talley lightweight mounts. It'd lower the scope, drop some weight, and only cost about $35.

+1 those talley lt wts would be perfect for this set up and would definitely help lower your scope set-up to where you may not need anymore comb height.

I like the way you guys think!

Which mounts for a 40mm objective scope and which for a 50?

Stock# Description Height Finish Retail

920700 1" Howa 1500 (Ex-Low) F .300 R .425 BA $47.95
92X700 1" Howa 1500 (Ex-Low) (Extended Front) F .300 R .410 BA $47.95
930700 1" Howa 1500 (Low) F .400 R .510 BA $47.95
93X700 1" Howa 1500 Extended (Low) F .400 R .510 BA $47.95
940700 1" Howa 1500 (Med) F .500 R .610 BA $47.95
94X700 1" Howa 1500 Extended (Med) F .500 R .610 BA $47.95
950700 1" Howa 1500 (High) F .600 R .710 BA $47.95
95X700 1" Howa 1500 Extended (High) F .600 R .710 BA $47.95
960700 1" Howa 1500 (Ex-High) F .700 R .810 BA $47.95
96X700 1" Howa 1500 Extended (Ex-High) F .700 R .810 BA $47.95

Last edited: